Meg and Danny

Do they google you?

100 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

they do ask trick questions at POE. I got asked those questions ALL the time. So be mindful of your answers at POE.

This is true. I entered the US after the wedding to visit my husband. We have not (even yet) submitted our application. The woman asked a lot of questions once she learned my husband was not only in the U.S., but was also American. I had to explain why we have not submitted our application, why I chose to do my master degree in my country, when we intend to apply, etc.

She buttoned it up with asking me nonchalantly, as if she could not remember "What was the name of that visa you will need?". Once I answered and could explain why I will be getting IR-1 and not CR-1, she let me in.

As for calling your fiancee "husband", we referred to each other as hubby and wifey well before getting engaged online a lot. We met playing a game and we married each other in that game (several times, with different characters and different servers). People on the game actually thought us to be married in real life, so I can see how that confusion could happen at the interview/POE. Be careful.

I doubt this will cause issues for us, as we are now actually really married and the Embassy can track my relationship with Aaron via my visa applications. My tourist visa was to visit my fiancee, the one before that said boyfriend, same person. However, this is should be something F-1 applicants should be careful with.

Edited for typos.

Edited by Ivy.

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Before me..... GOD!!!! you have issuess.... LMAO....

What does God have to do with this?

VJ members are merely trying to help you for future reference and this forum is for help. Regardless, you don't like what information you are given, you are welcome to disregard, but please do not tell our members they have "issues". Thanks.

P.S. A word of advice: Don't use acronyms such as "LOL" or "LMAO" on an immigration forum (perhaps you have not gotten rid of this habit because you're still growing up).

Edited by Mina90

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Panama
Timeline

I'm still growing up and I'm 19? LOL... LMAO... Hehas issues went he is questioning where i'm from or if I'm Spanish or Latina, thats.. My Problem.. and because someone open a profile before me that's not give them the right to talk to me like they feel... I NEVER!!!!!!! said that I call me Fiance my husband or that was ok to do it!!! you got that!!!!

Filed: Timeline

Really? So you can prove that you're not married? How? Explain to me how you can prove to the US government that at no point, in any country, you were married to your fiance?

If you're not married explain to me why you're calling your fiance, someone you are NOT married to, a term reserved for married people?

You (collectively) are being silly and risking your future together by calling each other a term that does NOT relate to you. You are drawing unneeded attention and red-flags into your relationship. Stop calling each other something you are not. It's like calling your best male friend your boyfriend. While the term COULD imply simply a boy that's a friend, that is not it's typical and known use so calling them that adds a dimension to the relationship that doesn't exist.

If you want to be together, stop doing stupid things that put it at risk, and stop doing things that add unnecessary stress to an already stressful and lengthy process.

Wow. How about freedom of speech. How about using your own language, your own slang? You guys are getting paranoid. That's not what America is about.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

ccyahaira,

I understand that having a language barrier can be extra frustrating, but you will not get far with immigration with that kind of attitude. People tried to help you and your are being quite rude to them. Please consider your choice of words, in any language. You get more bees with honey than with vinegar.

Liberty, I hate to say it, but freedom of speach really only applies to americans not those that are trying to become americans. Thats why everyone is so careful about the questions/answers at the interview and at the POE.

Edited by Meg and Danny

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Panama
Timeline

meg and Danny,

thank you for your advice... you are so sweet... and I like you honey hahaha... :) I really don't know how this subject became about me... went I didn't ask for help, I just said that was stupid that USCIS will look at your facebook for information. that's all....

Filed: Timeline

ccyahaira,

I understand that having a language barrier can be extra frustrating, but you will not get far with immigration with that kind of attitude. People tried to help you and your are being quite rude to them. Please consider your choice of words, in any language. You get more bees with honey than with vinegar.

Liberty, I hate to say it, but freedom of speach really only applies to americans not those that are trying to become americans. Thats why everyone is so careful about the questions/answers at the interview and at the POE.

Yes but even that has specific limitations.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Really? So you can prove that you're not married? How? Explain to me how you can prove to the US government that at no point, in any country, you were married to your fiance?

If you're not married explain to me why you're calling your fiance, someone you are NOT married to, a term reserved for married people?

You (collectively) are being silly and risking your future together by calling each other a term that does NOT relate to you. You are drawing unneeded attention and red-flags into your relationship. Stop calling each other something you are not. It's like calling your best male friend your boyfriend. While the term COULD imply simply a boy that's a friend, that is not it's typical and known use so calling them that adds a dimension to the relationship that doesn't exist.

If you want to be together, stop doing stupid things that put it at risk, and stop doing things that add unnecessary stress to an already stressful and lengthy process.

Altho i believe ur advice is accurate, as everyone has and is entitled to their own opinions,so yes, people (consulates) will judge u and ur situation based on info they find on the inet especially since this may b all they have to go by, however it could have been said a little more respectful.. And altho it may not be normal for you to call your fiance something he/she is NOT. Does not mean its not normal for others. The reality is, a vast majority of people engaged refer to their soon to b spouse as their husband/wife.. So its nice of people on here to warn others it may result in a denial so dont use those terms publically if u do not wish for the consulate to get the wrong picture. Thats great advice! Im happy i read that advice however telling people what to do as if your running things around here isnt necessary. All advice is of course wanted, direct demands and rude behavior is not appreciated and were all hurting n waiting on here for our loved ones, lets be supportive and more person centered not so goal oriented! :) God bless us all

Timeline

First Calm Down.... Vanessa&tony,

You dont know me i dont know you, we are just discussing a TOPIC and you' re just going at me. I DO have proof that I'm single...

In Spanish culture you dont call nobody "fiance" the said my husband or wife... Marry or Not. Thats culture.... you said that I'm "SILLY" like I said something about me calling my Fiance husband? , I said that was Stupid for the USCIS to go in base of that... so Calm Down.

Agreed!!!

I'm not having a go at you specifically (hence me writing "collectively") but I was responding to your post that you can "prove" you're single. You can't. The idea that you think you can prove to the US government that you weren't married in Australia for example, is ridiculous. Tell me how to go about proving that please? I'm Australian, there IS NO WAY to prove you weren't married in Australia. There is no way to prove it. We don't have a "proof of singleness" like some countries do. Other countries are the same, there's no way to prove it, they're relying on your word. If your "word" is to call your fiance husband, then you MAY (there's no guarantee) get denied and told to file a spousal visa instead because it's their belief you are married.

You're moving to America, the term husband and wife is for married people. I suggest you get used to "silly" rules because otherwise you're in for a very rude awakening!

Also a USC and people here DO refer to fiance's as husband/wife

Timeline

It's not natural, IMHO.

In our culture, Yoruba, Oko Afesono = Fiancee, Iyawo Afesono = Fiance, Iyawo, Wofe, Oko = Husband.

I also speak yoruba, oshe gan ore mi! However many, many yoruba people i know n love use these terms wen only engaged. Maybe personal preference i suppose.

I suggest that you rethink this process. It's not what we think that matters as much as what the ConOff thinks.

I agree!

while I can understand the temptation to start calling eachother husband and wife before you are actually IN the US on the visa, I don't understand why you would continue to argue and risk it when you are told it may put your application at risk. If this is something you really want/need, why would you take ANY risk of being turned away? it just doesn't make sense to me...there's No way I'd do anything to jeopardize my process no matter how stupid it seems to me.

Amen

Timeline

LOL calling your fiance/fiancee 'hubby/wifey' is fine. I call him like that on fb and you know what? I just got approved at the interview.

Congratulations!!!! However the advice is good to not call them husband/wife before marriage, even tho i find it rediculous to use against sumone, its true that it has been dun n visa's denied based on suspicion of marriage and unfortunatly, thats all they need is the suspicion. :( i dont wanna risk it. In my heart were married. We need the visa to do the legal aspect.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I agree!

Amen

I read your other thread so i know your MO so I'm sorry if I don't subscribe to your way of thinking of how to be nice. I'm here to help people get their visas successfully. Not sugar coat things while they make foolish decisions (and in some cases advise other people to do so). Instead we (I and the other veterans you insulted in your other thread) give the facts, usually bluntly because it takes too long to try and make sure you don't accidentally insult the many thousands of people that read these forums, and let you read it/take it how you like.

I don't give two hoots what you or anyone else calls someone. Doesn't affect my life in the slightest. It DOES affect other people when people post lies/misinformation about things, and post about "it being fine" when for some people it's anything but. These are people's LIVES we're talking about here. I'm not trying to be nice, I'm trying to make sure people successfully get their visas and live happily ever after.

Also, if two people living here together in the US do it, again not a big deal, aside from it destroying the meaning behind the words, it doesn't affect their lives like it does a potential immigrant and a USC.

So :topic: Yes. They do sometimes google, access your FB (sometimes asking while in interview), they've been known to refer to people by their VJ name, ask you to show your email etc. Sometimes if they REALLY don't believe you (like in a Stokes interview if you have one for AOS) they will ask your favourite sexual position, last time you had sex, what birth control you use, what colour the sheets are, tattoo location and design etc etc... this whole thing CAN, for some, become very uncomfortable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.