Tota

What do your husbands do for work when they arrive to USA?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with both of you here. I've know Norweigan's here that never got a degree in computer science and are programers here and have been programmers elsewhere. Hell I went to Scotland and house sat for people in computers that didn't have degrees in the industry and pretty much could go anywhere in the world and work in programming and were being recruited for jobs. I also know several east Indian's that work as software and website developers at Albertson's, Micron and HP that don't have a degree in computer science and were recruited to come work at these places. Some of them have since moved on into other parts of the country. My brother, my Uncle and several family friends are high up in their fields in the computer industry. My brother did get a degree in computer science and now works for the US government making six figures. My Uncle never did get his degree but he worked his way up and went to classes provided for by his employer. They've sent him all over the world for computers. My good friend started his own company without getting a computer degree and his company now makes $500,000 - $600,000 a year and staffs several employees that don't have computer degrees. Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg also dropped out of college and did not get computer degrees and look where they're at.

Tota's SO can most certainly come to the United States and work in the computer field if he does indeed have the computer knowledge they're looking for. Please don't tell somebody they can't do something just because you don't have knowledge of it happening or doubt their ability to do it. It has been done and can be done.

Edited by Dr. A ♥ O

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

Also my husband just brought up that at our Islamic Center we just had an Egyptian and his wife move across the country from New York. He transferred with his company Verizon Wireless and he only has a computer science degree from Egypt and was able to get into the computer industry here. Plus there are IT training, computer classes and certification courses here that some people opt to do as a pathway because it takes only a few months to complete and then they can apply for jobs. It depends on what skills companies are looking for in candidates like C++.

This is an example of the kind of places that provide this kind of training because of the amount of tech companies in the region looking for a specialized skill set. LINK and LINK and Microsoft I believe does online training, LINK. I just read about a 14 year old computer genius who is an Egyptian boy (link to article on him) that takes Microsoft classes in Cairo. Some by correspondence online and some at AUC. These may also be options Tota for your husband prior to arrival here if he wants to continue to work in computers or in cell phones

To get an idea of where your husband's skill set is and what he's eligible for look at some of the job descriptions for tech companies and IT jobs and ask him if he meets those requirements. You can see what he's eligible for and if he's lacking in some area he may be able to make it up by taking the course independently at one of these kinds of computer learning centers. That's what my Uncle said his company did for some of their employees who worked full-time so that they could take continued courses at available time and update their training.

Edited by Dr. A ♥ O

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

I agree in being realistic but I disagree entirely with the nay-saying that it's "pie in the sky dreaming" because it's utter nonsense to believe that foreign born computer science graduates are at a disadvantage because they come from a developing country. The guys from east India were recruited here and there are a lot of them in the US computer industry. They are from developing countries and described their process of getting here by studying from used books and material and practiced on old computers in the shanty towns they grew up in.

I've even posted the links and videos to this on VJ in years past. That material is still on here for all to search and see for themselves. For that matter just do a search on Google asking, "Do you need a computer science degree to work in the computer industry " and you'll discover that I know what I'm talking about.

Sure it's a plus to have a computer science degree which it sounds like Tota's husband does have even if he sells computers and cell phones. No matter the adverse situation computers are universal and it's a global market. As for experience anyone worth their salt in computers can spend their spare time writing software and in 6 months have enough personal experience to show for it and put that on their resume. They don't need to work for someone to gain experience when they can do it on their own.

It's clear to me that you guys don't know what you're talking about when it comes to this topic. Do you guys realize that Mark Zuckerburg and Bill Gates and a lot of big US computer people in silicon valley have formed a political platform just for immigration reform so they can get these foreign born computer science people here more easily? It's at FWD.us

Edited by Dr. A ♥ O

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

I grow tired of this back and forth but I will say this because it's clear there's a fundamental lack of understanding about people like Mark Zuckerberg:

The FWD.US platform is nothing but a very cynical, very transparent ploy for Silicon Valley ilk to pick and choose specific foreign applicants for specific purposes, bring them here on H1B visas, and pay them a lot less than they would have to pay their comparable American job applicants, and not offer them any benefits or job security. This is a cost saving measure at heart, and a very despicable one at that.

It's a bald faced LIE that there aren't enough Americans with IT skills to fill the job ranks. There are thousands of IT and Computer Engineering folks who have been unemployed in their field since the dot com bubble burst 13 years ago! They have kept up their skills with the times but still can't break back into the industry. Why? Their skills are expensive and they require adequate employment packages including insurance, retirement, etc. Silicon Valley is no different than any other corporate atmosphere in the United States. They want to skimp out on their duties to their employees like everyone else and get the best talent they can get for the lowest price.

Edited by Sarah and Adnan

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Also my husband just brought up that at our Islamic Center we just had an Egyptian and his wife move across the country from New York. He transferred with his company Verizon Wireless and he only has a computer science degree from Egypt and was able to get into the computer industry here. Plus there are IT training, computer classes and certification courses here that some people opt to do as a pathway because it takes only a few months to complete and then they can apply for jobs. It depends on what skills companies are looking for in candidates like C++.

This is an example of the kind of places that provide this kind of training because of the amount of tech companies in the region looking for a specialized skill set. LINK and LINK and Microsoft I believe does online training, LINK. I just read about a 14 year old computer genius who is an Egyptian boy (link to article on him) that takes Microsoft classes in Cairo. Some by correspondence online and some at AUC. These may also be options Tota for your husband prior to arrival here if he wants to continue to work in computers or in cell phones

To get an idea of where your husband's skill set is and what he's eligible for look at some of the job descriptions for tech companies and IT jobs and ask him if he meets those requirements. You can see what he's eligible for and if he's lacking in some area he may be able to make it up by taking the course independently at one of these kinds of computer learning centers. That's what my Uncle said his company did for some of their employees who worked full-time so that they could take continued courses at available time and update their training.

Thank you! :)

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Thank you! smile.png

My pleasure!

I saw this today and thought of you guys.

Georgia Tech is offering a $6,600 online masters in computer science

That's a super cheap master's degree from a good place and he can do it all online.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

we have the only dr martens store in the whole country, which renders any arguments about the awesomeness of portland null and void.

and, duh, sandinista! is a double album by the clash, that my husband bought me on vinyl for my birthday years ago.

the possession of a couple of x chromosomes doesn't delete the potential for misogyny either. but yeah for troll accusations from someone who dug up a months old comment to make a pms joke. good grief.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

multiple posts removed for personal attacks or for quoting those posts.
one member thread banned and additional admin action taken.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

A special offer to my MENA girls: if your husband (or you) is looking for a way to make money online, send me a private message. No application, no interview, and it's for company with instant name recognition. Even though it's independent contractor, it can still go on a resume. Walahee three times (and we all should know what that means) it's not a scam, crappy pyramid scheme, costs nothing ever, I have no affiliation with the company, other than I've been doing it myself, and it's certainly possible to network it into other employment opportunities.

ETA: Reading and writing Arabic is often a benefit.

<3

Edited by Ihavequestions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

My husband finally got his foot in the door working in IT. He took a 6 month contract(for very low pay) working at a multinational company, with it;s home base here were we live. When the contract is up there is a good chance they will hire him for a permanent position. In the mean time he will continue to work at his Walmart job because it pays well. I will say that in addition to my husband's degree, he obtained certification in CCNA, CCNP and CompTIA A+ before he arrived in the US, this helped him a lot. At the end of the contract, even if he isn't hired, at least he will have 6 months experience in the US, that is worth it's weight in gold.

Be patient, my husband has been here almost a year and applied to literally thousands of jobs before he was given this opportunity.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.