rad259

Need to bring my pregnant wife to US soon

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

I am a US citizen and living/working in China. I married a Chinese national in 2009. Our baby daughter was born in 2011 in China and she got her US citizenship.

Now I need to move back to US due to a job change. All of a sudden, I need to apply an immigrant visa for my wife. I submitted the I-130 in July, 2013. However, my wife is pregnant and due in Feb, 2014. I prefer to get our 2nd baby born in US.

Then I read that IR1 visa still takes months to be approved. To bring my pregnant wife to US in-time, can I (should I) apply for a B-2 visa just in case I cannot get IR1 visa before she can no longer fly safely? She has her B-1 visa until Sep. 4, 2013.

Thanks,

George

Can you do direct consular filing in China?

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

To where did you submit the I-130? You can file directly with the consulate in Guanzhou. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=44248875d714d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=1ac900c262197210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Otherwise, your wife being pregnant does not give her special status or in any way give her a way to expedite.

You can go faster than normal because you live in China, but that fact is unrelated to your wife's pregnancy.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Way back 2009 , my husband petition me, and he request to expedited , and it was granted. Total process is 4months.

So i gave birth here in the USA. U need to have a valid reason, just try it.. Theres no harm to try.

Timeline for my Mother

April 19, 2013 - submit the form I-130

April 22, 2013 - Receive the NOA1

July 29, 2013 - Approved NOA2 ( 82 working days)

July 30, 2013 - USCIS shipped my documents to NVC

Aug 5, 2013 - Arrived at NVC Building

Aug 13, 2013 - Got the NVC case # via PHONE

Aug 14, 2013 - Got the Invoice # via PHONE

Aug 15, 2013 - Send my DS-3032 via Email

Aug 16, 2013 - AOS Pay

Aug 17, 2013 - Got an email to print the COVER SHEET

Aug 21, 2013 - send the AOS overnight at NVC

Aug 28, 2013 - Accept the DS-3032

Aug 30, 2013 - IV BILL pay and Documents Sent to NVC receive the checklist AOS.

September 19, 2013 Sent back the checklist

September 20, 2013 Sept 26, arrived @ NVC

Sept 30,2013 - already encode to their system

ADVANCE MEDICAL @ St. Luke - SEPTEMBER 23, 2013

CASE COMPLETE AS OF TODAY : OCTOBER 23,2013

NOVEMBER 1 , 2013 -Documents left at NVC - Your case is in transit to the Consular Section. Your interview date was provided to you by the National Visa Center

NOVEMBER 4, 2013 Delivered - Signed for by : CEZAR NARTEA

NOVEMBER 5, 2013 - CEAC Case Creation Date: 13-Aug-2013 Status Updated Date: 05-Nov-2013 Your case is ready for your interview when scheduled at the U.S. Consular section. If you have already scheduled an appointment for an interview, please prepare your documents as directed in your appointment letter and appear at the consulate on the appointed date and time. Otherwise, please wait until you have received interview scheduling instructions.

DECEMBER 09, 2013 INTERVIEW DATE FOR MY MOTHER ( scheduled by NVC)

RESCHEDULED ONLINE for my mother interview early, NOVEMBER 18, 2013 - PASSED THE INTERVIEW!!!

11-18-2013 ceac -AP

11-20-2013 ceac - READY

11-21-2013 ceac - ISSUED

11-25-2013 -2go -- transit

11-26-2013 - VISA ON HAND

12-05-2013 - scheduled fly to USA.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

To where did you submit the I-130? You can file directly with the consulate in Guanzhou. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=44248875d714d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=1ac900c262197210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Otherwise, your wife being pregnant does not give her special status or in any way give her a way to expedite.

You can go faster than normal because you live in China, but that fact is unrelated to your wife's pregnancy.

Agree with Harpa, DCF in Guangzhou. :thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

I see two options:

1. file I-130 to USCIS Office in BeiJing or Guangzhou (whichever you are covered for) or

2. all jump on plane in next 2 days. Wife get new I-94 covering 3 to 6 months. File for adjustment of status once in USA.

----

If you choose 1, expect about 3 months

If you choose 2, expect about 10 months max.

---

DCF filing, IMO, is better than filing to the Chicago lockbox for chasing IR-1 visa.

----

I assume child has USA passport already. If not, option 2 not possible.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

I see two options:

1. file I-130 to USCIS Office in BeiJing or Guangzhou (whichever you are covered for) or

2. all jump on plane in next 2 days. Wife get new I-94 covering 3 to 6 months. File for adjustment of status once in USA.

----

If you choose 1, expect about 3 months

If you choose 2, expect about 10 months max.

---

DCF filing, IMO, is better than filing to the Chicago lockbox for chasing IR-1 visa.

----

I agree doing DCF is the faster option. My wife and had it done in Frankfurt in just a couple months, too. Friends of ours got DCF done in just 6 weeks. They made an appointment and handed all documents to the CO directly who checked on the spot if all was in place. This speeded up everything signaficantly for them. I would ask if this method is also possible in China.

However adjusting status in the US will always have possibility of your wife beeing deported. She would enter the US with a visitor visa. Visitors are expected to leave again once their visit is up. If you get a bad CO at USCIS you will really have to proofe, that your wife had no intention of immigrating and you guys decided this in the spur of the moment. Looking at just entering the US one day before the validilty of the visa is up, and being pregnant will make this a hard case.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Timeline

A visitor's visa would give her enough time (six months) to have the baby in the U.S. - I don't see any fraud issues, since the baby will be an American citizen anyway. The elder sibling might be left with relatives, if he doesn't already have a passport.

Once the baby is born, the decision can be made as to whether to go back to China for the I-130 ("yes" I'm sure is the correct answer there). I believe only a short trip for the interview would be necessary, which can be delayed for up to a year before the file is discarded.

A DCF timeframe (assuming you filed with Beijing or Guangzhou) would give her the visa most likely before the end of the year. Because of how quickly it all progresses these days, expediting would probably not be possible - the limiting factor might be the available interview slots.

You said, "I submitted the I-130 in July, 2013.", but you didn't say where or what the current status is.

There's more than a little bit of unneeded pressure there for you, I'm sure.

Edited by RandyW

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Timeline

A DCF timeframe (assuming you filed with Beijing or Guangzhou) would give her the visa most likely before the end of the year. Because of how quickly it all progresses these days, expediting would probably not be possible - the limiting factor might be the available interview slots.

You said, "I submitted the I-130 in July, 2013.", but you didn't say where or what the current status is.

I filed I-130 to Chicago lockbox, without knowing DCF in Guangzhou is an option. Didn't do enough home work on my side.

I checked the status at USCIS web site. It is still at "Initial Review" phase.

Is re-submitting I-130 to Guangzhou Consulate an option for me now? Is it faster, or could get the matter worse?

Timeline

I filed to Chicago lockbox without knowing DCF in Guangzhou is a possibility.

Didn't know living in China is an advantage on speed. I thought the agency must be over loaded with petitions from China due to a large population. Further explanation?

Timeline

---

----

I already submitted I-130 to Chicago lockbox. Can I resubmit a new I-130 as DCF filing to Guangzhou?

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

A visitor's visa would give her enough time (six months) to have the baby in the U.S. - I don't see any fraud issues, since the baby will be an American citizen anyway. The elder sibling might be left with relatives, if he doesn't already have a passport.

The fraud issue is not concerning having the child in the US. This would be totally legit. It would occur though when entering the US with a visitor visa and then adjusting the status for his wife. This is where problems could occur.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Timeline

The fraud issue is not concerning having the child in the US. This would be totally legit. It would occur though when entering the US with a visitor visa and then adjusting the status for his wife. This is where problems could occur.

The term "anchor babies" should ring a bell there (and may raise one at the POE). This won't be the case here, since the baby will be an American citizen regardless of where it's born.

Adjusting status after using the visitor's visa is not a problem, either - if it goes through before the I-94 expires, or through the I-130 by interviewing in China after the baby is born.

It all goes to the comfort level of the OP and his wife.

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing

Timeline

To draw up a timetable here, assuming they wish to use the B-1 visa

Sept. 4 - Enter the U.S. with the B-1 visa

~Feb - Have the baby

March 4 - return to China to await the (delayed if need be) interview for the I-130

玉林,桂 resident

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.