Salamat_sa_Diyos

Got in through Detroit! Had a small bump to overcome...

37 posts in this topic

A K-1 is for valid for six months from the date of the medical, not the date of issuance.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

I arrived on Friday the 13th at the Detroit International Airport. Let me tell you the little bump I had to overcome.

So, I was at the immigration counter and the officer looks at my paper. Asks me a few questions. Looks at the paper and then calls on his walkie talkie: Supervisor needed for K1 at counter 38.

Supervisor: Do you know that he can send you back to the Philippines right now? You were supposed to be here in August.

Me: calm blank look while praying...

Supervisor: Where were you?

Me: I was in Singapore, working.

Supervisor: You were supposed to be here in August.

Me: Well, look. (Pointing to my passport) My visa was issued in July and I have until next week to be here.

Supervisor: No, look (pointing to the I-129F). This (Feb approval stamp) means you can get married. This one (passport) says you gotta get here. Now, you have to get married within 3 months or else you have to go home.

Me: Yes, I'm getting married on the 4th of Oct. Thank you.

Lesson learned: Be calm. Explain your side. And I really don't think that the approved I-129F means your K1 visa is approved.

Congrats! And Welcome to America!

Did you get any names of these CBP goons?

They were 'operating' with bad info, as a result of 'bad training'.

I suggest writing a letter of complaint.

Good idea. I would do that in future if same thing happened to me. good.gif

And congrats to the OP. I wish best both of you and your loved one!

Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

When I came to visit Dan back in June, i was kept back for 3 hours and interrogated like I was a criminal. I had all my paperwork for the K1, proof that i was going back home in 87 days, even my police records. #

They took me to the back of the airport, and made me wait in the waiting room where the staff were generally rude to the people in there, or talking about them with their buddies. I was then taken into a private room with a guy who then proceeded to google me, my fiance, where we lived, my fiancees band, and tried to trip me up about where we met.

Your advice is spot on, just stay calm. If you arent doing anything wrong, you will be fine!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

I am so sorry to hear that.....but Congrats you made it to America!

Let me share my experience with you..... This past May I came home from spending a month in Tunisia with my fiance. I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan, so my POE was Detroit, then final destination Grand Rapids. When I arrived at Detroit airport and had gone through customs, I was asked to follow the blue line. Two immigration officers stopped me and grilled me for about 15-20 minutes. I was asked over and over the reason of my visit to Tunisia, I repeatedly told them I had gone there to vacation with my fiance. I was asked for my fiance's full name, date of birth and nationality. They emptied both my of my luggage's, searched in my purse, wallet, opened my laptop, etc. One of the officers took my passport ( I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN), the officer made a phone call while looking at my passport. The younger officer questioned me about my relationship with my fiance and asked me if he had paid me to marry him so he could enter the US. Then he asked if I had paid him to marry him and how much? I answered very calmly, he proceeded to ask more personal questions like " do you know what color underwear does your fiance wears?" I felt violated and humiliated, so I reacted and asked him the reason for all the personal questions. He simply said " I am an immigration officer and can ask whatever I want", so he continued to ask questions like, where and how did you meet your fiance, why are you engaged to a foreign man from Algeria, again.. why out of all the countries in the world I chose to got to Tunisia? I became very upset and told him I have had enough, I have done nothing and I feel like I am being miss-treated , I am no TERRORIST, I hold an American passport and I want to go home, I am an American citizen. At that point another officer showed up and said don't worry Ma'am, everything is okay, the officers are just doing their job. You are okay to go now...The one officer approached me and handed back my passport and said you can put your stuff back in your luggage... I said " Thanks'!

This is how I was welcome back home by my own people.... Sad but true.

My fiance is coming home the first week of October and I will NOT have him fly to Detroit, instead I will have him come to Chicago O'Hare. What a horrific experience! I can't imagine how our loved ones will feel if treated the way I was treated by officers like these ones.

File a complaint! I regret not doing it. Never got the name of these two officers.

Welcome to America!

OMG..

I had a similar experience when I came back from Netherlands .. Detroit went thru my underwear ..laid them all over the table. Held me there for 2 hours, Brought over the drug dog.. asked me about this little bear I had and if I had drugs.. LOL. I looked at them and said "look at bow wow" does he think have drugs..? I couldn't believe how I was treated .. coming home to my own country. I am sure it will happen again when I come home from this long term visit this time. Sad ...

United_States.gifOur journeyBelgium.gif
07/01/2010 going to be parents
07/22/2010 ***MARRIED*** touched - sigh-
08/30/2010 deport
08/31/2010 Back in his country

03/08/2011 BABY GIRL !! 7 LBS 7 OZS ****NOW 2 1/2 YEARS OLD

Benefits office - IR-1

01/11/2013 I130 sent ***Starting over****
01/17/2013 I130 (priority date)
01/24/2013 NOA1
01/24/2013 I-130 NOA1 hardcopy received
02/25/2013 Case Transferred / received to Local office

03/25/2013 Case touched

07/11/2013 - News from Senator - interview possible - 7 months

08/09/2013 Correspondence - Interview set for sponsor
08/20/2013 Interview - 215 DAYS
08/20/2013 APPROVED!!!! - 215 DAYS
08/26/2013 NOA2 hard copy received

NVC
09/06/2013 NVC received the case

09/18/2013 Case# received, IIN received - sent to attorney
09/18/2013 I-864 AOS review fee ($88) online payment
09/23/2013 I-864 AOS status 'PAID',

xx/xx/20xx AOS package mailed out
09/18/2013 DS-260 IV fee ($230) online payment
09/23/2013 DS-260 IV status 'PAID', I

xx/xx/2013 IV package mailed out

XX/XX/201X NVC completion
Consulate - received xx/xx/201x -Hoping soon
XX/XX/201X Medical
XX/XX/201X Interview - CROSSING FINGERS

xx/xx/20xx I601/I212 - Approved
xx/xx/20xx Coming HOME!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear about these awful POEs at Detroit! I will be going entering through Detroit as well. I can't believe that they would ask such personal questions, or lay out your undergarments like the way they have. I'm so sorry for the way you were mistreated! sad.png

Also... I was surprised to read that the K1 is valid six months from the date of the medical, rather than of the visa issuance. I had never heard this until today. Can anyone explain why this is? Thank you!

Edited by dianaguava
08/21/2013: I-129F sent
08/23/2013: I-129F delivered
08/28/2013: NOA1 text/e-mail received
09/03/2013: NOA1 hard copy received
10/28/2013: NOA2!
11/02/2013: NOA2 hard copy received

Hm, so Detroit seems to be really bad. I guess I was lucky, I never really got hassled when I came back through DTW. But when my husband (USC) entered last time he was treated really rudely. The immigration officer asked him where he worked. And when my husband told him he said "Oh, I heard you guys sit around all day and don't do nothing". I find stuff like that inacceptable. I know that since 9/11 things are more tensed and and stressful at the airports, however, I find it very frustrating to be treated like this. It's abuse of power in my opinion.

Because love has no borders...

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear about these awful POEs at Detroit! I will be going entering through Detroit as well. I can't believe that they would ask such personal questions, or lay out your undergarments like the way they have. I'm so sorry for the way you were mistreated! sad.png

Also... I was surprised to read that the K1 is valid six months from the date of the medical, rather than of the visa issuance. I had never heard this until today. Can anyone explain why this is? Thank you!

Don't worry too much. Just stay calm, keep smiling and bite your tongue. Like I said for me it was OK every time apart from some unfriendliness and remarks that showed that these people are not very well educated rolleyes.gif.

Because love has no borders...

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

Chicago wasn't so nice to me and I am also an American Citizen and am married to an African. I was only in Africa for 10 days and this was before the recent problems in Syria.

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

CBP rarely hires people for their intelligence.

I ditto that, the most are fine respectful honest people but there are always some, the OP happened to get them, that have the short man's disease.

--------------------------------K-1----------------------------
October 1, 2011 Mailed I-129F Application
October 7, 20122 Notice Date of NOA 1
February 15, 2012 Received Hard Copy of Approved NOA 2
March 8, 2012 Rec email Pacs 3/4 US Embassy in Bogota
March 29, 2012 Scheduled Interview
June 7, 2012 Interview APPROVED!

------------------------------Arrival @ LAX-----------------------------
July 27, 2012 Arrived POE @ LAX
October 21, 2012 Married (L) (L)

------------------------------AOS----------------------------------
April 20, 2013 Mailed AOS package

April 29, 2013 AOS NOA

May 22, 2013 Biometric date

June 7, 2013 NOA, rec. interview date for 7-16-13

June 18, 2013 EAD/AP Approved

June 29, 2013 Rec. in mail EAD/AP combo card

July 8, 2013 AOS process on HOLD, interview canceled unsure.png as wife returned to Colombia on medical emergency!

Oct. 17, 2013 AOS Interview re-schedule to November 20, 2013

Nov. 1, 2013 Rec. Notice from USCIS that 11-20-13 interview "due to unforseen circumstances" has been CANCELED. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

December 18, 2013 Rec. notice that AOS interview has been re-scheduled for January 17, 2014 (we will see)

January 17, 2014 Interview and AOS was APPROVED! dancin5hr.gif

January 27, 2014 Received GREEN CARD in mail! kicking.gif

-----------------------ROC----------------------

December 23, 2015 ROC Mailed I-751 to CSC

December 30, 2015 ROC NOA1

January 25, 2016 ROC Bio appointment

May 26, 2016 Approved!

June 4, 2016 - Received 10-year PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD in mail! :thumbs:

-----------------------CITIZENSHIP------------------

November 16, 2016 Mailed

November 19, 2016 NOA date

December 13, 2016 Biometrics

I arrived on Friday the 13th at the Detroit International Airport. Let me tell you the little bump I had to overcome.

So, I was at the immigration counter and the officer looks at my paper. Asks me a few questions. Looks at the paper and then calls on his walkie talkie: Supervisor needed for K1 at counter 38.

Supervisor: Do you know that he can send you back to the Philippines right now? You were supposed to be here in August.

Me: calm blank look while praying...

Supervisor: Where were you?

Me: I was in Singapore, working.

Supervisor: You were supposed to be here in August.

Me: Well, look. (Pointing to my passport) My visa was issued in July and I have until next week to be here.

Supervisor: No, look (pointing to the I-129F). This (Feb approval stamp) means you can get married. This one (passport) says you gotta get here. Now, you have to get married within 3 months or else you have to go home.

Me: Yes, I'm getting married on the 4th of Oct. Thank you.

Lesson learned: Be calm. Explain your side. And I really don't think that the approved I-129F means your K1 visa is approved.

Worst POE, ever. I was studying in the Philippines with my green card, when I was about 16 years old, my mom became a citizen so we automatically became a USC since we were minors. I came back to the US since I can't overstay, and I was a month over 6 months, and this is how it went..

CBP Officer told me, "You know you're not supposed to over stay right? You were there over 6 mos. What were you doing over there?"

I was 17 at the time and scared as #######!

Me: "I went to school over there.."

CBP Officer: "Well, if you're planning to go back and forth, do not overstay or we'll revoke this greencard" *Shaking my green card in front of my face*

Me: "Well, I'm a US Citizen now, because my mom just became a citizen.."

CBP Officer: "No, that doesn't mean you're a citizen you have to apply for your own.. your mom is a citizen, but you're not."

Me: "That's not what they told --"

CBP Officer: *interrupts* "Excuse me.. I think I know better.."

Me: "Okay.."

Ugh! And just for that, they searched my luggage like crazy! Throwing my clothes everywhere. SMH. I hate Detroit.

On October 2013, our I-129F Refused under 221(g)

So our son and I went back home to the PHL..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 10, 2014 - Marriage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

CR1 Filing under DCF ;)^_^ :whistle:

08/05/2014 - Submitted I-130 at the USEM. :yes:

08/08/2014 - NOA2 :dance:

08/11/2014 - Emailed Packet 3 & Case Number. :rolleyes:

09/05/2014 - Completed Medical at SLEC. :thumbs:

09/12/2014 - Interview [Approved]! :dancing:

09/19/2014 - Visa RECEIVED! :jest:

10/19/2014 - POE ATL! :wub:

heart.gif

My fiance, while connecting through Detroit on his way here to Chicago, was pulled to the side, had all his belongings thoroughly searched, and was interrogated for 45 minutes. (He said it wasn't that bad, though; they weren't overly rude or authoritarian in their approach or anything.) With all the flying back and forth that my fiance and I have done, with all the different airports we've been through (due to layovers and varying destinations), Detroit is the only airport on either side of the Atlantic in which either of us has experienced this, so it was a bit of a surprise.

All of the other airports let us straight through after a few basic questions and have been almost disappointing in what they've asked to see... both of us always bring adequate documentation showing we have ties to our home countries and are not at any risk to stay illegally, but we haven't been asked for them. It's like, c'mon, I went through all this work, let me show you my apartment lease and letter from my employer! *lol* All they really have cared about is seeing a booked return flight, and then it's all "enjoy your visit" :)

Chicago O'Hare has treated us well (wonder which Chicago airport ShamoLisa is referring to, O'Hare or Midway?) They seem to be really focused on getting everyone through very quickly. They do an excellent job of that and have never given us any extra hassle about anything. Customer service does sort of fall through the cracks in the rush, though I did have one experience where a TSA officer saw I was nervous (I don't really like flying, and this happened to be my first international trip) so he talked with me, complimenting my tattoos and such, to put me more at ease. I thought that was really sweet.

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.