Danno

Do Atheists have an emptiness which needs filling?

207 posts in this topic

It's kind of like watching a WWE contest. Lots of chest-thumping, bravado, trash talk and dissembling.

MOAR PLS

But which one is CM Punk?

Hmmm.

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You don't have to prove anything to me, Danno. Your insistence on starting topics like this shows that you're not all that confident in your own beliefs. If you were, there would be no reason to even post stuff like this. Work on "proving it" to yourself first. Good luck.

What were we even talking about... how men tend to be atheist much more than women?

http://www.livescience.com/7689-women-religious-men.html

The latest findings, released Friday, are no surprise, only confirming what other studies have found for decades. Still, the new numbers illustrate interesting and stark differences. They come from a fresh review of data that was collected in a 2007 survey and initially released last year by the Pew Research Center. The percent of women (and then men) who:

Are affiliated with a religion: 86 (79).

Have absolutely certain belief in a God or universal spirit: 77 (65).

Pray at least daily: 66 (49).

Have absolutely certain belief in a personal God: 58 (45).

The survey involved interviews with more than 35,000 U.S. adults by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

George H. Gallup, Jr., in an analysis for the Gallup polling organization back in 2002, wrote that the differences in religiosity between men and women have been shown consistently across the previous seven decades of polls.

Did we talk about how Atheism in the USA (and elsewhere) is a mono chromatic club?

Well a few Black Atheists have been found here and there but apparently going to a Atheist gathering of any type is not much different than going to a Sierra Club meeting (nearly all white).

But back to the "lonely hearts club for Atheist guys..... ya gotta feel for em. In fact when I read this one Atheists words, I wondered what it must be like.

The Woman Problem

Posted by PZ Myers on June 29, 2010

It’s an odd way to put it, I know, but it gets your attention. I could have called this the Atheist and Skeptic Problem, which is more accurate, but leads people to start listing all of our problems, starting with how annoying we are, and just for once I’d rather not go down that road. So here’s the Woman Problem, and it’s not a problem with women: it’s a problem with atheist and skeptic groups looking awfully testosteroney. And you all know it’s true, every time I post a photo of some sampling of the audience at an atheist meeting, it is guaranteed that someone will count the contribution of each sex and it will be consistently skewed Y-ward.

Why? And what are we going to do about it?

Obviously, the way for us to answer these questions is for me, the loud and assertive male, to pontificate on the issues and tell the women what’s wrong here and how they can fix it. That would be the manly thing to do, after all — let’s take charge and tell the little ladies what to do so we don’t look quite so sexist when the all-male review prances about on the stage. More tokens, please, join us up here! Make us look good!

But no. I think the right answer is for us males to shut up now and then and listen. It’s not for us men to tell women how to fix our (both men and women) problems, but if we’re to have a lasting and equitable representation at the tables of atheism and skepticism, the guys who currently dominate need to step back and stop pushing.

I was thinking about this because I was reading Skeptifem’s take on the absence of female skeptics, and my first reaction was that it was pretty good, but I had some little disagreements here and there where I thought I could put together a quick blog post with plusses and minuses listed…but then I realized that these are the problems she honestly sees. These are real obstacles in both perception and reality, not an academic exercise. Shut up and listen, I told myself.

So I’m going to try something a little different. Instead of telling you my opinion, I’m going to forgo the essential principle of blogging (which is “Me! Me!”) and just ask people, especially women, to leave links to their godless/skeptical feminist blog or make suggestions or gripe or tell me what these stupid male-dominated conventions have to do to correct the imbalance. I know there are some great blogs out there run by women — Skepchicks and Greta and Ophelia and more — so share more wealth. Skepchicon 2010 is happening this weekend, so people can nag me there, too. I shall be a passive receptacle for your ideas.

I do have to make one suggestion (the testosterone compels me) for something I’d really like to see happen. Skepchicon 2010 is terrific, but it’s fairly small in scale. Meanwhile, Atheist Alliance International is sponsoring all these big noisy conferences, and lately they’ve been themed: Copenhagen was Gods and Politics, Montreal will be Atheists Without Borders. I think what we really need is a Women and Secularism conference, organized by women and for both male and female freethinkers, where the women call all the shots and bring together all these great homogametic speakers — while the women are always the minority at these conferences, there’s still always great talent, and looking over the lists of past speakers it would be easy to put together a stellar female cast. All we need is some uppity women with ambition to make it happen, and the application of a little pressure to the staff at AAI.

Oh, and guys: in this thread, unless you’re sincerely trying to be fem-friendly and make positive suggestions and ask for more information and read attentively, take a back seat for a bit, OK? It’s not that hard to do.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

I'm not kidding. It's pretty amazing someone claiming Christian expertise doesn't recognize quotes from their own Bible. Or doesn't know how to look up Bible verses properly themselves. If you pose yourself as knowledgable then it is legitimate grounds to point out the opposite.

In your case observe the inability to read the second half of the definition for this kind of emotional abuse.

Maven - that's at least four personal insults since arriving, contributing nothing to the topic, a pretty stout record for someone claiming to be so disinterested. :) So much for lecturing us all on how you are so dispassionate and respectful of others. Looks to me like you're all about trying to push emotional buttons.

Wait a minute, when did I make any claims of being an "expert" at anything, and in this instance the Bible?

The only thing I do is "respond", someone asserts something and I respond with more information.

You see, not only are you wrong on the facts of the topics ... you're even fabricating things about me.

Work on that.

William Penn

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

What were we even talking about... how men tend to be atheist much more than women?

You forgot what you said? You could just scroll back you know. I believe you claimed something atheist being more likely to be obese, unable to attract a mate and the "male dominated aspect".

You obviously choose your source carefully to fit your argument, because they don't agree with mainstream research.

Study: Young adults firm in faith, more likely fat by 50

Frequent churchgoers frequently fatter

Faith and Fat: Religious Youths More Likely to Be Obese by Mid-Life

Fat in church

Edited by Dakine10

QCjgyJZ.jpg

You forgot what you said? You could just scroll back you know. I believe you claimed something atheist being more likely to be obese, unable to attract a mate and the "male dominated aspect".

You obviously choose your source carefully to fit your argument, because they don't agree with mainstream research.

Study: Young adults firm in faith, more likely fat by 50

Frequent churchgoers frequently fatter

Faith and Fat: Religious Youths More Likely to Be Obese by Mid-Life

Fat in church

oh my. what has happened? seems like an niche opportunity!

take back your temple.

the eden diet

christian weight loss camp

Timeline

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145379/Religious-Americans-Lead-Healthier-Lives.aspx

Survey says-

-8juxz0i0uexkvfwiz0pea.gif

To be honest, if we never saw the data, I would have bet church going folk were ,on average fatter, but part of that misconception is perhaps due to the relatively few (out of the closet) atheists among us to judge by.

But apparently obesity in the non believing makes sense - as we know they are more often depressed, we know it is harder to find a likeminded spouse, we know they tend to have higher incidents in a number of troubling areas so

being overweight would often accompany that.

If we put statistic and that reality aside I would have to agree whole heartedly that there are too many heavy people in Church especially given the Bibles admonition concerning gluttony.

:thumbs:

William Penn

If we put statistic and that reality aside I would have to agree whole heartedly that there are too many heavy people in Church especially given the Bibles admonition concerning gluttony.

i'm sorry but a poll using "data" collected over the telephone isn't going to cut it for me..

Results are based on telephone interviews conducted as part of the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index survey Jan. 2-July 28, 2010, with a random sample of 554,066 adults, aged 18 and older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia, selected using random-digit-dial sampling. Of this sample, very religious respondents comprised the plurality (43.2%), with slightly more than one-quarter each for moderately religious and nonreligious respondents.

they asked people how much they exercise, smoke, and what types of food they eat. wonder how often religious folk lie about such things?

given the results of this poll, i'd say pretty often.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

they asked people how much they exercise, smoke, and what types of food they eat. wonder how often religious folk lie about such things?

You beat me to it! My personal experiences tell me this poll is B.S.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i'm sorry but a poll using "data" collected over the telephone isn't going to cut it for me..

isn't that how most polls are conducted?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

How many people are going to tell strangers over the phone that they eat like sh*t and never get off the couch?

isn't that how most polls are conducted?

sure.

danno tells me that nonreligious are fatter and lonelier than religious people, i want scientific proof - not a poll.

and it isn't just that i don't trust people's answers on their health habits - but also their answers on how religious they are. it's real easy to say you attend church every sunday over the phone, but how often you actually attend is probably less, for many americans.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

How many people are going to tell strangers over the phone that they eat like sh*t and never get off the couch?

I had a couple friends here in Dallas back in the 90s that were hardcore Baptists. We'd go to the bar and they'd get sloshed and start preaching to me about god and the baptist church etc. Funny they never brought any of their "church friends" to these bar closing evangelical events.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

how many are gonna care? it's not like they're on the local talk radio show.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!