healthteacher

What is the fastest way for a foreign spouse to enter US?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm a little confused about the K3,129F,CR1 processes. What would be the fastest way to have my spouse enter The US? This is more important to us than having a green card in hand before entering. Is there any way to have our interview in the US? If not, can she enter on the VWP (she is from a VWP country) and then return to her home country if necessary for the interview? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Your previous posts said you married while on VWP and that your wife was currently in the US and you were filing AOS. Why are you asking this now?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

In my opinion, and from what i've been reading this last year, the K1 is the fastest option. I don't know much about the K3 and I believe that many choose the CR1 over it. As for the VWP, my understanding is that if your underlining goal is to get married that you could be facing some serious problems. You would have to prove in some way that wasn't the original intent of the visit, though i'm sure others will chime in and let you know. Now if you were to be married in her country and then she comes on the VWP that is a different subject, and would also put you in the CR1 filing and subject to the border control.

Best of luck. Also google things like "marriage visa waiver program" "k3 vs k1 vs cr1" and things like this and you'll get your answers. I even bet that the first first results will come from this website.

Interviews happen in the beneficiaries home country.

Edited by St&Sv

“Even the smallest act of caring for another person is like a drop of water -it will make ripples throughout the entire pond...”

― Jessy and Bryan Matteo

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Your previous posts said you married while on VWP and that your wife was currently in the US and you were filing AOS. Why are you asking this now?

Just noticed this myself too.

If what you said in your previous posts is correct, well you are already married then you won't fall into the K1 category. Also if she is already here, then that's a matter in itself.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

“Even the smallest act of caring for another person is like a drop of water -it will make ripples throughout the entire pond...”

― Jessy and Bryan Matteo

I'm a little confused about the K3,129F,CR1 processes. What would be the fastest way to have my spouse enter The US? This is more important to us than having a green card in hand before entering. Is there any way to have our interview in the US? If not, can she enter on the VWP (she is from a VWP country) and then return to her home country if necessary for the interview? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Your fiancee is allowed to come see you in the US on the VWP to marry you, and then she must return to the home country. Your wife may visit you in the US on the VWP, and then she must return to her own country. An overstay on the VWP can be held against you in forms processing and any other immigration matters, and could result in a temporary or permanent ban.

A VWP entry stamp is good for a maximum of 90 days unless the visitor is Canadian (different rules apply). Trying to make back-to-back VWP visits is likely to result in refusal at the border. The VWP cannot be used more than 180 days in a given year.

It is illegal to use the VWP to marry and stay in the US to adjust status. It is illegal to use the VWP to enter as a spouse and adjust status. If someone tells you they adjusted status on the VWP, they are probably not understanding the question, or they did something illegal at some point.

Edited by speedwell

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Your ONLY option now you are married and she is outside the US is to apply for the spouse visa - CR1.

She can visit using the VWP while the process takes place - as long as she didn't overstay on her last trip. Although bear in mind that she will not be guaranteed entry and may be required to show evidence that she intends to return to her home country at the end of the visit before being let in (letter from an employer etc)

She will only be allowed to stay up to 90 days per trip with the VWP.

It's going to take 6-12 months for the process to complete before she is able to emigrate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Since she already left the US for her home country, it's not a question of what's fastest but what's available - and your only option is the CR-1. There aren't a number of spouse visas you can choose from... only this one. The K3 would have been the quicker option a number of years ago, but it's now obsolete since it takes just as long as the CR-1 does, and usually gets closed once NVC or the embassy sees an approved I-130 on file.

Read up on the CR-1 process and start getting ready. It takes around 8 - 12 months to get through the whole process, so I would get started ASAP if I were you.

USC who lived in Manabí, Ecuador with hubby from 2009 - 2013. Hubby became a naturalized American citizen in August 2016. Currently living together in northern Virginia.

For full timeline, see "about me".

Latest Dates

N-400 Filing - 03/14/2016

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Interview Notice - 06/03/2016

Interview Date - 07/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

speedwell I am quite aware about the overstay thing, the 180 day thing, and not being able to adjust while in US. etc. That wasn't my question.

The question was now that my spouse is outside the US, what is the quickest way to proceed.

You didn't seem that aware when you posted your original question, healthteacher, and someone raised legitimate questions about the trustworthiness of your self-reporting. We are careful here.

As far as your spouse being outside the US now, the quickest way for your wife to get a permanent resident visa as a spouse is a CR-1/IR-1 filing (same forms, only the disposition is different based on how long you are married when your wife enters the US). If your wife qualifies for some other visa, such as work, talent, refugee, or clergy, she can apply for that visa instead.

If you are a resident of the same country as your wife, and it is a country that allows Direct Consular Filing, then you may find that process faster. I'll direct you to search the DCF part of this site for cogent answers.

Edited by speedwell

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Is an I-485 still required when going the CR-1 route? What are the other fees besides the I-130 fee?

Nope, no I-485. What you do is pay for the I-130 processing initially. Then once that's approved, you pay for the processing of the affidavit of support and the immigrant visa application itself. Then after a successful interview, you pay for the shipping of your passport back to you, and the new visa fee that everyone pays now. It's cheaper than the fiancee route because you don't have to deal with as many forms.

LATEST STEPS:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The fastest way for your spouse to enter the USA is gonna be the Visa Waiver Program. When she checks her ESTA this weekend, what's what, and what's up ?

Is an I-485 still required when going the CR-1 route? What are the other fees besides the I-130 fee?

I feel really bad for you - you should turn off the handphone, come back to VJ from a PC, study all the links folk have given you over the past 6 months. It's a long weekend, you have time.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The fastest way for your spouse to enter the USA is gonna be the Visa Waiver Program. When she checks her ESTA this weekend, what's what, and what's up ?

I feel really bad for you - you should turn off the handphone, come back to VJ from a PC, study all the links folk have given you over the past 6 months. It's a long weekend, you have time.

good.gifgood.gif

To immigrate? L1 transfer to the US by her employer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.