15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Long story short, have a friend who wants a divorice because her husband lies to her, he steals from her, he does nothing but put her down and make her feel bad and treats her like she is nothing. She is from china and is here on a cr-1 visa i guess. Well i work with her and we started to like one another but then she told me she all this stuff. She also told me lies at first because of her situation and she did not want me to like her and then she would have to leave. I dont think its fair to make her go back to china if her husband is treating her like she is nothing and then she meets a better man and falls in love. this man changed after being wit her only a month. Also her parents sent her money and they used it to live instead of him getting a job. So is there anyway for her to get divoriced and then be able to marry me with out going back home again. What steps should she take? I want her to stay and she is the one who is saying that its ok if she has to go home and come back, but i dont want her to leave now and I cant leave my job to go with her. so is there anything we can do. I mean this guy is a jerk and its people like him who ruin it for people who are good and in love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The general rule of life.

Someone who is unsure of their immigration status will tell you what you want to hear until they are sure of their immigration status.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

well say you want but like i said she is not thinking about getting amrried right away and neither am i, all i am asking is that is there a way for her to get divoriced from this man who is a jerk and not have to leave the country. she said she will leave the country adn If thats the way it has to be then so be it. I mean its not fair that she has to put up with theis man either.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from CR-1 processing to Effects of Major Changes ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

this is not my problem but i am a good person and she does not have any other friends here so I told her i would help her if i could to find out if she could get a divorice and not have to leave the country. She has a job here and she likes it here. Also we like one another but we are not sure if we want to get married or anything, i read my post and i ment to say was with out us having to get married. I mean she shouldnt have to suffer because her husband is a jerk. I mean its what friends do.. They try to find help, also her husband took away all her things like her cell phone and laptop so she cant use the internet to find help. Is ther a way for her to get a divorice from this guy and not have to leave the country? really thats all i am asking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

this is not my problem but i am a good person and she does not have any other friends here so I told her i would help her if i could to find out if she could get a divorice and not have to leave the country. She has a job here and she likes it here. Also we like one another but we are not sure if we want to get married or anything, i read my post and i ment to say was with out us having to get married. I mean she shouldnt have to suffer because her husband is a jerk. I mean its what friends do.. They try to find help, also her husband took away all her things like her cell phone and laptop so she cant use the internet to find help. Is ther a way for her to get a divorice from this guy and not have to leave the country? really thats all i am asking

If your friend already has her conditional green card she can divorce her husband and file for removal of conditions on her own using a waiver if that what she feels like she needs to do. She will have to prove that she entered the marriage in good faith and wasn't using the situation to come to the US and obtain a green card.

In other words, she doesn't "need" to get married to you or anyone else to stay here if that's what she wants....unless of course USCIS doesn't grant her removal of conditions on her own. If that's the case she will get denied. Either way, it will not look good in her favor if she divorces her present husband, then turns around and marries you or anyone else right after.

As others have said, and now that you asked, but there's really no need for you to get caught up in your friends problems. She should visit the USCIS website and do research on her own to determine what the proper course of action is for someone who finds them self in her situation.

Edited by Jamericanlove

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Your friend probably has a conditional green card. If so, she can get a divorce and file to remove conditions on her green card. She can remove conditions on her green card on her own.

When she files to remove conditions on her green card, she needs to prove that she entered the marriage in good faith. To do so, she will need to submit proof of a co-mingled life with her husband. She should start gathering those papers now, and keep them in a safe place.

If your friend already removed conditions on her green card and now has a ten-year green card, she simply needs to get a divorce.

Now that you've cleared that up we can start talking.

Your friend needs to take file for divorce and remove conditions then she can do whatever she wants.

I believe that it is illegal to stop someone from seeking help so perhaps it's time to get the local constabulary involved.

So she won't have to leave if she get's divorced and can prove to USCIS that she entered marriage in good faith.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Like others have said, your friend should sort out first with her marriage...immigration, divorce..... just one day at a time. If both of you are really meant for each other.... things will work out in God's time. Good luck...wish you the best.

"Last night I looked up at the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you. I was doing great until I ran out of stars."-- by Kelsi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Sounds or smells a little like fraud to me ....okay moderators I am trying to be really nice here take it easy on me, you do not want to hear my thoughts on this MESS but do you think it is possible she might be using you just like she did her first husband, and to the other members of VJ not being loyal to your spouse is becoming more and more common, the scary part of it is USCIS thinks that this is okay, spouse's everyday commit adultery and no one cares, so why should USCIS care, I mean it put these types of immigrant spouse on the VERY low end of the moral scale but hey just my thoughts. You have to remember the whole immigration system is broken from the top down

Tell your "friend" get the divorce let some dust settle and then try to move on not shack up with you and drag you into what could be a royal mess

Sounds or smells a little like fraud to me ....okay moderators I am trying to be really nice here take it easy on me, you do not want to hear my thoughts on this MESS but do you think it is possible she might be using you just like she did her first husband, and to the other members of VJ not being loyal to your spouse is becoming more and more common, the scary part of it is USCIS thinks that this is okay, spouse's everyday commit adultery and no one cares, so why should USCIS care, I mean it put these types of immigrant spouse on the VERY low end of the moral scale but hey just my thoughts. You have to remember the whole immigration system is broken from the top down

Tell your "friend" get the divorce let some dust settle and then try to move on not shack up with you and drag you into what could be a royal mess

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

mycloud81

I've nothing new to add, but I'll echo some key points:

1. she came in on a spousal visa, not a fiancee visa. She can simply divorce, if that is her wish, and file RoC - it doesn't need/require your involvement.

2. Be wary, she may be building 'a scenario' to you of her homelife, so that you have some empathy. I don't say that often, but is really strange that her husband took away her cell and laptop, knowing full well that this is how she communicates with her family back home. Family is hugely important to Chinese people, always, so to remove the main communications medium, well, that smells. If it's true, her husband is a total control freak. If it's false, well she's trying to engage you with some stuff.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.