Lisa-O

K1 Visa - applying for Social Security Number

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

My fiance applied today for a Social Number. It was a breeze. The only comment made was 'wow he just entered, so he might not be in the SAIL Database- therefore we might have to cancel and re-apply in 1.5 weeks time. As it turned out he was in the system so all was well.

Very quick process indeed. It was helped by us filing out the SS application beforehand and giving it unsigned to the agent.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance applied today for a Social Number. It was a breeze. The only comment made was 'wow he just entered, so he might not be in the SAIL Database- therefore we might have to cancel and re-apply in 1.5 weeks time. As it turned out he was in the system so all was well.

Very quick process indeed. It was helped by us filing out the SS application beforehand and giving it unsigned to the agent.

I am planning to apply for the SSN on the next day I arrive US, hope they wont have problem finding me in the system since it is electronic now.

Question on completing the form, on item number 5, it has "Legal Alien Allowed to Work" and "Legal Alien NOT allowed to work", i read some post here (forgot where) that we should check the box "Legal Alien Allowed to work", if we check "Legal Alien NOT allowed to work", it will confuse them and they might reject the application. Dont know if it's true, do you mind sharing which box did you check?

And did he go back the next day asking for the SSN?

thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.