Penny Lane

Moving threads from P&R to OT.

15 posts in this topic

When a thread gets moved to Off Topic, it dies a quick death. I would rather see an expansion of what is allowed in the P&R forum. Maybe add the words "Hot Topics" as suggested, or possibly "Current Events".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

When a thread gets moved to Off Topic, it dies a quick death. I would rather see an expansion of what is allowed in the P&R forum. Maybe add the words "Hot Topics" as suggested, or possibly "Current Events".

I think this all started when a few windmill/green energy threads got moved from P&R to OT. A certain member didn't like that, and ever since then there seems to be some kind of issue.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

I think this all started when a few windmill/green energy threads got moved from P&R to OT. A certain member didn't like that, and ever since then there seems to be some kind of issue.

Those threads didn't really spark discussion so I didn't miss them, to be honest.

Filed: Timeline

Can we have another discussed on why this is happening so often? There doesn't seem to be any structure to it, no actual guidelines that are being followed. Every once in awhile, some threads are moved. That's basically it.

A thread about a shooting was moved from P&R to OT yesterday. Meanwhile, there were at least five other shooting threads that were left in P&R for an unknown reason.

Nobody knows what the "rules" are since they seem to change based on who feels like moving a thread. Can we either move ALL the "off topic" threads to OT and determine what OT really is, or can we please change the name of P&R so that the discussions we have there can stay there? Because once they're moved to OT, they die. Not a lot of people frequent that forum nearly as much.

the maven had an excellent suggestion as to what to do with the P&R forum:

This makes total sense to me and would stop the silly moving of the topics.

Here's what the moderator who moved a thread yesterday said:

So they only read one of the countless shooting threads and determined it was off topic, but ignored the rest and they're still there. And still thriving.

Can someone take a serious look at maven's suggestion? Or will things just remain the way they are?

Thanks!

The problem is that the moderators really don't talk to each other enough. For a team to act cohesively, there needs to be a substantial amount of time spent talking to each other about their shared objectives and they need to share their thought processes with each other. It's my understanding that a small number of moderators do this but others do not.

Now, the response to this is going to be "moderators have lives and families". No duh, of course they do. And when those lives and families cause an individual moderator to "fragment" from the group, it creates bad moderation. That's not a knock on the moderator with the life and the family, it's a knock on whoever put the team together.

All the rules in the world issued by Ewok won't help if his mod team remains fragmented and disconnected from one another.

Edited by ^_^

The issue pre-dates your joining, grasshopper. The struggle has its roots in the Great Off Topic War of summer 2010. The Troll Forces forced the partition of Off Topic, and the great behemoth P&R emerged in the aftermath.

Seriously, there's been debate about what belongs where between the two fora since P&R was created. Some people use moving from one forum to the other as part of their agenda on VJ. They get an unwitting mod or organiser to do a move, and people get butthurt. The only thing this has to do with those green energy threads is that their moving was almost certainly part of someone's agenda.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I really don't see why it's such a difficult matter to tackle. Either change the name of P&R to be more widely accepting of the content that's already posted there, or for ONCE be consistent with what gets moved and what doesn't.

[quote name=^_^' timestamp='1359740559' post='5954261]

You can't expect a team that lacks cohesiveness to act consistently. It just doesn't work.

If they can't be acting consistently, they shouldn't be acting at all.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Returning OT and P&R back into one thread is not an option, at least at this time. Even with the current confusion about where a thread belongs, the benefits of keeping the political/religious based discussion separate from OT outweigh the perceived liabilities. We are, however, investigating options to rename the thread that will provide clear direction about what is and isn't appropriate for the forum. Since this is not our decision alone to make, we are working collectively (yes, as mentioned above, we do this regularly) to present a viable option to Administration in a way that clearly demonstrates its appropriateness.

Thank you, Ewok, Kathryn and whoever else among the decision makers to lend an ear to the valid complaints. Renaming P&R to Hot Topic/Current Events would, in my opinion, make it quite easy for Organizers and Mods to determine what threads need to be moved to Off Topic.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Thank you, Ewok, Kathryn and whoever else among the decision makers to lend an ear to the valid complaints. Renaming P&R to Hot Topic/Current Events would, in my opinion, make it quite easy for Organizers and Mods to determine what threads need to be moved to Off Topic.
I'm receptive to whatever might be decided. However, would like to point out some considerations:

-- There might be cause (or calls) to move an OT thread into P&R, if a seemingly innocuous "OT" subject becomes Hot or Current.

-- How is it agreed or decided upon that a topic is or isn't Hot or Current? And, after a variable time, where's the line between "Cooling Rapidly," "Flash-in-the-Pan," or "Stale"?

-- Moving something from P&R to OT, as is done now, actually increases the exposure somewhat. The "threadcrumb" (the indication that a post has been moved) remains in the original forum, and the actual thread is in the destination forum. Accordingly, the thread is in two fora without impermissibly being a duplicate thread. This also applies to anything in the upper fora -- two attention-getters.

Finally, there's nothing to keep the P&R regulars from (gag, aaack, shudder) also scoping the OT forum as a matter of practice. I sometimes get the impression that OT has a "here be dragons" sign thumbtacked to it. :P

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

-- There might be cause (or calls) to move an OT thread into P&R, if a seemingly innocuous "OT" subject becomes Hot or Current.

-- How is it agreed or decided upon that a topic is or isn't Hot or Current? And, after a variable time, where's the line between "Cooling Rapidly," "Flash-in-the-Pan," or "Stale"?

1: Yes, absolutely- the same happens now

2: I think re-naming the forum would give us more leeway to leave topics in that forum if they were originally posted there, ie to a certain extent it would be up to the OP to decide if a topic goes there or into OT, depending on where they see the discussion going. I don't see us moving topics from a Hot Topics forum to OT just because the discussion cooled down- the topic would simply fall off the page.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg