victorioussect

Anyone had a home visit by Homeland security?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I need some insight, I received the letter saying I could reapply as my k1 visa was sent back and expired, still awaiting a resolution on that but last tues I received a visit from Homeland security anyone else??? he said he was there due to that k1 visa that makes no sense to me as I have not reapplied and I am planning to do a marriage God willing and go that route,I am concerned because the questions asked by the consulate at my fiance's interview seems she was concerned as to why and how I could be a muslimah, very concerning and then this visit seems he too was concerned about my faith of choice some background I became a muslim in 2007 and meet my Fiance in 2009 so my conversion has nothing to do with him I am really curious how many others have faced this type of an adversity?? private message me if it's more convenient

VeYjm6.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I am struck by your online name here, 'victorioussect'! Should anyone be concerned about your choice of a name? Does it imply anything that should concern homeland security? :unsure:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think it is a good thing. This means they are looking at your case. Maybe some resolution to your situation. I had homeland security come to my house on my I -130 .that is when case finally got moving at the USCIS level. inchallah he will be with you soon.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I need some insight, I received the letter saying I could reapply as my k1 visa was sent back and expired, still awaiting a resolution on that but last tues I received a visit from Homeland security anyone else??? he said he was there due to that k1 visa that makes no sense to me as I have not reapplied and I am planning to do a marriage God willing and go that route,I am concerned because the questions asked by the consulate at my fiance's interview seems she was concerned as to why and how I could be a muslimah, very concerning and then this visit seems he too was concerned about my faith of choice some background I became a muslim in 2007 and meet my Fiance in 2009 so my conversion has nothing to do with him I am really curious how many others have faced this type of an adversity?? private message me if it's more convenient

If your K-1 expired and you're not married, then technically, aren't you in the country illegally? This could result in a 3 year ban if you overstay less than a year.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

If your petition expired and this happened, I can't see it as a good sign. It has never happened to me so I can't really say, however I would gather as much proof and information you can about your relationship as well as maybe anything you may have showing Muslim activities - maybe pictures from the past few years of a group gathering/event with the local mosque you attend, etc.

That way when you re-apply you may be helping calm the issues they had this time around. I am sure your home visit will be noted in your file, so you will need to help clear up anything you can with the next petition.

Best of luck to you!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

Have you filed a Freedom of Information Act request for the consular officer's notes at your fiance's K-1 interview? That wouldn't likely trigger a DHS visit but it may help give you some more insight into why your case was denied, and therefore, how you should proceed. FOIA requests do take a while to process but the information you gather from it could be valuable for the future. Link to instructions is here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=5c9ab75d8e5e6310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=5c9ab75d8e5e6310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

To answer your question, it's not totally unheard of for Immigration agencies (USCIS, DOS, DHS) to want to interview petitioners if their significant others are from certain countries or backgrounds. Seems to happen to Yemen petitioners with some degree of frequency. If I were you I'd think about it as a good thing, that you are given the opportunity once again to state your case and to discuss how much your fiance means to you and your plans with him for the future.

Wishing you all the best on your next steps!

Edited by Sarah and Adnan

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

Timeline

I am struck by your online name here, 'victorioussect'! Should anyone be concerned about your choice of a name? Does it imply anything that should concern homeland security? :unsure:

there is no need for concern my fiances technology stores name is victorious sect :)

If your K-1 expired and you're not married, then technically, aren't you in the country illegally? This could result in a 3 year ban if you overstay less than a year.

k-1 visa application expired not the k1 and I am the citizen my fiance is in morocco :)

I think it is a good thing. This means they are looking at your case. Maybe some resolution to your situation. I had homeland security come to my house on my I -130 .that is when case finally got moving at the USCIS level. inchallah he will be with you soon.

Insha Allah Ameen thanks for the glimmer of light I needed that I also need the reality stuff too but light is always welcome :)

VeYjm6.png

Timeline

If your petition expired and this happened, I can't see it as a good sign. It has never happened to me so I can't really say, however I would gather as much proof and information you can about your relationship as well as maybe anything you may have showing Muslim activities - maybe pictures from the past few years of a group gathering/event with the local mosque you attend, etc.

That way when you re-apply you may be helping calm the issues they had this time around. I am sure your home visit will be noted in your file, so you will need to help clear up anything you can with the next petition.

Best of luck to you!!

Thank you this is great advice, and I would happily be able to offer these evidences we are insha Allah doing the marriage in Morocco in two weeks and have not given up and will be applying for the cr1 insha Allah.

VeYjm6.png

Timeline

Have you filed a Freedom of Information Act request for the consular officer's notes at your fiance's K-1 interview? That wouldn't likely trigger a DHS visit but it may help give you some more insight into why your case was denied, and therefore, how you should proceed. FOIA requests do take a while to process but the information you gather from it could be valuable for the future. Link to instructions is here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=5c9ab75d8e5e6310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=5c9ab75d8e5e6310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

To answer your question, it's not totally unheard of for Immigration agencies (USCIS, DOS, DHS) to want to interview petitioners if their significant others are from certain countries or backgrounds. Seems to happen to Yemen petitioners with some degree of frequency. If I were you I'd think about it as a good thing, that you are given the opportunity once again to state your case and to discuss how much your fiance means to you and your plans with him for the future.

Wishing you all the best on your next steps!

I have heard of this and have not done the paperwork thanks for the link as I am still awaiting the hard denial from them as they have informed me will come as of June 2013, I definitely had mixed emotions about it but I remained cool calm and collected and expressed me and my children's love and adoration for him we have a great case, as we have been together since 2009 and the consulate was also concerned we were not married already, was not rushing into anything as I have more than myself to think of in this union but Alhamdu Allah everything is beautiful and symbiotic between us, so khyar insha Allah we are in this to win it!

VeYjm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Thank you this is great advice, and I would happily be able to offer these evidences we are insha Allah doing the marriage in Morocco in two weeks and have not given up and will be applying for the cr1 insha Allah.

Sounds great!

Make sure to "offer" some of this up front when you file the petition. They don't always let you show it at the interview. It is nice to get it in their hands before then, especially in tough embassies :)

Timeline

Sounds great!

Make sure to "offer" some of this up front when you file the petition. They don't always let you show it at the interview. It is nice to get it in their hands before then, especially in tough embassies :)

Will do, congratulations on your approval and again thanks for taking the time to offer some helpful advice :D

VeYjm6.png

Timeline

there is no need for concern my fiances technology stores name is victorious sect :)

Maybe it is just me but I can see where DHS would find your fiance's choice of a name for his store quite a red flag! Who or what is meant by "victorious sect"? Which sect? Victory over who? :help:

Timeline

Maybe it is just me but I can see where DHS would find your fiance's choice of a name for his store quite a red flag! Who or what is meant by "victorious sect"? Which sect? Victory over who? :help:

why does it have to be personal? as it is not.

I hear your concern thanks for your response, He wants his family to be victorious! insha Allah Ameen for this :D

VeYjm6.png

Filed: Timeline

The only thing I can really say, is because of 9/11 Homeland Security has a LOT of leeway in their operations.

For whatever reason, you became someone they decided to look at. I personally wouldnt think too much of it. They can look all they want, youre not doing anything wrong, so dont let it effect you. Perhaps you can look at it like at least they had the courtesy to knock on your door and say, hey we looked at you, rather then just doing it behind your back? Either way I can understand it being offensive.

You have to understand when you invite the government into you life (by petitioning for an immigrant) Your marriage becomes their business, your personal life becomes their business, your finances become their business. This (the homeland security visit) is a consequence of that.

Again, youre not doing anything wrong, so dont let it effect you. Take comfort in the fact that Homeland Security is still very much 'on alert' and while theyre wrong in looking in your direction, at least theyre out looking.

Timeline

why does it have to be personal? as it is not.

I hear your concern thanks for your response, He wants his family to be victorious! insha Allah Ameen for this :D

And his family becoming victorious depends on him getting a USC to sponsor him on a K1 visa? :blink:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.