Batunde

U.S. Citizen not allowed in U.K.

154 posts in this topic

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

To the OP I would like to appoligies for my part in turning your thread in to a slanging match....

I try to respect others views and opintions as I do authority... not always easy to do but we have to deal....

I will now bow out of this post as I nothing further to add....

Kezzie

Hey...........this thread went way off track! Just like to say that it was really stupid to travel with a resume for whatever reason.......POE officials did do the right thing, what else could they think? Best thing you could do is to try and get yourself a visa, but also remember that the refusal will be recorded against you. I am sorry that you had go through this experience. Better luck next time.

Edited by RMHurd

I feel Good...........like the moon is shining just for me!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

Eligible in November 2012

I'm a Nigerian American, has both Nigerian and U.S. passport respectively. I reside in U.S and I believe under the commonwealth law, U.S. Citizens has the right to enter UK for six months to visit family.

Is the U.S. a commonwealth?

and what law?

Commonwealth Law is now defunct.

It was that a citizen of any ONE Commonwealth Country (all of which were British ruled during at least part of 19th century, some also part of 20th) could enter another for up to six months as visitor--with NO visa. This system broke down in 1970's/early 1980's:

• visitors from poorer Commonwealth countries (India, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Guyana, etc) decided to stay on (as immigrants) in more prosperous ones (Canada for example) by marrying citizens of the latter--analogous to the oft-described situation of coming into US on B-2 with intention of marrying a USC and adjusting status
  • also, some ex-citizens of India (naturalised to Canada) decided to use the same Commonwealth Law for promoting insurgencies in India; India's response was to ask for a mutual visa policy--implemented in 1984.

US was NEVER a member of Commonwealth of Nations. The closest you got of anything to do with "Commonwealth Law" was that Canada PR's who were citizens of Commonwealth Countries (India, Bangladesh, Kenya, Guyana, etc) could visit US without having to apply for B-2 while Canada PR's from elsewhere (post-1971 Pakistan--as it voluntarily left Commonwealth in January 1972 till reinstated in 1990, Venezuela, Brazil, Burundi, Zaire, etc) had to get B-2's. After 9-11, the only Canada PR's who DON't have to get B-2's to visit US are USC's and VWP visitors.

What you thought of as "Commonwealth Law" to allow up to six months visit to UK is actually "reciprocity VWP".

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Why does being born in England give you more right to be in England?

Actually, it doesn't. Or at least not since 1983. Being born in England today doesn't give you any right to be in England, per se.

You really do need to read what i say rather just spout your hate. Everybody is free when they are born. They are soon shuffled off into school and work and paying taxes etc but that is all from the same people that brought you immigration and terrorism.

You forgot religion -- another way to keep people from thinking outside the box.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Actually, it doesn't. Or at least not since 1983. Being born in England today doesn't give you any right to be in England, per se.

You really do need to read what i say rather just spout your hate. Everybody is free when they are born. They are soon shuffled off into school and work and paying taxes etc but that is all from the same people that brought you immigration and terrorism.

You forgot religion -- another way to keep people from thinking outside the box.

Well my list was not meant to be all inclusive but yes religion too. You are what you eat so eat more variety.

23rd February 2005 Married.

10th May 2005 I130 packet sent to TEXAS forwarded to Cali.

12th May 2005 NOA1 Received date.

14th May 2005 delivered at 4:34 am LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92607.

23rd May 2005 NOA1 notice date.

27th May 2005 NOA1 hits the mailbox.

13th August 2005 po po form mailed off with £10 cheque.

2nd September 2005 po po letter arrives.

3rd September a 4 week visit to GA assuming i get allowed in.

30th september 130 days on I130 and counting.

(Hopefully i finally get a wedding ring today too)

30th November NOA2 date. woohoo

January 2006 case arrives at NVC finally(not sure about exact date)

17th February 2006 IV bill mailed back

21st April case complete (sorry i have missed some dates of forms going back and forth)

2nd May case forwarded to Embassy in London

10th July 2006 visa interview 10.30 a.m.

clyde80b.gifmeandnikki.gif

http://www.corona-baster.org

Filed: Timeline

Well my list was not meant to be all inclusive but yes religion too. You are what you eat so eat more variety.

Well I'd like to know who pissed in your cornflakes :)

mmmmm... cornflakes are good.

Cornflakes are blonde, you wouldn't be saying that if it were bran flakes, OH NO! poor ol' brown bran flakes, I bet they don't go anywhere near your mouth without a thorough inspection.

Cerealist!

On a serious note, it's a shame the OP got bounced at immigration, but you were carrying a CV, and regardless of colour, People from Nigeria are notorious for 'forgetting' to go home as far as UK immigration is concerned.

People have been put on the plane back home for less: First time I went to the U.S in 2002, I nearly got knocked back at immigration for not having the address I was staying at in the U.S, but fortunately the immigration lady alowed my friend to call our mate that lived in Baltimore on a payphone in the airport to get his address.

Big meanie.

mmmmm... cornflakes are good.

Cornflakes are blonde, you wouldn't be saying that if it were bran flakes, OH NO! poor ol' brown bran flakes, I bet they don't go anywhere near your mouth without a thorough inspection.

Cerealist!

On a serious note, it's a shame the OP got bounced at immigration, but you were carrying a CV, and regardless of colour, People from Nigeria are notorious for 'forgetting' to go home as far as UK immigration is concerned.

People have been put on the plane back home for less: First time I went to the U.S in 2002, I nearly got knocked back at immigration for not having the address I was staying at in the U.S, but fortunately the immigration lady alowed my friend to call our mate that lived in Baltimore on a payphone in the airport to get his address.

:o I'm no such thing!

I happen to really like bran flakes. Nice, crunchy bran flakes, with sweet, chewy raisins in with them. YUM!

Just becuase I happen to inspect ALL my food before it goes into my mouth does NOT make me a cerealist. Just careful.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's just sad that a US citizen born in Nigeria is treated like a Nigerian and not like a native born US citizen. Discrimination just never ends.

This is why countries like Canada let you conceal the country of birth on your passport.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It's just sad that a US citizen born in Nigeria is treated like a Nigerian and not like a native born US citizen. Discrimination just never ends.

This is why countries like Canada let you conceal the country of birth on your passport.

I thought a Nigerian would need a Visa?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

One hole in your argument: many from the Sub-continent are also known to "forget" to go home, or to try extending their stays.

Both of my passports specify my birthplace (Chennai) and I never had any problems entering UK on the Canadian one (haven't tried the US one yet for it).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Oh, aye. Just ask Ewen my address NOW. He'll never forget it again after having had to get a flight attendant to find me in the Arrivals lounge and write it down for the Immigration people! It was his first time in the States and he didn't know he needed my full address.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

• 1 year later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.