farru83

Fiancee coming to USA in a month, got a quick question.

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

well is kind the same issue! must of the people who get married under the tourist visa...never get back home at least for while :bonk:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/130-adjustment-of-status-from-work-student-tourist-visas/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Perfect you can get married but my point is that you can't use an tourist visa to ilegal immigrate...you can come and get married and then go back to your homecountry and start a immigration process like the CR1. That's the LEGAL AND RIGHT way to do things

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline

http://immigration.about.com/od/greencards/a/TravlVisaMarrig.htm

I know there are so many people that adjust from tourist visa even when they have the whole intention to come to the States and stay, that's WAY wrong and it shouldn't be allow.

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

well is kind the same issue! must of the people who get married under the tourist visa...never get back home at least for while :bonk:

Some people do. They go to the US, get married, go back home and fill CR1. This is an option, that can be very good for several reasons: you make it official, the process are the same length currently, the green card is issued immediatly (no need for EAD and AP... financially some couples can't afford to have one of them not being able to work for several months...) And this is legal.

But yes, point taken, there are people who get married on a tourist visa, then adjust status when they should actually go back home. We don't really know how well it goes for those people though? I mean, some succeed but the risk is high, right?

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Pretty much all of the responses are accurate. My immigrant husband REFUSES to travel out of USA from the start of his provisional GC until he gets his permanent GC.

There are places you can go out of USA and that is Hawaii, Key West, and Alaska.

I wish you good luck and you don't wanna gamble with the re-entry issues.

E

Filed: Timeline

Some people do. They go to the US, get married, go back home and fill CR1. This is an option, that can be very good for several reasons: you make it official, the process are the same length currently, the green card is issued immediatly (no need for EAD and AP... financially some couples can't afford to have one of them not being able to work for several months...) And this is legal.

But yes, point taken, there are people who get married on a tourist visa, then adjust status when they should actually go back home. We don't really know how well it goes for those people though? I mean, some succeed but the risk is high, right?

VERY high risk.

If at any point you are suspected of fraud, you could be charged, be stripped of any visitation rights to that country and put on a ban from that country.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

You CAN go to Canada if you have your AP.

I will defer to Canadians who may know better but this if from the Canadian Visa website.

United States citizens and permanent residents: You do not need a visa to visit or transit in Canada if you are a United States citizen or a person lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who is in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence.

What your saying is that with AP and some other proof of residence you can safely travel to Canada?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I will defer to Canadians who may know better but this if from the Canadian Visa website.

United States citizens and permanent residents: You do not need a visa to visit or transit in Canada if you are a United States citizen or a person lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who is in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence.

What your saying is that with AP and some other proof of residence you can safely travel to Canada?

Yes you can go to Canada once you get your AP/EAD combo card (which is what USCIS is now issuing if you apply for EAD with your AOS app). I went the day after I received that card, which was fast. With AP card, I went back and forth about 5 times. When you go into Canada, make sure that you have the AP card as well as the passport. She will need to be paroled back in (fingerprints,picture and stamp in the passport with new I-94). It's funny, I always got a hassle when I was coming over to visit my fiancee with my Nexus card but once I received the AP card, those guys were as nice as pie. Go figure.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I feel like I'm missing something here. AP is for travelling outside of the states before you receive your green card. Why would Canada be any different than other countries? I assume the destination country is of no consequence.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Dude, just hold your urge to leave the U.S. for your honeymoon until after everything is straighten out. So many beautiful places to see here in the states! Just go somewhere around here, and later on do the Europe thing or whatever you have planned. My wife and I stayed in a nearby city after our wedding, and we are saving money towards a real honey moon once my paperwork goes through.

Met my wife: Spring 2010
Became Bf & Gf: July 16, 2010
Got engaged: July 16, 2011
Wedding: August 11, 2012
Sent AOS Docs: December 12, 2012
Rec'd Receipts: December 22, 2012
Rec'd Bio Appt: December 24, 2012 (1/7/12)
Biometrics Done: December 28, 2012 (went early because I wouldn't be able to go on the 7th)
Rec'd Req for Evidence: January 5, 2013 (initial request for my joint sponsor's proof of citizenship)
Sent Evidence Requested: January 10, 2013 (my join sponsor's certificate of naturalization)
Evidence Received: January 15, 2013 (status updated on USCIS website)
Testing and Interview: January 25, 2013 (status updated on USCIS website - now just waiting for the interview date)
Interview date set: January 30, 2013 (our interview was set for March 6th, 2013)
EAD Approved: February 12, 2013
EAD Card Production: February 15, 2013
EAD Card Mailed: February 19, 2013
EAD Card Rec'd: February 23, 2013
Applied for S.S.No.: February 25, 2013
Interview and Approval: March 6, 2013
Green Card Rec'd: March 14, 2013
Applied for new S.S. card: March 15, 2013
Rec'd S.S. card: March 22, 2013

Sent I-751: January 10, 2015

NOA1: January 15, 2015

Biometrics: February 20, 2015
Green Card Rec'd: June 8, 2015

Timeline

VERY high risk.

If at any point you are suspected of fraud, you could be charged, be stripped of any visitation rights to that country and put on a ban from that country.

But even then when is a high risk, I've read so many people who successfully obtain their green card (adjusting from tourist visa) that's its almost a joke. the other day I'd an argue with a vj member about that...he said that aos interviews from tourist visas are as quick and easy as AoS interviews from k1 visas. i was like really???? how can that be? k1 visa holder need to go through a lot of stuff and are you gonna tell that a person who came to "visit" got married and stay without paying fees or sending a single paper can have his/her interview easy as mine? For God sake! is the stupid thing ever.

If is ilegal to get married and stay with a tourist visa but either way, people stay and get their green cards, the USCIS should eliminate the k1, k2, cr1, ir1 and all the immigrants visa use for marriage purpose, and let us avoid all the freaking waiting, high fees and the interview....Just saying :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

There are places you can go out of USA and that is Hawaii, Key West, and Alaska.

:wow:

FILE FOR K-1 Adjustment of Status Removal of Conditions

January 31.2010 - Met Online April 10, 2014 - Mailed in I-485 + I-765 March 19, 2016 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

February 20, 2011 - Met in Person April 14, 2014 - Forms arrived at Chicago Lockbox March 23, 2016 - I-751 arrived at CSC

July 28, 2012 - Engaged April 17, 2014 - Acceptance email arrived stating case forwarded to NBC March 23, 2016 - NOA1 Date (received March 28)

February 5, 2013 - Mailed I-129F to Lewisville, TX April 27, 2014 - Received letter for Biometrics appointment April 20, 2016 - Biometrics scheduled (incomplete due to dry cracked skin)

February 6, 2013 - USPS Receipt/Delivered I-129F April 28, 2014 - Received Acceptance NOA1 hard copies for AOS and EAD May 13, 2016 - Walk in Biometrics Completed

February 8, 2013 - NOA1 Notice Date May 12, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment Done September 27, 2016 - ROC Approved (Checked status via website w/receipt #)

February 11, 2013 - Bank shows check cashed today May 15, 2014 - Interview Schedule Letter (received May 17, 2014) October 6, 2016 - Card Arrived

February 11, 2013 - E-Mail Notification of Case Acceptance and June 5, 2014 - Interview Scheduled at Local office 8:15 a.m.

Case Number (Routed to California Service Center) June 11, 2014 - USCIS Status updated to show Greencard in the mail

February 12, 2013 - E Mail Notification of Alien Registration Number Change w/USPS tracking showing it scheduled to arrive

February 15, 2013 - Hard Copy NOA1 received June 14, 2014

June 5, 2013 - Email notice of RFE June 13, 2014 - GreenCard arrived

June 6, 2013 - RFE postmarked

June 10, 2013 - RFE arrived in the mail

June 11, 2013 - RFE mailed back Express USPS

June 12, 2013 - RFE received @ CSC / USCIS website updated to reflect this

June 20, 2013 - I-129F Approved

June 24, 2013 - NOA2 Hard Copy Received

June 28, 2013 - NVC Assigned Case Number

July 2, 2013 - NVC shipped case to London

July 9, 2013 - London Received Case File

July 13, 2013 - Packet 3 Instructions Received

July 17, 2013 - Packet 3 Forms Mailed (Except DS-2001)

July 30, 2013 - DS-2001 sent (arrived July 31)

July 30, 2013 - Medical Scheduled (and completed w/no issues)

August 5th - Medical Results Logged in

August 8th - DS-2001 Logged in

August 20, 2013 - Interview Date Set

September 17, 2013 - Interview at 8:00 a.m. (APPROVED)

Waiting for VISA...

September 25, 2013 - Visa Delivered

October 8, 2013 - POE Las Vegas, NV

October 11, 2013 - Married

October 13th - HOME

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

:wow:

Wow as in what?

Ain't I that literal or concrete? rofl.gif

Seriously, these aforementioned places are a part of USA - the last I checked.

These are the only places my husband will go explore in the time being.

tongue.gif

E

Edited by USA-ALG

Wow as in what?

Ain't I that literal or concrete? rofl.gif

Seriously, these aforementioned places are a part of USA - the last I checked.

These are the only places my husband will go explore in the time being.

tongue.gif

E

I was just being a bit of a smart alecky with your phrasing. It's all good

FILE FOR K-1 Adjustment of Status Removal of Conditions

January 31.2010 - Met Online April 10, 2014 - Mailed in I-485 + I-765 March 19, 2016 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

February 20, 2011 - Met in Person April 14, 2014 - Forms arrived at Chicago Lockbox March 23, 2016 - I-751 arrived at CSC

July 28, 2012 - Engaged April 17, 2014 - Acceptance email arrived stating case forwarded to NBC March 23, 2016 - NOA1 Date (received March 28)

February 5, 2013 - Mailed I-129F to Lewisville, TX April 27, 2014 - Received letter for Biometrics appointment April 20, 2016 - Biometrics scheduled (incomplete due to dry cracked skin)

February 6, 2013 - USPS Receipt/Delivered I-129F April 28, 2014 - Received Acceptance NOA1 hard copies for AOS and EAD May 13, 2016 - Walk in Biometrics Completed

February 8, 2013 - NOA1 Notice Date May 12, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment Done September 27, 2016 - ROC Approved (Checked status via website w/receipt #)

February 11, 2013 - Bank shows check cashed today May 15, 2014 - Interview Schedule Letter (received May 17, 2014) October 6, 2016 - Card Arrived

February 11, 2013 - E-Mail Notification of Case Acceptance and June 5, 2014 - Interview Scheduled at Local office 8:15 a.m.

Case Number (Routed to California Service Center) June 11, 2014 - USCIS Status updated to show Greencard in the mail

February 12, 2013 - E Mail Notification of Alien Registration Number Change w/USPS tracking showing it scheduled to arrive

February 15, 2013 - Hard Copy NOA1 received June 14, 2014

June 5, 2013 - Email notice of RFE June 13, 2014 - GreenCard arrived

June 6, 2013 - RFE postmarked

June 10, 2013 - RFE arrived in the mail

June 11, 2013 - RFE mailed back Express USPS

June 12, 2013 - RFE received @ CSC / USCIS website updated to reflect this

June 20, 2013 - I-129F Approved

June 24, 2013 - NOA2 Hard Copy Received

June 28, 2013 - NVC Assigned Case Number

July 2, 2013 - NVC shipped case to London

July 9, 2013 - London Received Case File

July 13, 2013 - Packet 3 Instructions Received

July 17, 2013 - Packet 3 Forms Mailed (Except DS-2001)

July 30, 2013 - DS-2001 sent (arrived July 31)

July 30, 2013 - Medical Scheduled (and completed w/no issues)

August 5th - Medical Results Logged in

August 8th - DS-2001 Logged in

August 20, 2013 - Interview Date Set

September 17, 2013 - Interview at 8:00 a.m. (APPROVED)

Waiting for VISA...

September 25, 2013 - Visa Delivered

October 8, 2013 - POE Las Vegas, NV

October 11, 2013 - Married

October 13th - HOME

If you need a visa to get to Canada, then you cannot travel to Canada with just AP. People have been turned away because they require a visa until the point they get a GC.

If you are from a country that has visa-free travel to Canada, or if you have a Canadian visa, then you can travel to Canada on AP.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.