Batunde

U.S. Citizen not allowed in U.K.

154 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I just had the most terrible experience I could ever imagine travelling overseas. I'm a Nigerian American, has both Nigerian and U.S. passport respectively. I reside in U.S and I believe under the commonwealth law, U.S. Citizens has the right to enter UK for six months to visit family. I got to UK and the next thing was UK immigration grinding me for over 4hrs reason why I'm in U.K. I told them coming to visit and I was holding my return ticket. Even despite that they spoke with my family in UK at the airport to verify my visit. They refused my entry. They claim that I have my resume (CV) in my folder, that means I'm coming in to work in UK. This sound too absurd for me, not to mention money spent already.

I just want to know if there is any lawyer that can help me with this issue. I'm very furious right now. I suspecting Class action and Hate crime on this issue.

Edited by Batunde

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had the most terrible experience I could ever imagine travelling overseas. I'm a Nigerian American, has both Nigerian and U.S. passport respectively. I reside in U.S and I believe under the commonwealth law, U.S. Citizens has the right to enter UK for six months to visit family. I got to UK and the next thing was UK immigration grinding me for over 4hrs reason why I'm in U.K. I told them coming to visit and I was holding my return ticket. Even despite that they spoke with my family in UK at the airport to verify my visit. They refused my entry. They claim that I have my resume (CV) in my folder, that means I'm coming in to work in UK. This is sound too absurd for me, not to mention money spent already.

I just want to know if there is any lawyer that can help me with this issue. I'm very furious right now.

(1) Which passport did you show them?

(2) If you DID have a CV, it was not a good idea. I got refused entry into US once (long before I got my first TN-1) for just this reason.

BTW, it's not "commonwealth law" (as US was never part of the Commonwealth) but Visa Waiver reciprocity.

Unfortunately (I know this sounds callous), the only guarantee of entry permission into UK is to have a British passport.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

(2) If you DID have a CV, it was not a good idea. I got refused entry into US once (long before I got my first TN-1) for just this reason.

BTW, it's not "commonwealth law" (as US was never part of the Commonwealth) but Visa Waiver reciprocity.

Unfortunately (I know this sounds callous), the only guarantee of entry permission into UK is to have a British passport.

I showed them my U.S. Passport and ofcourse when they were searching my luggage they found my Nigeria Passport and thats when they saw some old printed copy of resume (CV). So with a U.S. Passport I will still have to pray before getting into UK? Meanwhile I have been there before for like 2wks holiday.

Now my option is to get a visa. I'm thinking of getting "Holiday Working Visa" how easy that to get I dont know.

Edited by Batunde

They have the right to deny you entry, even on a US passport. They want to know that you are there for the reasons you say you are - a temporary stay on holiday (or whatever the case may be), and the burden is on you to prove that (if asked).

Our countries are pretty good allies, and in ways, closely 'related' - but that still guarantees you nothing as far as entry.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I showed them my U.S. Passport and ofcourse when they were searching my luggage they found my Nigeria Passport and thats when they saw some old printed copy of resume (CV). So with a U.S. Passport I will still have to pray before getting into UK? Meanwhile I have been there before for like 2wks holiday.

Now my option is to get a visa. I'm thinking of getting "Holiday Working Visa" how easy that to get I dont know.

Oh, so you *were* planning to work on a tourist entry. Sounds like the UK border agent did his/her job.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Well if you now intend to apply for a working visa you maybe intended to work before... all I can say is the immigration officer did his/her job...

Dont try and enter any country with intent to do other than your visa/agreement allows....

Kezzie

Oh, so you *were* planning to work on a tourist entry. Sounds like the UK border agent did his/her job.

Truthfully, I wasnt going there to seek any work. But since they have made a claim and I feel like I have no option than just get the working visa to be able to visit. I travel most times, I even have project in another country to go to in April or May, I have no intention to do any work in UK, I'm self employed. And by the way, I do have company I'm providing a service in UK already, that I work for from U.S. So the whole thing about working there or not was just so funny to me. Even from U.S. I'm already working with UK establishment.

I was just going to be with family in UK and they wont take it for truth and I dont know what else they want me to tell them. I realise that the working holiday visa thing is just something you hold just in case later you plan to work.

Timeline

Truthfully, I wasnt going there to seek any work. But since they have made a claim and I feel like I have no option than just get the working visa to be able to visit. I travel most times, I even have project in another country to go to in April or May, I have no intention to do any work in UK, I'm self employed. And by the way, I do have company I'm providing a service in UK already, that I work for from U.S. So the whole thing about working there or not was just so funny to me. Even from U.S. I'm already working with UK establishment.

I was just going to be with family in UK and they wont take it for truth and I dont know what else they want me to tell them. I realise that the working holiday visa thing is just something you hold just in case later you plan to work.

Riiiight. You already have a customer there, so you weren't going to work.

I wonder if this is how yor interview at the POE went... the more that comes out, the worse it gets! :lol:

Sorry your plan didn't work out. It's not uncommon, and not grounds for any kind of suit. But "sue the bastards!" does confirm your US citizenship! :P

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

To be fair, you can go to the UK for business purposes without a visa, such as visiting clients, attending meetings, etc. Although it might not be a wise idea to do that with a resume.

Listen people, they found the resume when they start torturing my luggage. Its not like I went presenting them with resume. I mean my latest resume is even inside my laptop, I have never use resume in awhile. The one they found was inside my folder in my luggage. So resume could be incriminating? Any Immigration lawyer here??

I'm more than convince its because I carried an African last name. Even from my destination, the silly airline put mark on my ticket for a special search at the gate (They wrote big SSS with pen). I wonder what will happen if I have a Middle Eastern background? am I such of endangered specie now for being African American?

Gosh where is Jonny Corcoran in time like this?

I only mention it because I've heard of it being a problem. I've actually flown into the UK for a job interview, before I got my visa or citizenship, resume in hand. It's not illegal, but they can grill you if they want and deny you entry and I don't think you have recourse. I wouldn't deny you ran into problems because you are African - I hear about that sort of thing happening with artists and musicians with valid visas who've been invited to festivals and what not.

90day.jpg

Timeline

To be fair, you can go to the UK for business purposes without a visa, such as visiting clients, attending meetings, etc. Although it might not be a wise idea to do that with a resume.

Listen people, they found the resume when they start torturing my luggage. Its not like I went presenting them with resume. I mean my latest resume is even inside my laptop, I have never use resume in awhile. The one they found was inside my folder in my luggage. So resume could be incriminating? Any Immigration lawyer here??

I'm more than convince its because I carried an African last name. Even from my destination, the silly airline put mark on my ticket for a special search at the gate (They wrote big SSS with pen). I wonder what will happen if I have a Middle Eastern background? am I such of endangered specie now for being African American?

Gosh where is Jonny Corcoran in time like this?

Jayzueus, just let it go. Did you now that people get bounced from entering the US for the very same thing? White, European people even.

Go google it; you will find plenty of stories.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Jayzueus, just let it go. Did you now that people get bounced from entering the US for the very same thing? White, European people even.

Go google it; you will find plenty of stories.

Hmm, I guess the world is not what I perceived it to be. Meauxna, that your first word mean Jesus or what?

Edited by Batunde

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.