His karma

Leaving Your Children

89 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know there are other parents out there that are making this increadably difficult choice to leave at least one child with thier Ex partner/Husband. I thought it might be nice to have a place to discuss how you are coping with this decision and what you are doing to make the transition easier for yourself and your children.

Myself, I have three children, two of whom have chosen to stay with their father for various reasons. My youngest wants to come with me, but I am still waiting for my ex husband to sit down and discuss things with me. I know it won't be an easy discussion. It is also a decision that is the most difficult I have ever had to make. I have family members that think I am abandoning my children or chosing my happiness over theirs. This isn't the case at all, infact it is the opposite. I am giving my children the option and two would rather stay, continue in the schools they are in, with their friends, family and current activities rather than move to a whole new country with a completly different school system, none of the activities they participate in and having to make new friends.

I look forward to meeting others in the same situation.

Cheers

K1 - Complete
05/01/2011 - Met online
09/15/2011 - Met in person
11/12/2011 - Became engaged
07/09/2012 - Finally got to put His Ring on my finger
02/04/2013 - Mailed off my documents to my fiance
02/13/2013 - Fiance received my documents
03/30/2013 - I-129F sent
04/05/2013 - NOA 1
07/10/2013 - File Transferred to Texas
07/24/2013 - NOA 2
08/23/2013 - USCIS-NVC - Case number received
08/27/2013 - NVC-Consulate
09/03/2013 - Packet 3
09/04/2013 - Packet 4
09/10/2013 - Medical (Passed)
09/12/2013 - Interview (Approved)
09/17/2013 - Visa in hand
11/02/2013 - Border crossing at Sweetgrass completed
11/05/2013 - Arrived in San Antonio
11/16/2013 - Married in San Antonio

Adjustment of Status

04/25/2014 - AOS packaged mailed to Chicago Lock Box.

05/15/2014 - NoA1 received for Aos and EA. AP rejected.

06/16/2014 - Biometrics appointment

07/07/2014 - EA card now in production.

07/10/2014 - EA Card received. YAY JOB HUNTING

08/13/2014 - Letter received staging possible interview waiver and no action for antoher 6 months

03/03/2015 - Apparently we are still within normal processing times and need to wait 87 days

04/27/2015 - RFE - Renew medical, Send some other documents

05/04/2015 - Medical redone

05/07/2015 - RFE request sent back to USCIS

05/08/2015 - RFE request received at USCIS

05/11/2015 - Green card IN PRODUCTION!!!!

05/11/2015 - Welcome letter Mailed!

05/14/2015 - Welcome Letter Received

05/18/2015 - Green Card Received!! FINALLY!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I know there are other parents out there that are making this increadably difficult choice to leave at least one child with thier Ex partner/Husband. I thought it might be nice to have a place to discuss how you are coping with this decision and what you are doing to make the transition easier for yourself and your children.

Myself, I have three children, two of whom have chosen to stay with their father for various reasons. My youngest wants to come with me, but I am still waiting for my ex husband to sit down and discuss things with me. I know it won't be an easy discussion. It is also a decision that is the most difficult I have ever had to make. I have family members that think I am abandoning my children or chosing my happiness over theirs. This isn't the case at all, infact it is the opposite. I am giving my children the option and two would rather stay, continue in the schools they are in, with their friends, family and current activities rather than move to a whole new country with a completly different school system, none of the activities they participate in and having to make new friends.

I look forward to meeting others in the same situation.

Cheers

Thanks for posting this. My 2 girls are in their twenties but it is still a hard choice to leave the. Ido have hopes they may consider joining us later in the US as they both have visited and love it in Oregon. I am however leaving grandsons (4 & 8) that live real close. Some of my family ( not the girls) also struggle with my leaving" how can you?".... And yes there are days when I think that too.. Especially when I sit around the dinner table with them all watching their interacting, or special times.... Hard decisions indeed.

event.png

event.png

Nothing has a stronger influence psychologically on their environment and especially on their children than the unlived life of the parent. - Carl Jung

Thankyou for this really brave thread.

My 14 year old son wants to stay in the UK with his dad,after nearly 5 years of Trans-Atlantic flights and being separated from my husband most of the time I am finally moving over to the USA in about 4 weeks. My son has been very grown up about it and tells me he wants me to be happy, after seeing me so sad for such a long time. My parents are supportive too and will be bringing him over for visits. My husband knows that if I'm needed by my son I will need a flight home ASAP and hes very supportive of that. Its going to be the most difficult decision I have ever made,my son adores his father and has a great life in the UK I wouldn't dream of taking him away from all that just because society expects the children to always be with their mothers. In a few years my son will be starting to live his own life,hopefully as I'll be in the US I will be able to open doors for him and offer him more opportunities too :thumbs:

event.png"]My link[/url]

[/url]"]My link[/url]ur[l=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

[/url]

I had been a single parent for 14 years when I met my SO and thought about moving here. My son being 15 at the time was in two minds about coming to the US but decided to stay behind to finish school in the UK, rather than having to do 2 more years in school in the US system. Hard as it was, I think we both benefitted from that decision. He felt he had some in-put in the decision and I enjoyed time being a newly wed with my new husband. I let my son decide how much he wanted to speak by phone or Skype so as to minimise any feelings of sadness or loss or whatever a 15 year old might feel. He grew up a lot during this time and it was absolutely the best decision we made. Generally I have no regrets about it, although I did have to grow a very thick skin and learn not to care or be influenced by other people's feeligs about it. Unless they have walked in your shoes they are not qualified to comment on your decision.

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

My daughter has also decided to stay with her Dad in Canada. He's a very active father and I think in the past year he's had a lot of growing up to do. Suddenly he can't just be the "fun dad." She lives with him right now as well because we both felt it made the transition of me moving out easier for her (especially since I didn't have a place to move to right away.) She had her room, her stuff, etc... She stays overnight 3 nights a week. He works a very steady 9-5 job and I don't so it also makes sense for her to have a bed in both places. :) Thankfully we're on good speaking terms. He's agreed that if she wants to come live with me and her step-dad that it's okay. We both feel she'd need to spend at least a year wherever she chooses because it can take that long to fit into someplace new. There won't be any bouncing back and forth!

It's really hard and I find I don't have a lot of support sometimes. I do the best I can, and have tried to prepare her for the eventual move with lots of conversation, some counselling for her, and trying to put a positive spin on it. I remind her that we have skype and emails as well as messaging. :) I tell her that I always love her. Nothing will lessen the guilt or sometimes the fear I have, I just have to trust in my decision and try to make it work the very best I can. I think that's all any of us can do no matter what.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I am a single parent who has 50/50 custody of my son. My fiance does not have children, so they are the one moving to me. Under no circumstance would I leave my son for anyone until he is an adult capable of understanding the situation. In my case, my child's love trumps anything else under any circumstance. I am glad to have a finance who understands and agrees 100% that my child being able to develop with both parents in his life is the best situation for him and for us.

♥ Our K-1 Journey ♥
11/24/2012 - I-129F submitted via UPS (Vermont Service Center)
11/27/2012 - NOA1

06/05/2013- NOA2

06/10/2013-NVC received our case

06/14/2013-MTL case number assigned

06/17/2013-Case sent to Montreal

06/19/2013-Logged at Montreal

06/21/2013-Packet 3 sent out

06/27/2013- Packet 4 sent out

08/30/2013- Interview Montreal
09/09/2013-POE- Grand Portage, MN.

09/10/2013-at home in Kentucky

10/12/2013- we are MARRIED!

♥ Our AOS Journey ♥

11/21/2013 - submitted via USPS

11/27/2013-NOA1

12/23/2013-Biometrics appt. Louisville

01/24/2014-EAD/AP approved (65 days)

01/30/2014-EAD/AP mailed out, USPS 2 day tracking number assigned

02/01/2014-EAD/AP combo card arrived in the mail

03/04/2014- Used Advance Parole document to re-enter after a visit to Canada (without any issues)!

03/09/2014- checked USCIS website and saw update saying "Card/Document production" for I-485

03/13/2014-AOS approved. Received Welcome Letter (i-797)

03/17/2014-Green Card arrived in the mail

♥ Our ROC Journey ♥

12/17/2015-Mailed pkg. via USPS
12/22/2015 -NOA1

1/21/2016-Biometrics appt. Louisville

9/8/2016- INFOPass appt for I-551 stamp

3/3/2017-Filed online service request

3/3/2017- ROC approved. (Online status never changed)

3/9/2017- Rec'd approval letter in mail. 

3/21/2017- Text and emails stating card was mailed out

3/24/2017- Rec'd Greencard in the mail

The sun sets on this ocean, never once on my devotion - Eddie Vedder

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a single parent who has 50/50 custody of my son. My fiance does not have children, so they are the one moving to me. Under no circumstance would I leave my son for anyone until he is an adult capable of understanding the situation. In my case, my child's love trumps anything else under any circumstance. I am glad to have a finance who understands and agrees 100% that my child being able to develop with both parents in his life is the best situation for him and for us.

Your fiance doesn't have any children but if he had its either you or him that would have had to make the decision or you would have had to live apart.

In my case i have 2 kids. A son and a daughter. My daughter came to the states with me when i first moved in with my fiance. she stayed for summer vacation but went back to Canada to live with her father. She is coming back down this summer as well. we keep contact by phone and by web cam (with FB). We talk just about every day. As for my son he talks to me once in a while but i have to give him time to adjust. My family also told me i was an insensitive mother and i only thought about my self and didnt think about my children. In my situation I do talk with my Ex. but he is very manipulative towards the children so it was better for me to move further away. I sometimes feel like i abandonned them but then i talk with my daughter and she knows she can come and live with me but its her decision to stay in Canada. It is very hard and im glad to see that im not the only one that made that decision. Im very happy to have found this thread. If you have any ideas on things that could be done to make it easier please share them it would help. As for me i am now in Florida so one thing that my daughter and i do is plan where and what we're going to be doing this summer. it helps to bring a little laughter and it seems like we arent that far apart.

Edited by leenas

NOA1 FILED : SEPT. 12 2011

NOA1 : SEPT. 20 2011

NOA2 : JAN. 30 2012

PACKET 3 : MARCH 12 2012

PACKET 4 : APRIL 23 2012

INTERVIEW : MAI 23 2012

VISA RECEIVED : JUNE 06 2012

US ENTRY : JUNE 14 2012

MARRIED : AUGUST 09 2012

AOS : OCTOBER 18 2012

BIO : NOVEMBER 20 2012

I-129 APPROVED IN 132 DAYS

INTERVIEW TOOK 252 DAYS

VISA IN HAND AFTER 266 DAYS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~~~Thread Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life In America, from General Immigration-Related Discussion as this is not an Immigration question/discussion~~~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Ah thank you for putting it in the right spot. We weren't sure where it would fit. good.gif

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Your fiance doesn't have any children but if he had its either you or him that would have had to make the decision or you would have had to live apart.

In my case i have 2 kids. A son and a daughter. My daughter came to the states with me when i first moved in with my fiance. she stayed for summer vacation but went back to Canada to live with her father. She is coming back down this summer as well. we keep contact by phone and by web cam (with FB). We talk just about every day. As for my son he talks to me once in a while but i have to give him time to adjust. My family also told me i was an insensitive mother and i only thought about my self and didnt think about my children. In my situation I do talk with my Ex. but he is very manipulative towards the children so it was better for me to move further away. I sometimes feel like i abandonned them but then i talk with my daughter and she knows she can come and live with me but its her decision to stay in Canada. It is very hard and im glad to see that im not the only one that made that decision. Im very happy to have found this thread. If you have any ideas on things that could be done to make it easier please share them it would help. As for me i am now in Florida so one thing that my daughter and i do is plan where and what we're going to be doing this summer. it helps to bring a little laughter and it seems like we arent that far apart.

It sounds like you are doing the best you can. I think it's important to let children make some decision where they want to live. I know other people just go "they're children, decide for them" but how does that prepare them for life? It's not sunshine and butterflies. It's hard decisions that you have to make and stick to. I wasn't allowed to make this kind of decision as a child. My mom left when I was 18 months old. I lived with my dad only until I was 4. Then my step-mom moved in and she had 2 sons, one of which lived with his father because she sent him there. Eventually she figured out how get me kicked out and even though I didn't want to, I was forced to go live with my mom just before I turned 8. I ended up LOVING living with just my mom even though we went through some pretty rough times.

If my daughter was younger, there would probably be no choice. She would be with me. But at 10 years old, she can have some choice. Hopefully we can plan some fun stuff when she's here. I've tried to get her excited about camping, fishing, and all the cool new stuff we can do in Colorado together.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As I did not have children it was an obvious call. If both of you do, then it is certainly something you need to consider in deciding how far you wish to take the relationship, there is rarely a good solution.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance understands as well, but circumstances don't allow for him to move, and he has a daughter as well, so either we both wait for a minimum of 2 years, which I realize in the grand scheme of things isn't much, or one of us makes a sacrifice. I am not abandining my children and have talked extensively with them about it, and they do understand. It does make it easier when one party doesn't have kids, or things like pension, accessibility to future stability and such to worry about.

When we started out, my fiance only had holidays with his daughter, but that changed this christmas when his ex literally dumped his daughter with him, claiming she couldn't handle it any more and her daughter was no good. At least if my children choose to stay with their father, I know they are in a safe, loving environment and I can talk to them every day on skype, and visit them as often as I can afford to either fly there or fly them here.

Everyones situation is different and what is the right decision for one couple, may not be the same for another.

Thanks for moving the thread, I wasn't sure where to start it.

K1 - Complete
05/01/2011 - Met online
09/15/2011 - Met in person
11/12/2011 - Became engaged
07/09/2012 - Finally got to put His Ring on my finger
02/04/2013 - Mailed off my documents to my fiance
02/13/2013 - Fiance received my documents
03/30/2013 - I-129F sent
04/05/2013 - NOA 1
07/10/2013 - File Transferred to Texas
07/24/2013 - NOA 2
08/23/2013 - USCIS-NVC - Case number received
08/27/2013 - NVC-Consulate
09/03/2013 - Packet 3
09/04/2013 - Packet 4
09/10/2013 - Medical (Passed)
09/12/2013 - Interview (Approved)
09/17/2013 - Visa in hand
11/02/2013 - Border crossing at Sweetgrass completed
11/05/2013 - Arrived in San Antonio
11/16/2013 - Married in San Antonio

Adjustment of Status

04/25/2014 - AOS packaged mailed to Chicago Lock Box.

05/15/2014 - NoA1 received for Aos and EA. AP rejected.

06/16/2014 - Biometrics appointment

07/07/2014 - EA card now in production.

07/10/2014 - EA Card received. YAY JOB HUNTING

08/13/2014 - Letter received staging possible interview waiver and no action for antoher 6 months

03/03/2015 - Apparently we are still within normal processing times and need to wait 87 days

04/27/2015 - RFE - Renew medical, Send some other documents

05/04/2015 - Medical redone

05/07/2015 - RFE request sent back to USCIS

05/08/2015 - RFE request received at USCIS

05/11/2015 - Green card IN PRODUCTION!!!!

05/11/2015 - Welcome letter Mailed!

05/14/2015 - Welcome Letter Received

05/18/2015 - Green Card Received!! FINALLY!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a daughter in her twenties who I "left behind" and a son who stayed with me in the USA at 15. It is always complicated and only the parent making the decision and remarrying can truly understand just how much goes into that process and how much it still hurts to feel like you're leaving one child behind.

Caro

2010-07-07 visit to my 2nd home in Phoenix, US
2010-07-24 got married!
2010-09-17 filed AOS
2010-09-23 NOA
2010-10-19 BIO
2010-12-14 Interview Phoenix, AZ
2010-12-15 Approval notice received
2010-12-24 Green Cards received for me & son
2012-09-15 I-751 sent
2012-09-25 I-797, NOA received
2013-01-16 BIO

2013-06-13 Approval notice received

2013-06-27 10yr Green Cards received for me & son

2013-09-27 N-400 Naturalization application sent

2013-10-03 Priority Date

2013-10-07 N-400, NOA received

2013-10-11 I-797C, NOA received

2013-10-25 BIO (notice bio done last 10 months ago)

2013-11-14 In line

2013-12-13 online status changed to "Scheduled for Interview"

2013-12-18 letter for interview

2014-01-21 Interview date that I had to request change due to travel

2014-02-18 Interview in Phoenix

2014-02-22 Naturalization Oath Ceremony - I am officially a dual citizen Canadian/American

2015-11-04 N-400 Naturalization application sent for SON aged 20

2015-11-09 N-400, NOA rec'd for son

2015-11-20 I-797C, NOA rec'd for son

2015-12-02 BIO for son

2015-12-04 In line

2016-01-29 online status changed to "Scheduled for Interview" for son

2016-02-03 letter for interview for son

2016-03-07 Interview in Phoenix for son

2016-03-25 Naturalization Oath Ceremony for my son - he is officially a dual citizen Canadian/American

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.