Nancy63

travel while awaiting visa

14 posts in this topic

Sure you can, just be prepared to show a lot of strong ties back in your home country.

Edited by fantonledzepp

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, but entrance and duration of stay is never a guarantee.

Does the beneficiary have a tourist visa or is from a VWP member country?

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Iceland
Timeline

Forums are not always the best places for answers. My wife is from Iceland, a VWP country, and we are awaiting the now, sequester based, long i130 process (they are REALLY backed up right now). I was told that if she entered the country they would put her back on the plane. No if's and's or but's about it. They can even suspend your petitions or visas for Visa Fraud. I have no clue where the other guys got their information but mine is directly from USCIS.

Forums are not always the best places for answers. My wife is from Iceland, a VWP country, and we are awaiting the now, sequester based, long i130 process (they are REALLY backed up right now). I was told that if she entered the country they would put her back on the plane. No if's and's or but's about it. They can even suspend your petitions or visas for Visa Fraud. I have no clue where the other guys got their information but mine is directly from USCIS.

You should read the 100s of posts from folks who do exactly what USCIS apparently told you you could not do. I myself have travelled to the USA during pending petitions on VWP.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Iceland
Timeline

You should read the 100s of posts from folks who do exactly what USCIS apparently told you you could not do. I myself have travelled to the USA during pending petitions on VWP.

Well then enlighten us on how you did it? Did you just lie when they asked at the TSA checkpoint if you had a petition being processed in your name? Did you have a return ticket?

Well then enlighten us on how you did it? Did you just lie when they asked at the TSA checkpoint if you had a petition being processed in your name? Did you have a return ticket?

lol. Nope, no lying involved. Had a return ticket, travelled VWP and said exactly who I was visiting. A petition pending is actually GOOD evidence that you're not intending to immigrate illegally. No further questions asked.

I believe you have either been misinformed by someone who didn't know what they were talking about, or the USCIS agent you spoke to failed to understand what you were asking and gave you the wrong information.

Have a read of this thread with people logging their experiences of visting with pending petitions: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

I travelled to see my husband 3 times. Each time I specifically said I was visiting my husband. I had proof of ties to Canada but was never asked to show them. Granted it is up to the individual CBP officer to let you through or not, but many many many people visit all the time.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I never rely on TSA for anything.

CBP? Sure. But TSA? F(Ck no.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-3 Process forum to General Immigration Discussion -- topic of travel applies to more than one visa type. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am inquiring about the same question - travel from Canada to USA to visit my husband.

USCIS advised me to call US Customs for a more accurate answer.

US Customs said:

- I can visit the USA for up to six months at a time, any time; however,

- Expect to be scrutinized more at border crossings, and

- Provide proof of permanent residency maintained in Canada, and

- Provide proof of employment (still ongoing in Canada)

Also, even though you are allowed under the above conditions, it is still up to the "whim" of the border guard/agent whether he/she allows you to enter the USA.

Edited by syvpeppy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I traveled to the US three times (once before my NOA1 and 2 times after) and on all occasions was asked and I told immigration officer the purpose was to visit my husband. One each occasion I made sure to have have proofs of returning home but was never asked for anything. I was however asked why i did not live with my husband, so i informed them that we were currently going through the petition process. No hassle!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Guess that depends on whether you are here awaiting forever for you AOS interview, can apply for an I-131 Travel Document for reentry into the US for only $445.00. Use your foreign passport for everything else. This will eventually be replaced by a green card, and a conditional one at that. Then you will find you will be travelling with that and that one year extension notice. And if your ten year card hasn't come in yet, with an I-551 stamp in your foreign passport.

If you are coming here, say on a B1/B2 visa, must show your return ticket and receive an I-94 that limits your stay here, if asked why are you coming, can say to see friends, relatives, or a tourist. If specifically asked if you are coming here to marry a US citizen, that is when if you are better answer, yes. You better be on the plane home before your I-94 expires, If you want to stay longer, can file an I-539, if you overstay your I-94, forget about ever coming here. This form is only $375.00, plus a couple bucks more from the airlines to change your return date. Being facitous on this statement.

Vast majority of illegals here are due to slightly overstayed visas, like 30 or more years on that. Since the feds aren't doing anything about this, states took over, like fining a company $17,000.00 in Wisconsin for hiring what they call a non-documented person. Up to the employer to figure that out. Unless if in Wisconsin, you are Land O' Lakes owning a huge bunch of corporate farms taken over from farmers that could no longer to pay their property taxes. That can have as many of three illegals, that is families to run these farms without getting into any trouble.

Makes you wonder who is running this country. No workers compensation, no health insurance, love a family with a bunch of kids, US citizens anyway to also work in these farms. If you get hurt, your fired.

I have traveled 5 times from the UK to the US (also a VWP country) - 3 times before we submitted our K1 petition and twice afterwards. I always answered the questions I was asked truthfully. I have always carried proof of my ties to the UK but have never been asked to sow it. All I have ever been asked to show is my return ticket.

There are 100s of people who have traveled to the US whilst going through their approval - many, many of them have got in with no or little problem. If you are denied entry, it will not affect your petition.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.