lee&jeniebee

Didn't work, won't return home..

93 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Look at my situation, I couldn't go to Iran as a single female and he couldn't get a visa here. I can't afford to take months off work and neither could he, so we met at his sister's in Sweden. Granted I didn't check the requirements for marriage there, but I bet it would have required more than one week to accomplish.

Filed: Timeline

I completely disagree with you. In fact you sound like a USCIS employee. Most of us (who don't work for the government) can not afford to spend months and months on vacations to the other side of the world each year. I am guessing a lot of people who take advantage of visa journey do so because they are cuting the cost of hiring a lawyer, they can be very expensive and you still have to do a lot of the work. Now if you happened to find your soulmate in Canada or Europe, fantastic, just bring them here on a tourist visa, they can hang out, get to know each other very well. If the love of your life is from a "Third World Country" not so fast! There is no hope of getting a tourist visa, student visa, work visa (unless they are from an elete class.) The alternative is getting to know each other via email, skype, phone calls, and as much time as you can in person. I guess you could string it out for 3 to 5 years but for most people, life is on hold when you are figuring all of this out. We could just come out and say: "unless you make 100k per year, you can't marry someone from a third world country, that would fix it. Of course then you would have people like me doing armed robberies and listing it on the afidavit of support as income! hahahaha Everyone (everyone I know) that used the K-1 visa was 100% sure they had found Mr./Mrs. Right, I was, so was my friend (although when my wife and I saw them fighting on skype before she arrived?) but love is blind and it takes time.

I will say I am VERY thankful we have the K-1 visa program, but like our entire immigration program it needs a lot of work! If you can't clearly see that, wow, I have some property out west I would like to sell you...

Absolutely in total agreement.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I did the K1, if I had know what a pain it was going to be VWP Express all the way.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

(1) Why did you and all your friends go searching online for women from 3rd world countries then? How can you say you found "your soulmate" when you only looked in one spot?

(2) My friend moved to Australia on a fiance visa and she got 6 months to marry. I think it has a lot of advantages, but also easier to abuse.

(1) Because USCIS/DOS doesn't say in their forms that they only accept adonis from Sweden or Italy.

(2) I'm glad to see a country with a sensible immigration policy. 90 days in plainly insane and leads to abuse of USC.

Timeline

How long does it take to organise a wedding?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You're missing the point and I think it's intentional.

So USC, dutifully single, wants to marry a Martian. It's his prerogative, he likes the Martian dialect and that it what will make him happy. The US constitution supports pursuit of happiness, yes?

Okay he goes online and meets a Martian female, also dutifully single. Said female can't get a visa to the US of course so Mr. USC goes to Mars and spends his 2 weeks allotted vacation there. He loves the country, people and culture and wants to stay longer but he also knows that he has to be able to demonstrate his ability to support the potential new American so back to work he comes.

At this point he has completely satisfied the requirement for the petition.

Petition get's approved, visa get's issued.

Then whamo, that nice cutsie, gentle Martian grew fangs and talons exactly 100 days after arriving in the US. Why? Who knows, maybe the weather is not like in Mars, maybe US has idiotic laws and rules like you just can't squat and push one out on the street, or just whiz on the side of the nearest structure you can find or maybe the whole idea of not being able to slip a 20 underneath your license as you hand it to a peace officer is ridiculous.

What I and some others are suggesting is that the said 90 days is too short and frankly not in the best interest of anyone in the process.

What if the Martian was given a 6 months visa, immediately upon the petition approval and then the Martian can come over on a vacation, imagine that. The Martian can take tiem to develop a relationship.

Yes we know K1 is not a get to know your Fiance better visa but what is wrong n creating as such? VWP have that opportunity.

PS" 1 year ago we didn't have a classification to acknowledge illegal aliens that were brought in at young ages. Guess what, we now do. These things can change.

Edited by Gowon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

But yet they have to pay for a one-way plane ticket to come on the K-1, and another $1000+ for AOS after the marriage. So the cost thing doesn't really make sense in my mind when the CR-1 is actually cheaper.

Now if there was no requirement to have met in person in the previous 2 years, then I can see the cost advantage of a K-1. If there was no K-1, a huge percentage of these VAWA cases would go away. Just seems like it's a big loophole for scammers to get to the U.S. since there really isn't a requirement to even know anything about the person that is coming to the U.S. Only requirement is meeting in person the last 2 years.

On the surface it looks like someone could get here pretty easily by meeting someone on the internet, meet them once, maybe twice. Come to the U.S. on a K-1 and then claim domestic violence after a month. It's pretty obvious the bar is set pretty low to allege abuse. Simply call the cops and say this guy beat me, get a restraining order, and voila! you can file a VAWA claim.

What judge in their right mind would deny a protective order? Could you see the headlines? "Judge Smith refused to grant a TRO, and now the girl is dead"

I have no skins in the game. Just reading this forum makes me wonder about the K-1 and if it should even exist.

The CR-1 is only slightly cheaper (a few hundred). In order for tony and I to do the CR-1 i would have been out $2K for the ticket which is MUCH more than the difference between K1 and CR-1.

The bar for VAWA isn't low, people just go out of their way to build the lies. You are right, the VAWA cases would go away but the scammers would increase in my opinion. It's much easier to pretend to like someone from afar, get the spousal visa and once they're here you're screwed because you're on the hook for the I-864, they have their GC. They can just leave you as soon as they land. For that reason I believe the K1 is superior because you need the USC to get AOS, unless you claim VAWA and people do get denied (read the VAWA thread if you like).

I seriously believe that if you're not together at ROC you need to leave. there should be no divorce waivers, no abuse waivers. If you came to the US for your spouse and you weren't with them, the reason for being here would be gone. i also don't believe VAWA should exist either. There's no need for it. If you're being abused, leave the US. The USC should have to help pay for your return to your country but you shouldn't be given a means to stay.. that just makes no sense to me.

Plenty of people have OP's overturned because they're obviously false. I know a few of these.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

True, but some people don't have the luxury of moving to their fiance/es country to see how they go together. Similarly some people have a ridiculously hard time trying to visitors visas and don't have the VWP. Some people have no other choice... it's wrong for sure, but that's one reason why K1's fail, they just don't have enough time living together, getting to know someone in EVERYDAY life. Everyday life is different to hours or the internet dictated by availability of both parties.

You are very right!

Timeline

Why did you and all your friends go searching online for women from 3rd world countries then? How can you say you found "your soulmate" when you only looked in one spot?

My friend moved to Australia on a fiance visa and she got 6 months to marry. I think it has a lot of advantages, but also easier to abuse.

Wait, who said I only looked in one spot? Most of my "looking" was in the US, then I started looking in Europe, then I took a global approach. Almost went to China...

Timeline

But yet they have to pay for a one-way plane ticket to come on the K-1, and another $1000+ for AOS after the marriage. So the cost thing doesn't really make sense in my mind when the CR-1 is actually cheaper.

Now if there was no requirement to have met in person in the previous 2 years, then I can see the cost advantage of a K-1. If there was no K-1, a huge percentage of these VAWA cases would go away. Just seems like it's a big loophole for scammers to get to the U.S. since there really isn't a requirement to even know anything about the person that is coming to the U.S. Only requirement is meeting in person the last 2 years.

On the surface it looks like someone could get here pretty easily by meeting someone on the internet, meet them once, maybe twice. Come to the U.S. on a K-1 and then claim domestic violence after a month. It's pretty obvious the bar is set pretty low to allege abuse. Simply call the cops and say this guy beat me, get a restraining order, and voila! you can file a VAWA claim.

What judge in their right mind would deny a protective order? Could you see the headlines? "Judge Smith refused to grant a TRO, and now the girl is dead"

I have no skins in the game. Just reading this forum makes me wonder about the K-1 and if it should even exist.

I agree that the IR-1/CR-1 is probably a better route, with the K-1 you have to start over after you are married and you have the "out of status" time before the green card is in hand. However, I think a USC should have the freedom to marry anyone they want, regaurdless of where they are from and the K-1 makes that more possible. It just needs to be tweeked.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I agree that the IR-1/CR-1 is probably a better route, with the K-1 you have to start over after you are married and you have the "out of status" time before the green card is in hand. However, I think a USC should have the freedom to marry anyone they want, regaurdless of where they are from and the K-1 makes that more possible. It just needs to be tweeked.

They do have the freedom to marry whomever they want... just not the RIGHT to help bring that person to the US without proper vetting.

Also, you're not out-of-status once the AOS has been filed. you're in a "period of authorised stay". But I know what you're trying to say. The limbo between work/travel permit, plus how the GC date dictates ROC date and N-400 isn't really fair. It should really be back-dated to date of filing AOS because we shouldn't be penalised for ridiculous waiting times.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I seriously believe that if you're not together at ROC you need to leave. there should be no divorce waivers, no abuse waivers. If you came to the US for your spouse and you weren't with them, the reason for being here would be gone. i also don't believe VAWA should exist either. There's no need for it. If you're being abused, leave the US. The USC should have to help pay for your return to your country but you shouldn't be given a means to stay.. that just makes no sense to me.

I hope I could share my wisdom on this.....Thanks everyone.idea9dv.gif

I agree partially on this Ms. Vanessa, but not everyone is ready to go back home for some valid reasons. We all have to remember that everyone has different situations in life. You maybe good to go back home, but not like others. That is why there is a VAWA law, shelter protection, and other government and non-government initiatives to cater to the rights of the innocent / abuse immigrants. The US government for sure has studied and reviewed so many cases already, that is why they came up with the interventions / laws, but of course we cannot say it is the perfect solution as in the implementation we could always see some loop holes which needs further review and improvements.

We have to admit that there are some abusive and insensitive USCs, thinking that they have spent money and did paper works, now they have the power to do whatever they want, and if they can't make the relationship work because of their characters and attitudes, they opted to abort the relationship, surrendering so quickly without examining themselves / faults, thus decided to withdraw their affidavits and other documents so that the immigrants will suffer and not have legal stay.....what a selfish act ? And there are those who would even think or claim that they get fraud or scammed ? Always remember in EVERY ACTION THERE IS ALWAYS AN OPPOSITE REACTION.

What about the heart / emotional investment of some truthful and faithful immigrants ? Money can just be replaced if you work hard, but what about the honor and dignity of some truthful immigrants ? In addition, the psychological effects like fears, depressions, negative judgment of some families and friends as we all know that not everybody has the same positive support getting from family and friends. I'm sure this is priceless......

So I really support for honest / real victim-immigrants who still want to fight for their rights and work out to have their legal stay in the US. In fact, I really admire their strength....not all will come out and fight for their rights. It's not easy to fight for your rights, especially when your heart is broken or self-esteem is very low. That is why there is Shelter for abuse people to help bring back their self worth. I pray that God will heal them quickly.

In my case, I came back home before my 90 days was up, I didn't marry in the US, though we had already our marriage license because of too many fears I developed during my stay from week 1 to the last. I cried most often. Despite of that I'm thankful that even then my Fiance finally agreed and accepted me to go home and bought my plane ticket. He is a nice guy, but just too much distractions. Maybe it was not meant to be or not the right time yet, God knows. I think 90 days is more than enough for me to make my final decision. Of course, before I came there my thoughts were really to get married as we have been talking for more than 3 years already. Glad that God has guided me in my decision.

I'm good because I had just temporarily left my very good and secured job so I have something to look back just in case. Again, not everybody has the opportunity to be back at work. Maybe if have lost my job, I might have no more choices left than to have my legal stay in the US. In addition, I had enough money, 18K US dollars, with me when I went to the states, so I never ended begging up......I enjoyed America a little....Ohhhh I don't want to elaborate anymore about my sad experience in the states since I have moved on already and been very thankful to God for bringing me home safely. Just sharing my thoughts......and hopefully petitioners and beneficiaries would be strong enough to work on your relationships when there is problem / trials. I too have learned my lessons well. Nobody is perfect....but at least try to acknowledge your faults and ask forgiveness when you can. Try to talk calmly and stay in love. Don't always look for mistakes and negative things in your partner, instead dwell on his / her positive side. We all deserve a happy ending. God bless to all.rose.gif

"Last night I looked up at the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you. I was doing great until I ran out of stars."-- by Kelsi

Timeline

Hence the confusion, posts like your suggest the primary motivation in such cases is to move to the US.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hence the confusion, posts like your suggest the primary motivation in such cases is to move to the US.

Not really, I'm just supporting those beneficiaries who have merits by being honest or not making up lies, to apply for abuse / Vawa to be able to have legal stay in the US. Just my thoughts....in fairness to innocent beneficiaries, thus the very reason why the law was enacted.

"Last night I looked up at the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you. I was doing great until I ran out of stars."-- by Kelsi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.