Wade&Carito

married but difficulty with SS office, "K1 Process Flowchart" needs updated

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I followed the advice here and the flow chart only to find out that we should not have applied for the ss# before we got married, it made things a little more confusing and now after we got married SS office says we are no longer k1 and they cannot change the name on the ss card now until after we go through homeland security.

I am confused now. I guess we should go through the steps with homeland security for AOS at this point:

I-693 and medical exam

G-325A,

I-864

I-485

G-1145

I-765

Then after that go back to SS office?

what have others done at this point in the process?

thanks!

Wade

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You should and can file for an SSN before marriage. It is often better to file for the SSN in your maiden name because, as you have found out, there are lots of SSA workers that do not know their own jobs. They give out bad immigration 'advice' that they have no business giving. Marriage does not invalidate you entering with a K-1. Ask to speak to a supervisor. If showing them the print out that states a K-1 is eligible does not work, even with the supervisor, then contact the SSA through their website. Some people have been given a response that they can print out and take to their local SSA office to show they can indeed get their SSN. Of course, this all must be done before having 2 weeks left before your I-94 expires. If it is past then, or the I-94 is already expired, then you must wait for your EAD after filing for AOS. http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

By the way, another medical exam is not required if your K-1 medical was done within a year of filing for AOS. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/428381-i-693-report-of-medical-examination-and-vaccination-report/?p=6206232

Also, don't forget the I-131 > http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Social Security Numbers ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Jay-Kay is correct, Brother Wade.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

ok thanks, I was told at the SS office when we applied before we got married that we should wait until after we got married. I told him I was advised to do it before and he thought it was peculiar because it would be easier to go in just one time with the marriage certificate for the card to be issued in the new name and not doing it twice. he seemed a little reluctant to do it but he did. Now going back I am told that we cannot get the new SS card with the new name because we need to officially go through DHS for the AOS stuff first. That is why i was saying that the steps might need revised, but who knows, it depends on who you talk to I guess.

Should I go back to another SS office or not even bother with the SS now and go ahead with the rest of it?

I assume they kept all the medical stuff on file then, they would not give a copy of the medical exam done in Ecuador for the k1 visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You do it first.

Not everyone changes their name, I did not.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
I assume they kept all the medical stuff on file then, they would not give a copy of the medical exam done in Ecuador for the k1 visa.

Your medical documents are in the sealed envelope you hand over at your POE when you entered. You may have been given a copy of your DS-3025 vaccination sheet. Most consulates give one, but some do not.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

You should and can file for an SSN before marriage. It is often better to file for the SSN in your maiden name because, as you have found out, there are lots of SSA workers that do not know their own jobs. They give out bad immigration 'advice' that they have no business giving. Marriage does not invalidate you entering with a K-1. Ask to speak to a supervisor. If showing them the print out that states a K-1 is eligible does not work, even with the supervisor, then contact the SSA through their website. Some people have been given a response that they can print out and take to their local SSA office to show they can indeed get their SSN. Of course, this all must be done before having 2 weeks left before your I-94 expires. If it is past then, or the I-94 is already expired, then you must wait for your EAD after filing for AOS. http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

By the way, another medical exam is not required if your K-1 medical was done within a year of filing for AOS. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/428381-i-693-report-of-medical-examination-and-vaccination-report/?p=6206232

Also, don't forget the I-131 > http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Social Security Numbers ~

No real benefit in doing the SS card before versus after married, unless they wait too long into the 90 days to get married and not adequate time remaining on the I-94.

My wife waited until we were married to apply for her SSN that way the card was in her married name coming out of the shoot - ;)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I am unsure what's what with the OP -

but if no SSN and are still within the window with the I-94,

follow this:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/405546-ssn-howto/

apply in VISA name. Go back next day, get the number (not the card) or learn of further problems.

Most SSA staff are braindead and not know how to properly process a K-1 visa holder.

----

If you hold SSN card and just wanted to change the name, you must show federal document or ID with that name change before they will accept it.

Best done when EAD or Green Card in hand, showing the the new name.

----

translation ? go through homeland security. = have EAD or Green card in new name.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

No real benefit in doing the SS card before versus after married, unless they wait too long into the 90 days to get married and not adequate time remaining on the I-94.

My wife waited until we were married to apply for her SSN that way the card was in her married name coming out of the shoot - wink.png

The only 'benefit' is to avoid the hassles of dealing with uninformed SSA workers. Some people get theirs with no problem after marriage using only their marriage certificate, as it should be. However, there are plenty that experience things differently when they apply for their SSN, such as the OP in this thread. Some are told they cannot find the name in the system. Some are told they are no longer on a K-1 since they married. Some are told since they married and changed their name they have to wait for the green card. Some have even been told ridiculous things such as their visa changed from a K-1 to a K-3 since they married.

Anyway, the advice to file to right away in your maiden name comes from the silliness some folks have to endure. In some cases, it is less of a hassle to get the SSN without issue and then change the name with the marriage certificate and/or EAD later.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My wife waited until we were married to apply for her SSN that way the card was in her married name coming out of the shoot - wink.png

Ya know - I'm gonna follow you - each time you write this stuff.

Why? It's #######. You're giving false hope to folk , leading them to believe that what worked for your wife will work for all.

It's not that way, at all.

You got exceptionally lucky. USUALLY, when folk apply in the married name (K-1 visa holders) within the 90 days on the I-94, a properly trained SSA staffer will send the stuff out for DHS Verification.

That was skipped, with you and yer wife.

I hope you realize how exceptionally lucky you were. I also hope that you stop repeating 'your story' as the gospel.

It's not the gospel. It doesn't work (mostly). You and your wife were exceptionally lucky, IMO bullying a SSA staffer to make it happen without the SAVE db lookup.

I ask you stop repeating your story, as it's not the way it's supposed to be done at any SSA office.

Thanks in advance !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ya know - I'm gonna follow you - each time you write this stuff.

Why? It's #######. You're giving false hope to folk , leading them to believe that what worked for your wife will work for all.

It's not that way, at all.

You got exceptionally lucky. USUALLY, when folk apply in the married name (K-1 visa holders) within the 90 days on the I-94, a properly trained SSA staffer will send the stuff out for DHS Verification.

That was skipped, with you and yer wife.

I hope you realize how exceptionally lucky you were. I also hope that you stop repeating 'your story' as the gospel.

It's not the gospel. It doesn't work (mostly). You and your wife were exceptionally lucky, IMO bullying a SSA staffer to make it happen without the SAVE db lookup.

I ask you stop repeating your story, as it's not the way it's supposed to be done at any SSA office.

Thanks in advance !

I don't know what you say was skipped by SSA, they pulled my wife's info up on the computer, once he looked things over he stated all was good and we went home, two weeks later the card arrived. Nothing is sent out anywhere, the person needs to be in the system before SSA will issue the SSN.

That process is NO different then what was suggested except the earlier suggestion was do it BEFORE getting married, only difference is my wife waited until after she was married.... same process only in her married name. Just what are you saying is sent out to DHS? Nothing is "sent out", the info on my wife was in the computer when the SSA personal looked her up.

So the other person saying to get the SSN after a couple weeks of clearing POE in their single name ( BEFORE getting married) is OK with you, but to wait until married and complete the same process in her married name is not right? Give me a break.

I understand there are idiots at SSA, and they seem to get confused about how to do an SSN application in one's married name. But if the K-1 applies in their single name... no issues.... nothing is sent anywhere(?) and they get the card in a couple weeks? Then go back after having the green card to get the SS card changed. Good grief... You need to come up with a better one than that.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

SSN eligibility is related to K1 staus.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

The real problem is that nothing is spelled out very clearly and the SS office says they do not know anything about the types of visa's that is homeland security which is a different agency. There is no one agency to go through with clear instruction of the whole process. Many people are fumbling around trying to figure it all out, some get lucky and some get jerks who do not know what they are doing. So it seems the rules keep changing and the process can be different for different people.

Timeline

They should know. It is spelled out to them on their own website > https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

A K-1 is a legal alien allowed to work and therefore eligible for an SSN.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.