Lisa-O

K1 Visa - applying for Social Security Number

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I had filed for a K1 Visa, arrived in March, we're married (April), and embarking on the next step of adjusting my status. 6 weeks ago (9 May) I applied for a social security number, 4 weeks before my I-94 was due to expire. Anyway, I haven't received my ss card, so went to my local office today to be told my application hadn't gone through because they hadn't followed up on the paperwork and they can't put the paperwork through again as my I-94 has expired, and they said in not so many words that I shouldn't be here!! I am livid, they have asked me to apply for another I-94 online, but I'm worried that this will affect my adjustment of status, advanced parole, or work visa. Has this happened to anyone - and what did you do...freaking out a bit here, I want to make sure nothing goes wrong!!

Thanks, Lisa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband applied for his SSN on January 4 and he didn't receive his until February 20th. Someone had called and said he needed to go to the local office again for an interview for a SSN. But we didn't end up going because we were so busy with wedding stuff. Then it just arrived in the mail one day.

Good luck. I hope everything works out. You can be put on your spouses bank account without a SSN and you really don't NEED one until after AOS anyways for work and such.

Good luck though!

K-1 VISA ADVENTURE:
04-01-2012: Engaged in Detroit, Michigan at Comerica Park!
USCIS
05-02-2012: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
05-14-2012: Received Physical NOA1
08-09-2012: Received Physical NOA2
Montreal Embassy
08-21-2012: Package 3
09-06-2012: Package 4
11-12-2012: Medical in Toronto, Ontario (Approved-Went Well! Tip: Make sure you have ALL of your vaccinations up to date when you go to your medical exam! It CAN delay things.
11-19-2012: Interview in Montreal (APPROVED!!)
11-21-2012: Received Passport and Visa Package Back From Montreal (DHL/LOOMIS OPENED OUR SEALED ENVELOPE! SENT BACK TO MONTREAL ON 11-23-2012 TO BE RESEALED)
12-04-2012: Recevied resealed Visa package from Montreal
12-23-2012: POE: Port Huron, Michigan (Everything Went Great!)
02-16-2013: Wedding Date! We're MARRIED!

AOS

06-18-2013: Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

06-20-2013: USPS Estimating Package Should Arrive in Chicago

06-24-2013: Received NOA Text and Emails for All Applications

06-27-2013: Received Physical NOAs for AOS, EAD and AP

07-16-2013: Biometrics Appointment

07-29-2013: I-485 Ready for Interview to Be Scheduled!!! YAY!!!! (No EXTREMELY Long Wait!)

08-02-2013: Received Mail with Interview Date!

09-03-2013: Interview in Detroit, Michigan (APPROVED!)

09-04-2013: EAD/AP Approved! (Even though it no longer matters because GC was approved the day before)

09-09-2013: Green Card mailed out via USPS 2-Day Air

09-11-2013: Received 2 Year Conditional Green Card in the Mail

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Social Security Numbers forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

A K1 can't get an extension on the I-94, like many other visas can. That shows how much she knew about K1. At this point you have to wait for your EAD card which will show you have a year's presence allowed in the US. They need something in writing with a date. Your only thing has expired. That's why we try to encourage people to go to SSA very shortly after they arrive. Then you would have some time to follow up on their lack of following through.

Be warned, they still have to find your name and EAD status in the SAVE database, so wait about two weeks after you get it just to give USCIS time to get your status in the database.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hey guys,

I had filed for a K1 Visa, arrived in March, we're married (April), and embarking on the next step of adjusting my status. 6 weeks ago (9 May) I applied for a social security number, 4 weeks before my I-94 was due to expire. Anyway, I haven't received my ss card, so went to my local office today to be told my application hadn't gone through because they hadn't followed up on the paperwork and they can't put the paperwork through again as my I-94 has expired, and they said in not so many words that I shouldn't be here!! I am livid, they have asked me to apply for another I-94 online, but I'm worried that this will affect my adjustment of status, advanced parole, or work visa. Has this happened to anyone - and what did you do...freaking out a bit here, I want to make sure nothing goes wrong!!

Thanks, Lisa

Should have applied two to three weeks after your POE. Yes now that the I-94 has expired, you have to wait until you receive your GC. Then go apply for the SSN. Not having one has no affect on AOS.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

The cleric admitted this is their fault...I applied in plenty of time...granted it doesn't affect much, but I want to apply for my driving licence here, which states I need a SSN...it was the manner in which I was spoken to which has made me angry, he implied because the I-94 has expired I should be here, and also asked if I'd left the country at any time. Really unhappy with all of this, I can understand if I'd left this a few days beforehand, but they had a month and all my contact details, and didn't bother once!!! Thanks for the info, I didn't think I could apply for a new I-94, that's why I checked here!!

The cleric admitted this is their fault...I applied in plenty of time...granted it doesn't affect much, but I want to apply for my driving licence here, which states I need a SSN...it was the manner in which I was spoken to which has made me angry, he implied because the I-94 has expired I should be here, and also asked if I'd left the country at any time. Really unhappy with all of this, I can understand if I'd left this a few days beforehand, but they had a month and all my contact details, and didn't bother once!!! Thanks for the info, I didn't think I could apply for a new I-94, that's why I checked here!!

The cut-off date for a SSN is Day 76 in the country. So in fairness, they only had 2 weeks. It sounds like they were needing to do a manual verification which would have taken longer than the two week window you had. Still no excuse for the guy who clearly didn't know his job to treat you rudely.

You wouldn't be able to get a driver license anyway with an expiring I-94. But your EAD should be coming soon and will give you proof of at least a year in the US. Right now you are in that limbo part of a K1 where you are past your 90 day entry the I-94 allows, but have nothing new to show you have legal presence here until your EAD or greencard come.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

The cut-off date for a SSN is Day 76 in the country. So in fairness, they only had 2 weeks. It sounds like they were needing to do a manual verification which would have taken longer than the two week window you had. Still no excuse for the guy who clearly didn't know his job to treat you rudely.

You wouldn't be able to get a driver license anyway with an expiring I-94. But your EAD should be coming soon and will give you proof of at least a year in the US. Right now you are in that limbo part of a K1 where you are past your 90 day entry the I-94 allows, but have nothing new to show you have legal presence here until your EAD or greencard come.

Thanks Nich-Nick!

The cleric stated they needed a second verification which clears same day, someone didn't go into my file to check it off the list, it had all been approved but expired because they didn't check up on it...anyway it's done now. I'm going in to the SSO tomorrow to show them my receipts from homeland for AOS, AP and work permit and to speak to their manager, as it's a computer says no formality, (still don't think I'll get any joy)...other than that, looks like I'm waiting till I get EAD or GC in 5 weeks (ish)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey guys,

Thanks, Lisa

As others posted you can apply for another I-94, but that doesn't matter anyway. You do not need your SSN for anything at this time. Not having it makes no difference when applying for AOS, EAD/AP. Once you apply for AOS your EAD/AP will arrive within 4-8 weeks, you can then go back down to SSA and apply for your SSN if you so choose. Don't stress... its all good.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

As others posted you can NOT apply for another I-94, but that doesn't matter anyway. You do not need your SSN for anything at this time. Not having it makes no difference when applying for AOS, EAD/AP. Once you apply for AOS your EAD/AP will arrive within 4-8 weeks, you can then go back down to SSA and apply for your SSN if you so choose. Don't stress... its all good.

I see an OPPS in my previous post! Should read can NOT...

:)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Just to give everyone an up to date - so yesterday I went back to the social security office, presenting my receipts for adjustment of status,work permit and advance parole. The cleric took the A number and voila - just like that was told my social security number will be ready the next day...got a call this morning to collect the paper receipt - so I am currently with SSN. This means I can apply for my US driving license...just an FYI for anyone else in the same position :) Have a great weekend everyone!!!

• 1 year later...

Just to give everyone an up to date - so yesterday I went back to the social security office, presenting my receipts for adjustment of status,work permit and advance parole. The cleric took the A number and voila - just like that was told my social security number will be ready the next day...got a call this morning to collect the paper receipt - so I am currently with SSN. This means I can apply for my US driving license...just an FYI for anyone else in the same position :) Have a great weekend everyone!!!

I am in the same situation. Arrived here on May 10th, married on May 23rd, applied for social security number on June 13th, so I could get my driving licence. 2 weeks later they told me that it was being chased up. Today I rang and they tell me that in 2 weeks I will be out of status. I am SO angry!! Can't get my driving licence, so I am stuck at home day in day out. I said I want to make a formal complaint and they tell me they are sending my paperwork manually, as the computer wont take it...... Welcome to the USA, how not to make you feel very welcome.

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

I am in the same situation. Arrived here on May 10th, married on May 23rd, applied for social security number on June 13th, so I could get my driving licence. 2 weeks later they told me that it was being chased up. Today I rang and they tell me that in 2 weeks I will be out of status. I am SO angry!! Can't get my driving licence, so I am stuck at home day in day out. I said I want to make a formal complaint and they tell me they are sending my paperwork manually, as the computer wont take it...... Welcome to the USA, how not to make you feel very welcome.

Hey Shell20, sorry to hear you're having problems! My problem was completed in a local Social Security Office, do you think you could go to your local one and speak to someone face to face. My SSN was issued because it was an error on the clerics part, and really they should sort it out for you as you applied well in advance! If you have a driving license from 'home' you can apply for an 'international permit' and use your current driving license for up to a year...google it, as I'm not sure how you get them in the states. It is very frustrating, and yes, I felt as if I was being treated different...it's a struggle, but it definitely feels better once everything is in order! Hope it all works out, and check up on the international permit!

Take care :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

that's kinda cool they went on just receipts,

as the common knowledge bits are either:

1. EAD card in hand or

2. Green Card in hand.

Maybe they were being conciliatory about prior stuff, or maybe something changed with how SAVE authenticates your status.

If you apply in VISA name, there is no lag . If you applied in married name, it's a boon-doggle. Refer to my prior post here with the link, post #6.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.