aidan80

Discrimination Is Alive & Well..… Isn't It?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I applied for a job sometime ago, I applied online and got confirmation then by mail a number of days later, and I called the employer a number of times and got only a voice mail. The very same job that I’m more than qualified for and have years of experience in has been posted online again at the start of this week. :angry:

I started a new job on Monday at the very same place I was interviewed for an IT job a few weeks back and met one of the people that beat me to the job; the person was attempting to setup my workstation. Everyone in that office knew this guy (big office and company), like he’d been there for years and years. :huh:

This is a bit of a long drawn out rant…

He starts my workstation using a local account and discovers there’s a problem with the NIC, so it gets uninstalled, reinstalled.. restarted a few times then he replaces the entire NIC saying that the port is “fried”. I’m thinking, replace the stupid patch cable. I’m also thinking the NIC can’t be fried it’s protected at various points not only by UPS, Surge Suppressors not to mention the many capacitors inside the PSU.. lets not forget its part of an IC if it was fried it’d take out at least a few other items with it I’d imagine. Takes the guy an hour and 15 minutes to discover that he needs to replace the cable!

Aside from watching the “tech” make every mistake in the book right in front of me, I also get to listen to a co worker complain about the foreigners :lol: . What is she stupid or something, am I not right there? I talk to another co worker who tells me they’ve been looking for a job and has had responses to everything they applied for so far. I’ve been ignored for almost everything apart from this job… :(

It could be worse, least I have a job now even if it is entry level office work. :P I've something to move on from over here.. :unsure: I’m still very annoyed at being ignored time and time again for jobs I’m more than able to do.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

aidan80 I am with you.

I wonder why you didn't show the guy what he needs to do...

I can bet that if it was me I would show him what needs to be done and make a comment "I wonder why I was turned down for your position when I applied".

Someone might call it rude but I could not help myself.. :lol::lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm sorry to hear about people's rudeness towards you. Talking badly about foreigners in front of one can mean one of two things: either they don't consider you one or they are extremely rude!!! I guess it's hard to start working in a new country, and I'm sure you'll be able to find something much better very soon. Or even get promoted, showing them you are more capable then they could ever dream of!! Don't let them get to you and don't loose your confidence.

I know this is probably a bit out of context but once I was turned down from a job because my "Portuguese" wasn't native, which was a very stupid thing to say. She could have said that they were only looking for Portuguese speakers from Portugal, not Portuguese speakers from Brazil (like me!)!!! It is like saying that someone from Australia or Ireland doesn't speak English!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

N-400 (based on 3-year marriage rule)
06/05/2014 Application Sent
06/06/2014 Application Received in Phoenix

06/09/2014 Priority Date

06/11/2014 Notice Date

06/12//2014 Check Cashed
06/12/2014 Received email/text receipt confirmation from Phoenix Lockbox

06/17/2014 Biometrics Letter mailed
06/20/2014 Biometrics Letter Received

06/24/2014 Biometrics Walk-in

06/26/2014 In line for Interview

07/03/2014 Original Biometrics Appointment

07/29/2014 Yellow Letter Received

09/05/2014 Interview letter Received

10/07/2014 Interview

10/17/2014 Received email/text that oath has been scheduled

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I have actually overheard Americans at my job downing foreigners. Especially illegals...but hey, I understand that. Its really bad sometimes because Atlanta is a racial metropolis. I mean I can drive or walk miles and not see a Black American or White American. But personally, I could care less...people are people. I wish it didn't happen, but this world is not perfect. People get threatened by change and more competition, I guess. I don't know...I just know I am adding one more LEGAL foreigner to Atlanta in a few months. :D

I have actually overheard Americans at my job downing foreigners. Especially illegals...but hey, I understand that. Its really bad sometimes because Atlanta is a racial metropolis. I mean I can drive or walk miles and not see a Black American or White American. But personally, I could care less...people are people. I wish it didn't happen, but this world is not perfect. People get threatened by change and more competition, I guess. I don't know...I just know I am adding one more LEGAL foreigner to Atlanta in a few months. :D

I forgot to add that I am a black american woman, with red hair, who speaks spanish fluently, is engaged to an African and the mother of a 1/2 German daughter. (I was married to a German-American for 8 yrs).

La Verdadera y El Sincero - Siempre

2005 - 2006 Spent falling in love

22 May 2006 My journey to Nigeria

24 May 2006 David proposes to me

9 June 2006 Mailed I129F to TSC

30 June 2006 NOA-1

Case Transferred to CSC

27 July 2006 Touched

5 Sept 2006 Called USCIS for case / IMBRA status

14 Sept 2006 Touched

19 Sept 2006 Touched Again!

23 Sept 2006 Received IMBRA RFE by postal mail (postmarked 20 Sept 2006)

25 Sept 2006 Response to IMBRA RFE sent Priority Mail w/Delivery Confirmation

29 Sept 2006 Rec'd Email stating RFE received

1 Oct 2006 Touched - Same RFE rec'd message

17 Oct 2006 NOA-2 Rec'd via Email

23 Oct 2006 NOA-2 Rec'd via Postal Mail

9 Nov 2006 Email from NVC (response to my inquiry) w/NVC case# - file to Lagos 6 Nov

13 Nov 2006 Received NVC letter via Postal Mail

20 Nov 2006 Fiance went to Lagos Consulate- Interview Date Received

7 Feb 2007 Interview-VISA GRANTED!!! -

12 Feb 2007 Visa in Hand!!! ***Scheduled arrival 23 Feb 2007***

23 Feb 2007 Arrived JFK USA!!!

12 May 2007 Married

23 May 2007 Filed AOS

25 May 2007 Rec'd NOA1

Hi Aidan,

Isn't it just amazing how ignorant people can be?!?!?!?!? :angry: Im sorry you had to be subjected to that at your new job. Keep your chin up :thumbs: and show them how capable you are to be working there!

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Timeline
aidan80 I am with you.

I wonder why you didn't show the guy what he needs to do...

I can bet that if it was me I would show him what needs to be done and make a comment "I wonder why I was turned down for your position when I applied".

Someone might call it rude but I could not help myself.. :lol::lol:

That guy is getting close to if not more than $16.00 per hour; he’s making more than me. Although I’d love to have said what to do.. why should I? it isn’t my job. I just hate the idea that I interviewed for the post and possibly should have gotten it but didn’t due to favoritism or because someone thought.. ohh a foreigner they might “go home”.. without even knowing how hard it is just to get a green card to start with!

I'm sorry to hear about people's rudeness towards you. Talking badly about foreigners in front of one can mean one of two things: either they don't consider you one or they are extremely rude!!! I guess it's hard to start working in a new country, and I'm sure you'll be able to find something much better very soon. Or even get promoted, showing them you are more capable then they could ever dream of!! Don't let them get to you and don't loose your confidence.

I know this is probably a bit out of context but once I was turned down from a job because my "Portuguese" wasn't native, which was a very stupid thing to say. She could have said that they were only looking for Portuguese speakers from Portugal, not Portuguese speakers from Brazil (like me!)!!! It is like saying that someone from Australia or Ireland doesn't speak English!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Sad thing is.. I don’t think it was directly aimed at me... I think most people here seem to consider foreigners to be Mexicans. They don’t seem to associate me with these “foreigners” they speak of. Idiots all of them who even attempt to think like that. It’s almost impossible to fight the urge to say something.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Nepotism and discrimination are everywhere. I consider myself quite lucky in my job right now, but I've also seen incompetent people get hired for something that they know nothing about and they end up putting more burdens for the rest of the team. I've seen this happens here and back home.

I would not help the guy either if I were you, if they think he's capable to do his job, let him do it. Besides, he might take all the credits if you help him. And next time your co-workers comment about "foreigner", tell them that you are one and see what they say... LOL !

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !

Timeline
Nepotism and discrimination are everywhere. I consider myself quite lucky in my job right now, but I've also seen incompetent people get hired for something that they know nothing about and they end up putting more burdens for the rest of the team. I've seen this happens here and back home.

I would not help the guy either if I were you, if they think he's capable to do his job, let him do it. Besides, he might take all the credits if you help him. And next time your co-workers comment about "foreigner", tell them that you are one and see what they say... LOL !

I’m sure if I had helped he’d been outta there in 10 minutes and remembering exactly what I had learnt though day to day experience over the past 5+ years on the job.

Aidan, I've been looking for a better job since February.

Somebody pointed out to me a couple of weeks ago that one reason I keep getting passed over ..... my AGE (49).

It's everywhere......

Don’t get me wrong the job itself isn’t bad at all. It’s latterly 2 minutes away, decent enough pay and they aren’t exactly slave drivers. Just I’m not too fond of some of the people..

I could well believe it; I’m beyond fed up with how much I’ve been ignored for jobs. I’m really lucky that I got this one at least it’s a start! :D

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I just think that sometimes when people make those kind of comments about foreigners is because they are ignorant or might fear competition because some of us speak more languages than they do. It's really sad but I have been in situations on where people make fun of my "funky" accent. :blink:

Another thing I have experienced is when I speak on my native language with a co worker they get itchy and say "Are you talking about me?? :lol:

Our AOS Journey

July 18, 07: AOS/EAD sent to Chicago

Aug 03, 07: Received Biometrics appt. letter

Aug 23, 07: Biometrics

Aug 30, 07: Transfer to CSC letter dated 8/27

Sept 19, 07: EAD Approval email

Sept 29, 07: EAD card Received

Oct 09, 07: AOS Approved

Oct 13, 07: Green Card in hand

In an American context, foreigner is often conflated with Mexican. Of course, that is dumb.

My husband has had a relatively positive transition. He's a software developer. He posted his resume on dice.com and got lots of offers. (I'm mentioning that in case you didn't know about that website for people in the IT industry.) He went on his first interview and actually got that job. It pays really well. One of his co-workers is from Denmark, but for the most part, it's an small American business.

My point is... Perhaps it's your area, too. We don't live in a big city, but we live in a rather liberal area in Massachusetts. People actually appreciate diversity here. But a few times you'll run into people who like to express their idiotic thoughts. Either way, they are usually shushed up.

Good luck!

(P.S. This "foreigner problem" is rampant in Britain and Germany, to name a few places that I've been to. It's not an American problem. It affects other nations as well. Those citizens don't want to see their country "change" culturally, racially, or ethnically.)

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

April 15, 2006 - I-130 sent to Frankfurt Consulate

April 22, 2006 - I-130 returned to us (personal checks not acceptable)

April 24, 2006 - I-130 resubmitted with Credit Card Payment Form

June 14, 2006 - I-130 Approved

June 15, 2006 - Packet 3 Received

June 16, 2006 - OF-169 & Passport (Biographical Page Only) faxed to the Consulate

June 17, 2006 - DS 230 Part 1 & OF-169 mailed to the Consulate

June 26, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

June 27, 2006 - Medical Examination in Berlin

July 21, 2006 - Interview at Frankfurt Consulate

July 21, 2006 - Visa Approved!

August 22, 2006 - America!

July 26, 2008 - I-751 sent to VSC

August 1, 2008 - Check cashed

August 1, 2008 - NOA-1 received

September 9, 2008 - Biometics Appointment

March 12, 2009 - Transfer from VSC to CSC?

March 16, 2009 - Approved (10-year green card should be mailed within 60 days)

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Also my very mad friends from other countries!!!!!!

America is famous for hiring the guy that is well liked not well versed or experienced

office politics suks!!

The secret to america is work for a company for a while then start your own!

Having crisscrossed the globe..It is my oppinion that the usa is the best place to make money

while every other country is the best place to have money and live.

Screw $16hr i guarantee you that the average hotdog vendor in NEwYork makes 10 to 15 times that in 1hr

Good luck and remember a 700 credit score can make you millions

don

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-10-16

I-129F RFE(s) : 2007-01-10

RFE Reply(s) : 2007--01-19

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-01-22

NVC Received :

NVC Left : 2007-02-05

Interview Date : 2007-04-05

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree that it seems to be certain areas.

My Brother in Law (a Canadian working on a NAFTA visa) actually gets a hard time - and not in jest - from his fellow idiotic co-workers as he is taking a job from an American. Never mind that there is TRULY a shortage in his profession where he lives (Nebraska) - in fact he is currently the only driller at that branch (because they have a hard time keeping people - surprise with attitudes like that) - he should have his EAD in about 2 months and then they won't have to worry about him working there anymore.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I have master's degree and tons of experience but I couldn't find a job even being a secretary when we lived back in Kansas City. It was so discouraging. I even applied to work as an ESL aide at school district (they pay nothing and the shortage is people is huge. I speak 3 foreign languages and taught college back home). I actually went there and applied in person, passed all their tests with stellar results and never heard back.

My husband got so angry that he called them and actually asked what was going on. You know, after his call I got interview next day and the job the same evening. They called me for an interview because my husband is an American and he vouched for me. They wouldn't call me otherwise and they were desperate for people.

I think this situation is true in smaller cities, when we moved to St. Louis I didn't have hard time finding a good job. St. Louis is bigger and more cosmopolitan so being a foreigner isn't a bad thing here.

I am sure people don't have much trouble finding jobs in DC or New-York.

Drew (St. Louis, MO) + Lyuba (Moscow, Russia)

December 1, 2003 - met and fell in love in Moscow, Russia

K-1

June 24, 2004 - NOA1

September 14, 2004 - NOA2

December 2, 2004 - Interview

December 24, 2004 - Arrival to the USA

January 14, 2005 - Wedding

AOS

January 25, 2005 - applied for AOS, EAD and AP in person

June 29, 2005 - AOS interview

August 8, 2005 - Green card arrived

Lifting of conditions

April 17, 2007 - NOA1 (extension letter)

April 2, 2008 - case transferred to CSC

May 8, 2008 - 10 year Green card arrived

Naturalization

July 24, 2008 - NOA1

November 19, 2008 - Interview

January 9, 2009 - Oath

January 17, 2009 - applied for US passport

January 26, 2009 - US passport arrived

DONE WITH IMMIGRATION

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.