Lina123

Next steps for spousal visa

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello,

I am looking to relocate from Australia to the States with my husband who is a US Citizen (who currently resides in Australia) this year and am unsure about which forms I need to complete.

We have already filed a I-130 that he completed and each completed G-325a which was sent at the same time and just received the I-797 form of approval.

I'd like to know what the next steps are so I can speed up the process, if at all possible. I'm a little confused whether I should be applying for a K3 visa or IR-1/CR-1. If I am applying for the K3 I believe my next step is to complete the I-129F form. Is this what I should be doing?

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Edited by Lina123

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I-129F .. for the K3 visa is so u can go to the US while waiting for I-130 to be approved

if I-130 is approved, u proceed with CR1/IR1 visa , which means waiting for NVC to get ur petition and assign u a case number and give u further instructions

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I say follow the CR-1/IR-1 path instead of the K-3

Find LingChe in the wiki here, read all.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Forget the K3 and follow the path you are already on. Here is a Guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

I-129F .. for the K3 visa is so u can go to the US while waiting for I-130 to be approved

if I-130 is approved, u proceed with CR1/IR1 visa , which means waiting for NVC to get ur petition and assign u a case number and give u further instructions

Thanks for your response.

Do you happen to know approximately how long it takes to get approval from the NVC for the I-130 and from then how long it takes to get the CR1/IR1 approval?

Do you also know whether I am able to visit the States during this period?

Thanks!!

I say follow the CR-1/IR-1 path instead of the K-3

Find LingChe in the wiki here, read all.

Good Luck !

Thanks for your advice which I will be following!

Timeline

Thank you for your post Penguin_ie! I have followed all the required steps for the IR1/CR1 which is a relief. This link is the answer I've been looking for as I've desperately wanted to know what to expect next so thank you for forwarding it.

Hopefully the process will be smooth!

All the best!

Edited by Lina123

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

You first need approval from the USCIS

you can check ur status in the USCIS website

as well as approx. processing time

or you can compare timelines here in the forum from australia for example ?

after i-130 is approved, they will forward it to the NVC and then u will need to submit more documents and pay fees

after that they will shcedule ur interview in the embassy in australia

i dont think u can enter the US while waiting for ur cr1/ir1 visa

but the k3 wont speed up the process

we submited both i-130 and i-129f in hope it can happen faster, but the i-130 was approved before the i-129f, which made them drop the i-129f altogether :P stupid process

good luck and i hope it happens fast for u !!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-3 Process forum to CR-1 Process forum -- OP is on the I-130 path. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

You can enter the US while waiting on a visa. Whether the immigration officer at the border will let you in is another matter. They are worried you will just stay and try and adjust status. Just say you are visiting friends or family (which I assume is true), or if you are really worried then bring some evidence of ties to Australia (like a letter from your employer) and make sure you have a return ticket. I think if you come from a low-fraud country it helps though. I have never once been questioned while vacationing in the US with my husband/then boyfriend.

You submitted all the necessary supporting evidence as well right? (bona-fide marriage evidence, evidence of US citizenship) I'm just worried since in your post you only talked about the forms :)

Did you list your Australian address on all forms? And made it clear you live in Australia together? If you are lucky your i-130 petition could be approve in 30 - 40 days, or it could take months. Once that is complete your case is forwarded to the NVC (to whom you send some additional forms and documents) and then it's forwarded to the Austrailian embassy.

Definitely read the guides and especially the NVC shortcut guides a few times. It took me awhile to get my head around them (all that calling and different numbers) but once you understand the process it will be much easier.

Timeline

You can enter the US while waiting on a visa. Whether the immigration officer at the border will let you in is another matter. They are worried you will just stay and try and adjust status. Just say you are visiting friends or family (which I assume is true), or if you are really worried then bring some evidence of ties to Australia (like a letter from your employer) and make sure you have a return ticket. I think if you come from a low-fraud country it helps though. I have never once been questioned while vacationing in the US with my husband/then boyfriend.

You submitted all the necessary supporting evidence as well right? (bona-fide marriage evidence, evidence of US citizenship) I'm just worried since in your post you only talked about the forms :)

Did you list your Australian address on all forms? And made it clear you live in Australia together? If you are lucky your i-130 petition could be approve in 30 - 40 days, or it could take months. Once that is complete your case is forwarded to the NVC (to whom you send some additional forms and documents) and then it's forwarded to the Austrailian embassy.

Definitely read the guides and especially the NVC shortcut guides a few times. It took me awhile to get my head around them (all that calling and different numbers) but once you understand the process it will be much easier.

Thanks for your reply. I was extremely meticulous completing the forms & providing the required documentation to support the application so fingers crossed this will speed things up. I have received my approved I-797 Notice of Action so now am waiting to be contacted by the NVC.

Another person on this forum has provided me with a link to a page on this site which answered my questions on what the next steps. This link was very reassuring as it showed that I completed everything that I needed to for the IR1/CR1.

Thanks for your comments re entering the States. It seems to support what I've read elsewhere that I can enter but am at the mercy of the POE official. I will take your advice and take supporting documentation that I plan to leave after a few weeks.

Thanks!

Timeline

You first need approval from the USCIS

you can check ur status in the USCIS website

as well as approx. processing time

or you can compare timelines here in the forum from australia for example ?

after i-130 is approved, they will forward it to the NVC and then u will need to submit more documents and pay fees

after that they will shcedule ur interview in the embassy in australia

i dont think u can enter the US while waiting for ur cr1/ir1 visa

but the k3 wont speed up the process

we submited both i-130 and i-129f in hope it can happen faster, but the i-130 was approved before the i-129f, which made them drop the i-129f altogether :P stupid process

good luck and i hope it happens fast for u !!

Thank you for your response, it is very helpful! I have just received approval from USCIS so hopefully can get through the remaining steps with relative ease - one can only hope!

It would be helpful for you to fill out your timeline. Are you saying you have already received both Notice of Action I-797 papers? Wow. If indeed you have received both NOA1 and NOA2 your file will be forwarded onto the NVC. Read up on the NVC filing threads and all the links associated as well. Congrats.

Generally speaking the second stage is the fast one so you may want the beneficiary to wait Australia to complete everything. I'm not sure how fast they are at booking interviews there.

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.