Charles C

Proof of Legal Presence while Awaiting AOS

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

We are waiting for AOS, EAD, and AP. Biometrics are done and my wife (K-1) and step-daughters (K-2) are waiting to hear when we will have an interview. Everyone has an "A number" assigned to them at this point and my wife has a Social Security Number that was assigned based on her K-1 status. My main question centers around the girls and their K-2 status and the ability to provide proof of their legal status here in the US. They are now 18 and 16 years old. Soon we are moving to Michigan for a job relocation. We need to get State ID cards, driver's licenses and register for school... but what do we provide for proof of status?

As soon as I get their EAD and AP we will apply for SSN, but this takes more time. Some of the state and school forms ask for proof of residency status. We can provide their passports and VISAs as well as I-94s, but the dates on the I-94 are now "timed out" and some people have interpreted this to mean their status is illegal. Any suggestions on a simple, easy-to-show form to show that while we are waiting for AOS, they are here legally but in a waiting period?

I hope this makes sense but the 90-day time on the I-94 is certainly not long enough to get all the way through AOS! How do we demonstrate we are all legal and waiting!?

Charles

We are waiting for AOS, EAD, and AP. Biometrics are done and my wife (K-1) and step-daughters (K-2) are waiting to hear when we will have an interview. Everyone has an "A number" assigned to them at this point and my wife has a Social Security Number that was assigned based on her K-1 status. My main question centers around the girls and their K-2 status and the ability to provide proof of their legal status here in the US. They are now 18 and 16 years old. Soon we are moving to Michigan for a job relocation. We need to get State ID cards, driver's licenses and register for school... but what do we provide for proof of status?

As soon as I get their EAD and AP we will apply for SSN, but this takes more time. Some of the state and school forms ask for proof of residency status. We can provide their passports and VISAs as well as I-94s, but the dates on the I-94 are now "timed out" and some people have interpreted this to mean their status is illegal. Any suggestions on a simple, easy-to-show form to show that while we are waiting for AOS, they are here legally but in a waiting period?

I hope this makes sense but the 90-day time on the I-94 is certainly not long enough to get all the way through AOS! How do we demonstrate we are all legal and waiting!?

Charles

Do you think the school forms mean residency in the state and the school zone? I think they only want to be sure you have a residence in Michigan and the attendance zone for the particular school before they give you that free public education paid for by the state and school district. That is pretty common around my area. A water bill, Cable bill, lease, closing statement if buying a home...something of that nature.

As far as a document showing legal immigration presence for a K visa, I don't hink there is one between the I-94 and EAD or greencard. The receipt of pending adjustment of status has no extension of the I-94 wording with a date. We all know you are allowed to stay while AOS is pending, but finding that in writing ...well when we were in the same situation I found nothing a person not knowledgeable in immigration could look at and say "yes, I see you have current permission to be in the US". That's why you can't get a license during that time in most place.. You dont have dated documentation from USCIS.

But I think the schools are not asking about immigration status, but having a home in the school district. Even illegals attend school.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

• 6 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 4/14/2013 at 9:35 AM, Harpa Timsah said:

NOA1 from I-485.

What, exactly does a NOA1 say that would satisfy a street cop?  I'm sure that USCIS would confirm legal presence once identity is confirmed but how long would that take while the "suspect" is in custody?  This sounds like a situation where someone can go to jail for doing everything right.

1 hour ago, ram1009 said:

What, exactly does a NOA1 say that would satisfy a street cop?  I'm sure that USCIS would confirm legal presence once identity is confirmed but how long would that take while the "suspect" is in custody?  This sounds like a situation where someone can go to jail for doing everything right.

You have unearthed a 7 year old zombie thread.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Zombie thread locked to further replies.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.