zeusthunder10

16 years old immigrant teen from colombia.

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello,

I arrived to this country 5 years ago, my mom came here 6-7 years ago and she's a permanent resident thanks to my brother who's a citizen and wavered her.

My mom's green card and citizenship is supposed to arrive in 2-3 years ( shes been a perm resident for a year)

shes really trying to get me papers so i can go to college, get a job and move out and have my life.

she doesn't know what to do because every lawyer shes has spoken to had told her something different.

shes thinking of getting me married when i turn 18, but i frankly do not want to since i already have a GF who i have been with for almost a year and i do not want to get married for papers.

i do not want to wait until im 18 either, i wanna get a job and help my mom and start saving up for college and a car and all

help?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

How did you arrive in the US? Did you come in on a visa or did you come in undocumented?

If you came in undocumented and are now 16, you do not have a legal status in the US, but you also have not accrued any illegal presence time, which is important. Once you turn 18 you start accumulating illegal presence which means that you will incur a 3 year or a 10 year ban on being allowed to re-enter the US legally. Unfortunately, if you entered without inspection at the border, then you are not eligible to obtain permanent residency in the US. You have no status in the US so you cannot adjust status to become a permanent resident, You can only be sponsored to come to the US through an overseas US Consulate. If you have a 3 year or 10 year ban due to illegal presence, then you would have to wait out that time before you would even be eligible for a sponsorship, unless your mother was able to prove some sort of 'hardship' waiver on your behalf. (These are difficult to obtain)

Once your Mother becomes a US citizen, she can sponsor you to become a permanent resident as long as you are able to be processed in an overseas consulate, have no ban or accumulated days of illegal presence, and you are unmarried. Since it looks like she won't be eligible to become a US citizen for another 3 years or so, that means you will have turned 18 before she gets her citizenship. To remain 'eligible' to be sponsored, you would have to leave the US once you turned 18. The sponsorship of an unmarried child will also take a few years so you may want to set up some sort of situation now back in your home country so you can continue to be eligible.

The only way your mother could sponsor you with you remaining in the US is if you currently have a valid legal status in the US - such as a student visa, a visitor's visa, an employment visa, etc. You have to be legally present and have a currently valid legal status before you can adjust status. Only spouses of US citizens can adjust status to become a permanent resident from an 'expired' or out of status state. Even if you had a visa when you entered 5 years ago, that status has now expired, so you are out of status. Once you turn 18 you will begin to accrue illegal presence days and will incur a 3 year or 5 year ban on entering the US.

I'm sorry that there is not better news for you right now. There is talk of immigration reform in President Obama's new term so circumstances for you may change. Right now, that is the best hope I can offer.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

How did you arrive in the US? Did you come in on a visa or did you come in undocumented?

If you came in undocumented and are now 16, you do not have a legal status in the US, but you also have not accrued any illegal presence time, which is important. Once you turn 18 you start accumulating illegal presence which means that you will incur a 3 year or a 10 year ban on being allowed to re-enter the US legally. Unfortunately, if you entered without inspection at the border, then you are not eligible to obtain permanent residency in the US. You have no status in the US so you cannot adjust status to become a permanent resident, You can only be sponsored to come to the US through an overseas US Consulate. If you have a 3 year or 10 year ban due to illegal presence, then you would have to wait out that time before you would even be eligible for a sponsorship, unless your mother was able to prove some sort of 'hardship' waiver on your behalf. (These are difficult to obtain)

Once your Mother becomes a US citizen, she can sponsor you to become a permanent resident as long as you are able to be processed in an overseas consulate, have no ban or accumulated days of illegal presence, and you are unmarried. Since it looks like she won't be eligible to become a US citizen for another 3 years or so, that means you will have turned 18 before she gets her citizenship. To remain 'eligible' to be sponsored, you would have to leave the US once you turned 18. The sponsorship of an unmarried child will also take a few years so you may want to set up some sort of situation now back in your home country so you can continue to be eligible.

The only way your mother could sponsor you with you remaining in the US is if you currently have a valid legal status in the US - such as a student visa, a visitor's visa, an employment visa, etc. You have to be legally present and have a currently valid legal status before you can adjust status. Only spouses of US citizens can adjust status to become a permanent resident from an 'expired' or out of status state. Even if you had a visa when you entered 5 years ago, that status has now expired, so you are out of status. Once you turn 18 you will begin to accrue illegal presence days and will incur a 3 year or 5 year ban on entering the US.

I'm sorry that there is not better news for you right now. There is talk of immigration reform in President Obama's new term so circumstances for you may change. Right now, that is the best hope I can offer.

i arrived with a tourist visa. i overstayed.

Your mother can file for you as her child while she is a LPR, but you will have to interview outside of the US. Have mother to file now, leave the US before you are 18 and 1 months old, therfore you will not have incurred any overstay.

BTW breaking the law doesn't make a good impression on any college or job application.

Timeline

Your mother can file for you as her child while she is a LPR, but you will have to interview outside of the US. Have mother to file now, leave the US before you are 18 and 1 months old, therfore you will not have incurred any overstay.

BTW breaking the law doesn't make a good impression on any college or job application.

my mom doesnt want me to leave the country for any reason

shes thinking of getting married so she becomes a citizen before i turn 18.

Timeline

Your mother getting married doesn't grant her citizenship. What so bad about going back to your home country, there are many safe place still there.

Making bad decisions will only compound and make the problem even bigger. Your mother needs to get the immigration facts straight first before she makes any ill gain decisions.

doesnt grant her citizenship but it makes the process faster so she can waiver me before i turn 18

if you think colombia is safe right now you need to go do some research.

Timeline

Every country has killings, people are living and making do. Country is still on the map. Babies are being born every day. No one is dropping bombs on Columbia, other countries have it worst. there are town and cities in the US that are just as hash as Columbia.

Your mother getting married doesn't do what you think, it doesn't just wavw you in with a white flag or a green light to go. Study the immigraation rules before you'll make poor decisions, that may effect the rest of your life.

learn how to spell Colombia.

Timeline

He's trying to help you. You just don't get married for papers and that's done. If you do get married *just* for papers, that's fraud. And that would be the least of your problems.

every member of my fam has done it. my brother did it, my cousin did it, my uncle did it.

Timeline

you guys just dont know how horrible it is, my GF is getting her drivers permit and shes gonna drive me around because i cant get mine because im undocumented.

i cannot help my mom pay the bills and i have to rely on her whenever i need money to take my GF out

sorry if i sound rude i just hate bad news...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.