Minerva n Shadow

Is getting an Immigration Lawyer our best bet?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Cayman Islands
Timeline

Where do I even start. All of this makes my head spin.

Here are the basics:

I'm American. My boyfriend is British. For almost 2 years we lived in Grand Cayman together. I have recently returned to "set up shop" here in NY. I am hoping that once I begin working and settle in, and we save at least $5,000 dollars that we will apply for the fiancee visa. K-1?

Lee is from the UK, and has been in Cayman for 15 years. He was previously married but his divorce went through over a year ago and we have the documentation.

How many of you went through a lawyer? I feel like it may be our best bet because I just don't want to get denied. I couldn't handle it. Being apart is hard enough!

Thanks for reading and letting me be a spaz. Never in my life did I think I'd be in this situation! Any advice and help is appreciated.

heart.gif Minerva

heart.gif Minerva and Shadow heart.gif

Met in 2009 on Xbox live on Halo

Met in person September 2011

I Moved to Grand Cayman in November 2011

Loved our lives in Cayman together

I returned to the US in June 2013 to settle

The fun continues...

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

you can do it yourself if you don't have any immigration issues,down load the 1-129f form and the instructions. look at some examples of the forms save your self some money you don't need a lawyer,if you need help just post here some one will help you good luck.

I went through a lawyer for the initial filing and all I got was a big bill and an RFE, which meant it wasn't filed right initially. Visa Journey has a wealth of information on how to file on your own. Read the guides, do some research on the site if you have questions (you'll most definitely find the answer), and do it yourself. You'll save a boatload of money.

Edited by Cori and Rob
October 2007- Became friends gaming onlineJanuary 16, 2009- Met in person in UKDecember 25, 2011- Ten visits later, engaged!February 24, 2012- I-129F SentFebruary 29, 2012- NOA 1 ReceivedJuly 13, 2012- RFE email sad.pngJuly 20, 2012-RFE response mailed to CSCJuly 24, 2012-RFE response reviewJuly 26, 2012-NOA2!!!!July 30, 2012-NOA2 Hardcopy ReceivedAugust 3, 2012-NVC received case and forwarded to LondonAugust 6, 2012-Case received by LondonAugust 13, 2012-Packet 3 sent out by consulateAugust 15, 2012-Packet 3 receivedAugust 23, 2012-Mailed affidavit and original forms to Rob via express mailAugust 30, 2012-MedicalSeptember 3, 2012-Packet 3 sent to embassy with DS-2001September 4, 2012-Packet 3 and DS-2001 arrive in LondonSeptember 26, 2012-Packet 4 receivedOctober 11, 2012- lnterview- Result: APPROVEDOctober 18, 2012-Visa in handNovember 15, 2012- POE-ORDNovember 21, 2012- Legal wedding!!November 30, 2012- Applied for SSNDecember 7, 2012- SSN card came in mailDecember 20, 2012- AOS/EAD/AP sent outDecember 27, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP Text/email confirmationDecember 31, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 received in mailJanuary 22, 2013-Biometrics appointmentFebruary 15, 2013- EAD/AP approvedFebruary 27, 2013- EAD/AP card arrived in mailApril 6, 2013- Big family wedding!!August 12, 2013-AOS text/email- APPROVED!! <p>May 16, 2015- ROC package sent to CSC August 15, 2015- ROC Approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

this is a do it yourself site, most members here have done the entire process from start to finish on their own. Unless you have a complicated case there is no reason to hire a lawyer, Lawyers only submit what you would submit by yourself. If you follow the guides at the top of the page you should do fine. Any questions you may have you can ask from the members at any time. Good luck.

One thing to add, the wait for both the K-1 and spousal visas are long (anywhere from 7-10 months). Your fiance can visit you while you wait for your approval and vice versa, but be prepared to spend some time apart while you wait.

October 2007- Became friends gaming onlineJanuary 16, 2009- Met in person in UKDecember 25, 2011- Ten visits later, engaged!February 24, 2012- I-129F SentFebruary 29, 2012- NOA 1 ReceivedJuly 13, 2012- RFE email sad.pngJuly 20, 2012-RFE response mailed to CSCJuly 24, 2012-RFE response reviewJuly 26, 2012-NOA2!!!!July 30, 2012-NOA2 Hardcopy ReceivedAugust 3, 2012-NVC received case and forwarded to LondonAugust 6, 2012-Case received by LondonAugust 13, 2012-Packet 3 sent out by consulateAugust 15, 2012-Packet 3 receivedAugust 23, 2012-Mailed affidavit and original forms to Rob via express mailAugust 30, 2012-MedicalSeptember 3, 2012-Packet 3 sent to embassy with DS-2001September 4, 2012-Packet 3 and DS-2001 arrive in LondonSeptember 26, 2012-Packet 4 receivedOctober 11, 2012- lnterview- Result: APPROVEDOctober 18, 2012-Visa in handNovember 15, 2012- POE-ORDNovember 21, 2012- Legal wedding!!November 30, 2012- Applied for SSNDecember 7, 2012- SSN card came in mailDecember 20, 2012- AOS/EAD/AP sent outDecember 27, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP Text/email confirmationDecember 31, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 received in mailJanuary 22, 2013-Biometrics appointmentFebruary 15, 2013- EAD/AP approvedFebruary 27, 2013- EAD/AP card arrived in mailApril 6, 2013- Big family wedding!!August 12, 2013-AOS text/email- APPROVED!! <p>May 16, 2015- ROC package sent to CSC August 15, 2015- ROC Approved!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I think a lawyer isn't a warranty for an approval or a fast approval in fact, you might experience delays and RFE and denial even if you hire someone to file your petition for you and pay your bills for you.

I think unless your case is complicated and you have some red flags, you can stay away from lawyers. Also I've always thought that lawyers have so much in their hands than might do things slower than you would.

A lot of people go through this process with no professional help at all and they do it just fine but then again, you know your case better than anyone else and if you think there might be red flags, ask for help otherwise jump on board and welcome to this hell of a journey

Giovanna

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

The process for K-1 is quite straight-forward and if you followed the instructions provided by the USCIS, you'll be fine. You can also find a lot of resources here on this site and the experienced VJ members will be more than happy to provide you with any help that you need. Definitely no need to spend the few thousand dollars for an attorney.

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Look under header " example forms" and "Guides" there you will find a lot of info. You can do just as good of job yourself. But make sure you follow the check lists, etc. Everything has to be filled out correctly! When in dought, ask some one here. Post on a thead your question, you will probably get lots of answers.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Here are the basics:

I'm American. My boyfriend is British. For almost 2 years we lived in Grand Cayman together. I have recently returned to "set up shop" here in NY. I am hoping that once I begin working and settle in, and we save at least $5,000 dollars that we will apply for the fiancee visa. K-1?

Lee is from the UK, and has been in Cayman for 15 years. He was previously married but his divorce went through over a year ago and we have the documentation.

How many of you went through a lawyer? I feel like it may be our best bet because I just don't want to get denied. I couldn't handle it. Being apart is hard enough!

Thanks for reading and letting me be a spaz. Never in my life did I think I'd be in this situation! Any advice and help is appreciated.

heart.gif Minerva

Based on what you've told, I'd do it myself and save the money for your future life.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Wow, I cannot thank you all enough for posting on this. I already feel better. Lee is British, but hasn't been back to the UK in 15 years since he moved to Cayman and his PR in Cayman hasn't gone through yet. We are scared they will deny it and he will get shipped back to the UK during our application process. We are already sick and tired of immigration shenanigans...I think thats just why we are nervous. Cayman is really strict. However I feel better knowing I have support from everyone here.

Thank you again!

heart.gif Minerva

The fun continues...

Unless there is some issues, like previous arrests, deportation, a ban, a huge age difference, major cultural differences etc... You should be okay to do this on your own. There are red flags obviously but most people seem to be pretty good at doing this on their own. If you lack in time or have trouble understanding the forms, sometimes that means you need a visa service or lawyer to help you do this as well.

To be honest I'm not sure how everything works from the Cayman Islands as I haven't seen a bunch of people on here from there. Looking at your portal there has been 15 total, 9 of whom haven't been active since 2012 or earlier, so your baseline will be small. The UK crowd seems to grow by leaps and bounds every day though.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here are the basics:

heart.gif Minerva

Get it right... do it yourself, following the GUIDE here. Hiring an attorney, as you read from others, does not mean it will be completed correctly.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Unless there is some issues, like previous arrests, deportation, a ban, a huge age difference, major cultural differences etc... You should be okay to do this on your own. There are red flags obviously but most people seem to be pretty good at doing this on their own. If you lack in time or have trouble understanding the forms, sometimes that means you need a visa service or lawyer to help you do this as well.

To be honest I'm not sure how everything works from the Cayman Islands as I haven't seen a bunch of people on here from there. Looking at your portal there has been 15 total, 9 of whom haven't been active since 2012 or earlier, so your baseline will be small. The UK crowd seems to grow by leaps and bounds every day though.

Cayman Immigration is pretty tough. But he's British, was born in Wallsend-On-Tyne, and only has a British passport. He just hasn't been back to the UK since him and his parents moved to Cayman in 1998 when he was 14. I'm just not sure if when we apply how that will effect everything?

The fun continues...

He can to interview wherever he has legal permanent residency. If he doesn't have that in the Cayman Islands, he'll have to interview in London. Because he currently lives there, that would be where I would put his address atm, however, just be aware of that little tidbit. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

He can to interview wherever he has legal permanent residency. If he doesn't have that in the Cayman Islands, he'll have to interview in London. Because he currently lives there, that would be where I would put his address atm, however, just be aware of that little tidbit. smile.png

This is probably a stupid question, but do we have to interview together or do I have to do it in the US?

He still techincally has PR through his marriage but the divorce went through well over a year ago. The application thats in is an application for him to have PR on his own. We call it PR Limbo, and its hell. I'm just praying we haven't added an extra expense for him to go to London. 15 years away from the UK and I hardly think they'd consider him a permanent resident anymore right? Someone please tell me this gets easier!!!

The fun continues...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.