Ginet

Honestly, I think we are going to get denied

39 posts in this topic

I am petitioning my husband. He has had a little, well actually big, legal problem. He told me at first about it, but I didn't think much of it because he told me that he was found not guilty by a judge. The offense is hideous. It’s Drug Trafficking. I didn't think about it affecting our petition until i read the immigration law regarding "reason to believe" you’re a drug trafficker and the complete inadmissibility behind it. We sent in the official court transcript to NVC. I've read the court testimony. They found drugs (cocaine) at my husband's father's home suspected to be of a Colombian who was staying there. My husband's uncle who was there when the police raided his father's house told the authorities that my husband was also involved. So they sought out my husband. The judge declared that my husband didn't live there at the time since during the raid they didn’t find evidence that he lived there and that there was not sufficient evidence to charge him of the crime. So he was found not guilty. My worry is that the immigration officer may not see it as such. They only need mere suspicion and an arrest can do it. I know that my husband was not in any way involved in that. That is the only problem with the law he ever had. I will fight any way possible for him to live with me in the states but it does not look good for us. Do we need an attorney to go with us to the interview? Its next month..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am petitioning my husband. He has had a little, well actually big, legal problem. He told me at first about it, but I didn't think much of it because he told me that he was found not guilty by a judge. The offense is hideous. It’s Drug Trafficking. I didn't think about it affecting our petition until i read the immigration law regarding "reason to believe" you’re a drug trafficker and the complete inadmissibility behind it. We sent in the official court transcript to NVC. I've read the court testimony. They found drugs (cocaine) at my husband's father's home suspected to be of a Colombian who was staying there. My husband's uncle who was there when the police raided his father's house told the authorities that my husband was also involved. So they sought out my husband. The judge declared that my husband didn't live there at the time since during the raid they didn’t find evidence that he lived there and that there was not sufficient evidence to charge him of the crime. So he was found not guilty. My worry is that the immigration officer may not see it as such. They only need mere suspicion and an arrest can do it. I know that my husband was not in any way involved in that. That is the only problem with the law he ever had. I will fight any way possible for him to live with me in the states but it does not look good for us. Do we need an attorney to go with us to the interview? Its next month..

Well...I don't think they will go on mere suspicion. If your husband was found not guilty of all charges, then he should be fine. I really don't think this will prevent him from entering in the long run. It might warrant putting him in AP to do some more research, but I don't think they will deny him. Though it may not be a bad idea to have an attorney with you to make sure USCIS doesn't break any immigration or other laws and to make sure they are treating you fairly.

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Well...I don't think they will go on mere suspicion. If your husband was found not guilty of all charges, then he should be fine. I really don't think this will prevent him from entering in the long run. It might warrant putting him in AP to do some more research, but I don't think they will deny him. Though it may not be a bad idea to have an attorney with you to make sure USCIS isn't breaking any laws and is treating you fairly.

Thanks, I don't mind AP. But this is what im worried about

© CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE TRAFFICKERS- Any alien who the consular officer or the Attorney General knows or has reason to believe--

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

If you are sure that he was found NOT GUILTY then no problem

But if he had to perform any classes or pay a fine or was put on probation or deferred something he will have a problem.

Is his court problem in the usa? If so he needs to get the arrest expunged or hidden to get jobs in usa.

Immigration will always see every arrest and every result in the usa.

I do not know how it works in other countries

Edited by together4never13

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

But if he had to perform any classes or pay a fine or was put on probation or deferred something he will have a problem.

Is his court problem in the usa? If so he needs to get the arrest expunged or hidden to get jobs in usa.

Immigration will always see every arrest and every result in the usa.

I do not know how it works in other countries

It wasn't in the US. It was in his country, Dominican Republic. His police certificate is clear, he has nothing. He was completely proven not guilty. He has no criminal record, just this court record of the not guilty verdict.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It wasn't in the US. It was in his country, Dominican Republic. His police certificate is clear, he has nothing. He was completely proven not guilty. He has no criminal record, just this court record of the not guilty verdict.

Then you're fine. No worries regarding that.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Then there isn't a reason to believe that he was involved in drug trafficking. That's what a judge in his country ruled. He's no longer under any suspicion.

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Filed: Timeline

IMO- YES bring a lawyer to the interview if you think it will help. The CO in front of you is the person who is going to be deciding whether or not your husband is going to be admissible or not.

You need to do everything in your power to convince them that your husband is not guilty. (and your husbands uncle implemented him in this- #######? Do you have any idea why he would do such a thing? Is there any counter evidence you could bring to the interview to explain why his uncle would implement him in this? A statement from his uncle explaining himself? Taking back his accusation? Kind of like a yeah I told the cops that- it wasnt true- even if he doesnt go as far as to say why he did (saying why would be a +) but even with out the why would be a +)

You kind of have to look at it like this - he needs to prove his innocence all over again to the CO- it doesnt matter that the court found him innocent. The CO can view it as- he got off on a technicality and is still guilty.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Well...I don't think they will go on mere suspicion.

Incorrect. USCIS looks at it as the person MAY have committed the crime and that's why they were arrested, there was enough to arrest them. Being found not guilty only means that they didn't have enough evidence to convict. It's not fair, especially when you ARE wrongly accused, but that's how they work it. The OP's husband will most likely need to prove WHY he was found not-guilty. The Order should state why he was, but it only proves he didn't live there so they didn't have enough evidence, not that he wasn't involved.

Incorrect. See my response above and capri's quotes.

Then you're fine. No worries regarding that.

Please see capri's quote. It's not "no worries".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Incorrect. USCIS looks at it as the person MAY have committed the crime and that's why they were arrested, there was enough to arrest them. Being found not guilty only means that they didn't have enough evidence to convict. It's not fair, especially when you ARE wrongly accused, but that's how they work it. The OP's husband will most likely need to prove WHY he was found not-guilty. The Order should state why he was, but it only proves he didn't live there so they didn't have enough evidence, not that he wasn't involved.

Incorrect. See my response above and capri's quotes.

Please see capri's quote. It's not "no worries".

If he has a clear police certificate, how is this going to come up?

Disregard, I just saw that the court transcript was sent to NVC.

Edited by Karee

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

IMO- YES bring a lawyer to the interview if you think it will help. The CO in front of you is the person who is going to be deciding whether or not your husband is going to be admissible or not.

You need to do everything in your power to convince them that your husband is not guilty. (and your husbands uncle implemented him in this- #######? Do you have any idea why he would do such a thing? Is there any counter evidence you could bring to the interview to explain why his uncle would implement him in this? A statement from his uncle explaining himself? Taking back his accusation? Kind of like a yeah I told the cops that- it wasnt true- even if he doesnt go as far as to say why he did (saying why would be a +) but even with out the why would be a +)

You kind of have to look at it like this - he needs to prove his innocence all over again to the CO- it doesnt matter that the court found him innocent. The CO can view it as- he got off on a technicality and is still guilty.

He is going to contact a lawyer to assist him. He is going to get those statements after I advised him to after reading this. He will also see what his lawyer has to say after the lawyer reads the court documents. He told me that his uncle was 'scared'.

If he has a clear police certificate, how is this going to come up?

Disregard, I just saw that the court transcript was sent to NVC.

There's a question on the DS230 that asks if the beneficiary has ever been arrested for any crime.. The answer is yes. I sent the documents on the advise of an attorney.

I guess I will truly know the outcome at the interview. I will leave it in God's hands now. This has been too much stress for me. I'll do what best I can, hire a good lawyer etc. I know the odds may be against me. I can appeal a denial or move to DR or both so no worries. :blush:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.