Shelbee

Different co-sponsor from the K1 application.

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hello all!

My sister is contemplating on co-sponsoring our K1 visa and sign the I-134 affidavit of support but is not as willing to co-sponsor for the AOS I-864.

Would two different co-sponsors be accepted? She told me she read somewhere that if she signs the I-134 she is obligated to sign the I-864 as well when the time comes. Is this true?

I have an aunt and uncle who would hopefully be willing to sign the legally binding I-864 but my fiancé and I would prefer to sit down with them in person after we are married to ask this of them.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

She is not obligated to co sponsor your i864 if she agree to do it for your k1. In my case, my now father in law co sponsor my k1 visa, but when we applied for my AoS we decided to do it without co sponsorship cause my hubby was making enough money. I was approved without issues

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Hello all!

My sister is contemplating on co-sponsoring our K1 visa and sign the I-134 affidavit of support but is not as willing to co-sponsor for the AOS I-864.

Would two different co-sponsors be accepted? She told me she read somewhere that if she signs the I-134 she is obligated to sign the I-864 as well when the time comes. Is this true?

I have an aunt and uncle who would hopefully be willing to sign the legally binding I-864 but my fiancé and I would prefer to sit down with them in person after we are married to ask this of them.

You should direct this question to the regional forum, as some embassies require the I-864 from a co-sponsor on a K-1, and some don't allow co-sponsors at all for the K-1. If she's allowed to sign I-134 as a co-sponsor, there is no legal obligation to later sign the I-864. You're risking a lot by thinking you'll hopefully get someone to sign as co-sponsor later. Failure to adjust status has led to some serious problems for immigrants and their ability to stay legally or return to the USA at a later date. The clock starts ticking on an overstay the day the I-94 expires and the until you file for AOS. This overstay is forgiven is adjusting based on marriage, but what will you do if you can't file because of no co-sponsor? He won't be able to work or drive a car. If he's detained you'll be ordered to adjust status, and failure successfully do so means he's deportable.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

She is not obligated to co sponsor your i864 if she agree to do it for your k1. In my case, my now father in law co sponsor my k1 visa, but when we applied for my AoS we decided to do it without co sponsorship cause my hubby was making enough money. I was approved without issues

Thank you for the info!

You should direct this question to the regional forum, as some embassies require the I-864 from a co-sponsor on a K-1, and some don't allow co-sponsors at all for the K-1. If she's allowed to sign I-134 as a co-sponsor, there is no legal obligation to later sign the I-864. You're risking a lot by thinking you'll hopefully get someone to sign as co-sponsor later. Failure to adjust status has led to some serious problems for immigrants and their ability to stay legally or return to the USA at a later date. The clock starts ticking on an overstay the day the I-94 expires and the until you file for AOS. This overstay is forgiven is adjusting based on marriage, but what will you do if you can't file because of no co-sponsor? He won't be able to work or drive a car. If he's detained you'll be ordered to adjust status, and failure successfully do so means he's deportable.

I have received my NOA2 and have done my research. Denmark (at the Swedish embassy for all Nordic countries) allows a K-1 sponsor and requires the I-134 Affidavit of Support. And thank you for answering my question.

I am not concerned about finding a co-sponsor for the I-864 but thank you for your concern. My mother and step-father have expressed that they would be willing to complete the form (which I consider plan b) but I would like an even-more reliable co-sponsor (my aunt and uncle) with an even higher income just so we can rest assured.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello all!

They do not have to be the same. You can have one co-sponsor for the I-134 with the K-1 and then have a different joint sponsor for the I-864 with AOS. She is under no obligation to also sign an I-864 later and her I-134 is not even legally binding, so she really has nothing to worry over.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Do not have to be the same. Plenty of people have either dropped or switched co-sponsors. Not a big deal at all.

Timeline

They do not have to be the same. You can have one co-sponsor for the I-134 with the K-1 and then have a different joint sponsor for the I-864 with AOS. She is under no obligation to also sign an I-864 later and her I-134 is not even legally binding, so she really has nothing to worry over.

Do not have to be the same. Plenty of people have either dropped or switched co-sponsors. Not a big deal at all.

Thank you both so much! Really puts my mind at ease rolleyes.gif

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.