Danno

Do Atheists have an emptiness which needs filling?

207 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

"People believe what they want to believe and disregard the rest"

You just offered some folks something to cling to their concerning their misguided beliefs.

Meanwhile they look down on folks who doubt Global warming or whatever.

Some of you peeps crack me up you're so full of it.

A bit confused here. Is that directed to me? Because your statement in quotes that appears below my posting appears nowhere in my post. But the juxtaposition of the two make it appear as if that's the case.

If that is indeed for me, then I offered absolutely no such thing. The only thing I presented was the fallacy of mistaking correlation for causation, which is what is occurring in the article you've referenced.

That's the great thing about logic and critical thinking. It has no creed, no ideology. And people cling to beliefs (misguided or not) regardless of what you and I and anyone else thinks. That's been known for centuries. It is the hallmark of a belief

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

A bit confused here. Is that directed to me? Because your statement in quotes that appears below my posting appears nowhere in my post. But the juxtaposition of the two make it appear as if that's the case.

If that is indeed for me, then I offered absolutely no such thing. The only thing I presented was the fallacy of mistaking correlation for causation, which is what is occurring in the article you've referenced.

That's the great thing about logic and critical thinking. It has no creed, no ideology. And people cling to beliefs (misguided or not) regardless of what you and I and anyone else thinks. That's been known for centuries. It is the hallmark of a belief

No that line I quoted comes from the song "The Boxer".

Someone asked for research and I knew my five minutes would be wasted because it is not what people WANT to hear.

We have become people who create own own reality.

You can understand people doing this on matters of faith but no matter the research people cling to the ideas that have been marketed to them.

Edited by Danno

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

I hear you but a person needs to either present themself as a Doubting thomas who gave up on faith or a firm believer who lost their faith in God.

even if a person was to present themselves in one of the two manners you've deemed proper - your response would be the same. simply discredit a person's faith or understanding and you don't have to even acknowledge their experience.

I'm not going back for the quotes, unless that is a rule. If one is going to claim that atheists do "less of this in their community" and "commit suicide more" Then I would enjoy reading through those research articles myself. I don't think it is fair for anyone to make claims about a population and not back it up with links to journal articles or papers to actual research.

And gee, wasn't it a christian that wrote on a bill in a restaurant recently, saying they give to g-d? That sounds like "helping out" to me.

If you really want to read about it, here's a link.

http://www.hoover.org/publications/policy-review/article/6577

As to the minister that scratched out the tip, and mentioned giving at church, well there's ashholes everywhere. Belonging to or even ministering in a religion certainly doesn't give immunity.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

even if a person was to present themselves in one of the two manners you've deemed proper - your response would be the same. simply discredit a person's faith or understanding and you don't have to even acknowledge their experience.

The only thing I am trying to get at is the truth.

I respect peoples experience but not when that experience is not consistent.

Often I am stirring the pot a little and some people take it a little too serious.

I thought I was going easy by not bringing up other oddities which are associated with Atheism, such as obesity and less ability to attract a mate..... and then there is the whole, male dominated aspect.

:thumbs:

William Penn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

And since you asked about the mental state of our Atheists friends, here is what mental health professionals have found.

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleid=177228

Thanks for the links.

You really can't say "here is what the mental health professionals have found." First of all, this study is older and didn't have a very large sample (371 people)was done in one state, only included one mental illness (Major depression, according to the DSM-III and now the DSM-V is scheduled for release very soon).

This is not enough evidence for me to infer that Atheists will have more suicide attempts or be at an increased risk/attempt for suicidal behaviour. I think it is interesting to see that there is a difference in this *one* study, but this is not conclusive by any means.

I would like to know if there is one that has been completed in the last 5 years. I'll do the research myself.

Actually I'm quite surprised that Atheists would call it "church" period. According to the Oxford dictionary it is defined as:

"noun: a building used for public Christian worship: the church was largely rebuilt at the end of the 15th century. Some people go to church every Sunday "after church we went to a restaurant"

BTW, I'm not a christian, I actually identify as a apathetic agnostic atheist. I don't see what is such a big deal about atheists getting together (in what I imagine is satire) and holding an event that would be comparable to a christian service. The title of your post appears to be trolling and really shows intolerance of others beliefs.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you really want to read about it, here's a link.

http://www.hoover.org/publications/policy-review/article/6577

As to the minister that scratched out the tip, and mentioned giving at church, well there's ashholes everywhere. Belonging to or even ministering in a religion certainly doesn't give immunity.

Thanks for that link. I'll have to have a read through. I understand there are jerks everywhere and I agree with your last comment. If anything, if this person was a minister - they should be setting an example of giving - not declaring what they do. It is rather selfish.

Edited by Buxi&Dusk

The only thing I am trying to get at is the truth.

I respect peoples experience but not when that experience is not consistent.

Often I am stirring the pot a little and some people take it a little too serious.

I thought I was going easy by not bringing up other oddities which are associated with Atheism, such as obesity and less ability to attract a mate..... and then there is the whole, male dominated aspect.

you're completely full of it.

please don't go easy on me, i want to see links from all the 'oddities' you're linking with atheism. obesity and unable to attract a mate? "male dominated" aspect? i'm just tryina get to the truth - i'm not obese, i'm married..please oh please give me links pot stirrer.

you're completely full of it.

please don't go easy on me, i want to see links from all the 'oddities' you're linking with atheism. obesity and unable to attract a mate? "male dominated" aspect? i'm just tryina get to the truth - i'm not obese, i'm married..please oh please give me links pot stirrer.

You will not get links. Nothing credible anyway. You'll get something from a source called fatlonelyatheists.org or some other BS.

You will not get links. Nothing credible anyway. You'll get something from a source called fatlonelyatheists.org or some other BS.

i heard fatlonelyatheists.org was a mirror site for christianmingle.com. just wanted to compare notes :luv:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

:rofl:

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

The only demographic group that shows a higher incidence of obesity are poor people, and even that is only slight. I'm in church three times a week now (albeit just to pick up my kid from preschool) and I see as many obese people there as any where else. I was already thinking they should look at reinforcing the pews with rebar.

As far as "male dominated", it seems hypocritical to even suggest that of atheism, considering the overtly patriarchal nature of most religions.

Dude you got five friends giving you a star on that post!!!

Congrats.

NOt that it can change any minds here.....but why not just say "prove it danno"?

and I will..... again.

William Penn