tikijj

Is it a must to apply for a US passport after receiving the naturalization certificate?

11 posts in this topic

Hi all. I have two questions. I've completed the oath ceremony and I've received the naturalization certificate. The lady who handed me the papers after the oath, told me to pick up my passport at my local post office. I went to the post office and there I learned that I'm not actually picking up the passport, but I'm applying for it.

I have no plans to leave the country for any reason in the near future. Is it a must that I apply for a US passport after receiving the naturalization certificate? Or is it optional? If it's optional, I'd rather apply for it when I need it.

And my second question. Now that I have the naturalization certificate, do I have to change the address on it every time I move to a different address? It doesn't have my full address on it, but it does say I'm residing in xx town.

Thank you all for your help.

My mother was naturalized January '12 and she still has no passport, because she doesn't plan on leaving the country anyway. So I don't think it's really required?

About the certificate.. I'm not sure about that, maybe you should check FAQs on the USCIS website.

On October 2013, our I-129F Refused under 221(g)

So our son and I went back home to the PHL..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 10, 2014 - Marriage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

CR1 Filing under DCF ;)^_^ :whistle:

08/05/2014 - Submitted I-130 at the USEM. :yes:

08/08/2014 - NOA2 :dance:

08/11/2014 - Emailed Packet 3 & Case Number. :rolleyes:

09/05/2014 - Completed Medical at SLEC. :thumbs:

09/12/2014 - Interview [Approved]! :dancing:

09/19/2014 - Visa RECEIVED! :jest:

10/19/2014 - POE ATL! :wub:

heart.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi all. I have two questions. I've completed the oath ceremony and I've received the naturalization certificate. The lady who handed me the papers after the oath, told me to pick up my passport at my local post office. I went to the post office and there I learned that I'm not actually picking up the passport, but I'm applying for it.

I have no plans to leave the country for any reason in the near future. Is it a must that I apply for a US passport after receiving the naturalization certificate? Or is it optional? If it's optional, I'd rather apply for it when I need it.

And my second question. Now that I have the naturalization certificate, do I have to change the address on it every time I move to a different address? It doesn't have my full address on it, but it does say I'm residing in xx town.

No. If you don't need to travel there's really no need to apply for the passport if you don't want to. If you do ever have travel plans you MUST enter the country on your US passport. I think many people just get it over with because you never know when you might have to travel on short notice.

You don't have to inform the USCIS of your moves from now going forward. You're finally free! Congrats and enjoy! smile.png

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Filed: Timeline

Passport is a good backup document to prove your citizenship (eg. DL renewal). Naturalization Certificate costs $345 to place it! There's no reason and I don't think you can update(except your name) the certificate when you move. you are done with USCIS. move wherever, move whenever, they don't care.

Edited by John9981

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

There is no need for you to have a passport except if you are planning to travel internationally. Other than that your naturalization certificate is legal proof you are an American.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your knowledge on this. I've made an appointment for tomorrow at my post office (Yep, you need an appointment to apply for a passport), so I'm going to drop by there later today and cancel it.

I've already had my two weeks vacation and sadly, there's no plan for a trip overseas in the near future, so I've got no need for a passport at the moment. I need to renew my drivers license in 3 years, so maybe I'll apply for it around that time, so it makes it easy to complete the 6 points verification. Also, I'm glad that I don't have to change my address on my naturalization certificate every time I move lol.

Thank you everyone for your help.

You are now a USC and do not have to tell anybody about your change of address. Also the person who sponsored you via the I-864 is no longer required to file a change of address as you have met one of the conditions to be released from the I-864. Up to you as to when you apply for a passport, but keep in mind that you will need to provide the naturalization certificate as proof of USC until you get a passport. If you misplace the naturalization certificate you will need to apply for a replacment which will add time to a passport application. IMHO, you should get a passport now. I have used mine at the DMV when changing states and the lady was looking at my KS DL and was telling me I needed to come back with my BC and this was after waiting 2 hours. I pulled out my passport and showed her that for proof of age and ID and citizenship. So sometimes it is not about travelling, but just having an accepted form of ID. Also, what happens if you have an emergency and need to travel immediately or you need to travel for work. The cost for a US passport is cheap compared to all the fees we have paid during this process. It is entirely up to you.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You could always just apply for the passport card. It's proof of citizenship (in case you lose the naturalisation certificate) and it's only about $30 or $40 + a $25 application fee... which isn't bad at all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from main U.S. Citizenship forum to the new "Passports, etc." subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

To provide a good answer to your question, NO! Just as long as you have valid/legal documents you are good to go! I offer as an example, I carry my US ID card with me always.

Sid

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.