Wenthworth

DO I NEED TO SHOW TAX RETURNS?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi,

I am about to file for a change of status for my wife.From a visitors visa to the temporary greencard.we got married in november.

My question is :I have not filed taxes for the last 3years because i have not worked for those years,i dont know if i require proof of tax returns for 3years.although i have a family friend who is our sponsor and would include his 3years tax return and his bank statement.

please i need your advice so we do not make a mistake in my wife's application.

Thank you.

oh and my wife is in the states,we got married here in Chicago.she has been here for over a year now.

Edited by Wenthworth

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

yes you 100% need to show tax returns unless you are not required to file. If you are not required to file you must still file an I-864 and show proof as to why you don't have to file, and get a joint sponsor who must also file a separate I-864.

Filed: Timeline

If you didn't file, and should have, it is the time to get back in the good graces with the IRS. Once you were married, your tax problems, if any, also became your wife's problems. Later down the road, your wife will have to show she is current with her taxes, and filed for the period since she became an LPR. Food for thought. If you didn't have to file, you (and she) will have to be able to show that is the case as well.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

Hi,

I am about to file for a change of status for my wife.From a visitors visa to the temporary greencard.we got married in november.

My question is :I have not filed taxes for the last 3years because i have not worked for those years,i dont know if i require proof of tax returns for 3years.

If you have no income for a tax year then you are not required to file. When you fill out the I-864 you need to put $0 as your income. That's all. And since you already have a joint sponsor then you're good to go.

USC married to Palestinian lived in Doha, Qatar for seven years, in the USA since July 2013 with an eight year old and a two year old smile.png

USCIS - 37 days
12.13.12: Sent I-130 from abroad
12.16.12: Delivered to Chicago Lock Box
12.19.12: NOA1 - E-mail, MSC number
12.21.12: Case showed up online
01.25.13: NOA2
01.30.13: Email from USCIS - Post Decision Activity - Case sent to NVC
NVC - 28 Days
02.05.13: NVC Received
02.22.13: Case/IIN Received

AOS Track
02.26.13: AOS bill invoiced
02.27.13: Pay AOS bill
03.06.13: AOS bill shows PAID
03.07.13: AOS package sent

IV Track
02.23.13: DS-3032 sent
03.03.13: DS-3032 re-sent for Supervisor Review
03.04.13: DS-3032 accepted
03.06.13: First DS-3032 accepted!
03.05.13: IV bill invoiced
03.06.13: Pay IV bill
03.07.13: IV bill shows PAID
03.07.13: IV package sent

03.11.13: AOS and IV Packages delivered to NVC
03.20.13: IV Package Accepted
03.22.13: Case complete
03.29.13: Interview scheduled - Email
04.02.13: Case left NVC
Consulate
04.04.13: Case received
04.08.13 - Medical
04.28.13 - Interview - Approved

05.02.13 - Visa In Hand
07.21.13 - POE (Washington D.C.)

Gearing up to apply for Naturalization in April 2016!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you have no income for a tax year then you are not required to file. When you fill out the I-864 you need to put $0 as your income. That's all. And since you already have a joint sponsor then you're good to go.

That is not all. If they were not required to file, they need to include a statement as to why they were not legally required to file for the last 3 years.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

That is not all. If they were not required to file, they need to include a statement as to why they were not legally required to file for the last 3 years.

No, b/c their income will clearly show as $0 on the form and so anyone processing the form will not need an extra statement saying that they didn't make any money and weren't required to file. It's not needed and many people have gotten approval without it. It's an extra step a lot of people include, but is not a requirement.

ETA: If someone had income but it was under the threshold to file then yes, I would say that they need to file a statement as well as information from the IRS proving that the amount is under the threshold. But no income whatsoever? Not needed.

Edited by Roosha

USC married to Palestinian lived in Doha, Qatar for seven years, in the USA since July 2013 with an eight year old and a two year old smile.png

USCIS - 37 days
12.13.12: Sent I-130 from abroad
12.16.12: Delivered to Chicago Lock Box
12.19.12: NOA1 - E-mail, MSC number
12.21.12: Case showed up online
01.25.13: NOA2
01.30.13: Email from USCIS - Post Decision Activity - Case sent to NVC
NVC - 28 Days
02.05.13: NVC Received
02.22.13: Case/IIN Received

AOS Track
02.26.13: AOS bill invoiced
02.27.13: Pay AOS bill
03.06.13: AOS bill shows PAID
03.07.13: AOS package sent

IV Track
02.23.13: DS-3032 sent
03.03.13: DS-3032 re-sent for Supervisor Review
03.04.13: DS-3032 accepted
03.06.13: First DS-3032 accepted!
03.05.13: IV bill invoiced
03.06.13: Pay IV bill
03.07.13: IV bill shows PAID
03.07.13: IV package sent

03.11.13: AOS and IV Packages delivered to NVC
03.20.13: IV Package Accepted
03.22.13: Case complete
03.29.13: Interview scheduled - Email
04.02.13: Case left NVC
Consulate
04.04.13: Case received
04.08.13 - Medical
04.28.13 - Interview - Approved

05.02.13 - Visa In Hand
07.21.13 - POE (Washington D.C.)

Gearing up to apply for Naturalization in April 2016!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

No, b/c their income will clearly show as $0 on the form and so anyone processing the form will not need an extra statement saying that they didn't make any money and weren't required to file. It's not needed and many people have gotten approval without it. It's an extra step a lot of people include, but is not a requirement.

ETA: If someone had income but it was under the threshold to file then yes, I would say that they need to file a statement as well as information from the IRS proving that the amount is under the threshold. But no income whatsoever? Not needed.

It IS a requirement. It is stated in the I-864 instructions. See page 8 of the instructions. "If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. law because your income was too low, attach a written explanation." $0 makes it too low.

Question #25 asks about income from the past 3 years of tax returns. They would need to put N/A in those 3 lines because they did not file and had no income. They need to provide a statement as to why they did not legally file the last 3 years. It is a simple thing to do, and follows the form instructions.

Better yet for #25 in their case is to put 'N/A-SEE ATTACHMENT' and add their statement as to why they did not legally need to file as the attachment.

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from CR-1 to AOS from Tourist visa ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.