sbm7

Travel oversea without US passport but US citizen cert

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am US citizen and Canadian citizen (originally). I was naturalized in May 2012 but I never apply for US passport. I am flying Thursday and I just remember I have no green card now. So, can I still fly in and out the country with my canadian passport and US citizen certificate? Or I really need a US passport.

You need a US passport.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Check this link, if you need a US passport in a hurry.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/hurry/hurry_831.html

Citizenship process

12/15/2012: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

12/26/2012: NOA received

01/14/2013: Biometrics Appointment

10/18/2013: Placed in line for the interview

02/16/2013: Yellow letter received

02/19/2013: Interview letter received

03/20/2013: Interview/test

03/20/2013: Passed!!!!!

03/25/2013: Placed in the oath scheduling que (time to wait for the oath ceremony date)

04/05/2013: Oath ceremony schedule and notice its on its way!!!!

04/10/2013: Received oath ceremony letter

04/24/2013: Oath ceremony at 7:00 am!!

06/27/2013: Got married

11/14/2013: AOS package sent

11/18/2013: Package received

11/20/2013: USCIS email notification

12/16/2013: Biometrics appointment

01/15/2014: Got appointment letter

02/18/2014: Passed the interview

02/18/2014: Case approved!!!

02/22/2014: Got welcome letter

02/24/2014: Green card was mailed (time to wait)

01/21/2016: Petition to remove conditions sent

02/04/2016: CR-89 received, fingerprint appointment scheduled

08/02/2016: Status updated: "New card is being produced"

08/04/2016: Status updated: "We mailed your new card"

08/08/2016: Received new card, yayyyyy!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Concur with Harpa. US law states a US citizen MUST enter and leave the US on their US passport. Even non-citizens with a possible claim need to have applied and been rejected technically.

You need to get one asap. Some offices offer same-day service. You'll have to pay more for it of course, or you postpone your trip.

Legally you are required to have a US passport to reenter the US. If you were to show up at the border seeking reentry without a US passport, they would have to let you in (a US citizen has a right to enter the US), but you could be fined for not having the proper document.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks guys. I am getting ready to wake up at 5am and get to NYC passport office to get same day service tomorrow for my trip thur morning.

Make sure you bring in your airline ticket, even a printed sheet of your itenary and receipt, they won't look at your smart phone. Check book, two passport photos, application, and your certificate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.