erikalovescrippy

just a question...

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

One of the most common things people tell me when i explain my long distance relationship situation is "you have never spent large amounts of time with him, how do you know things are gonna work out when you finally get to live together"......does anybody else hear this from people too??....i get the whole soulmate/true love/meant to be together stuff but does anybody have the conversation of "what happens if this doesn't work out"...now before anybody starts with the "if your saying that already then somethings wrong" comments, these kinda questions are legitimate stuff to consider.....thanks for reading..please no a**holey comments..thanks..:)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to Off Topic forum -- topic not about a specific visa process. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hehe, you sound just like me 1 year ago. Before getting married I had a 2 years long long distance relationship and before even starting the relationship, we hadn't met for 2 years. Everyone would always ask the same questions. Well I had a theory and that's what I would always tell them: "I had a boyfriend, we were living in the same neighborhood and we were together for 4 years. In the end he cheated on me, he was abusive and the relationship ended after 4 years. Short distance just makes things easier but doesn't assure you that the person next to you is loyal or loves you more than anything or that will never leave you so why not trying long distance relationship if that person far away seems to be a perfect match for me?". Did they understand? No. Has anyone ever said anything at all to encourage me to go on with that? Absolutely not. I actually had a lot of people discouraging me and tell me to just quit and if I wanted to be with someone to be with someone closer to where I lived.

In my opinion nobody knows if any relationship is going to last and you're the only one that knows if the whole thing is worth the hassle.

Anyways good luck with your long distance relationship :)

Giovanna

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think a lot of us have had to deal with that question. Basically, for me, the answer was "I don't know it is going to work out. Just like I didn't know whether any of the other relationships I was in through my life would work or not. No one can 'know'. What I can do, and what we will do (and are doing) is promise to do our best to work on our relationship every day. We are two separate people and it is always a challenge to bring together two personalities, especially when you add in different backgrounds. Love goes a long way to helping you overcome some of the challenges; commitment to the relationship goes a long way; and being generous with your partner, treating them with respect, treating yourself with respect and treating the relationship with respect will help take it the rest of the way. No relationship comes with guarantees. I just know that I am going to do my best to make this one work, and if it doesn't it won't be for lack of trying. That's all any of us can promise - including the people asking you that question. :)

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

My mom was, at one point, convinced that my husband was using me for a green card and asked me how I could guarantee that he wasn't doing that. The difference, I guess, is that I was actually living overseas with him and she asked me that during my Christmas trip home. I told her that I couldn't guarantee that, but since I knew him well enough, I knew that he wasn't using me for that. I think, unfortuately, people hear a lot of stories about overseas relationships going bad, i.e. the immigrant using the USC for a green card, so sometimes it's hard to focus on all of the thousands or relationships that are true, honest and going stronger than ever. There are absolutely no guarantees in life, when we fall in love, we fall in love with our hearts. My family never met my husband until he came to the USA with his K-1 visa in hand, and they love him just like they would any other member of the family.

El destino me ha unido a vos.

I-129F K1 Visa Process
[01.18.2012] Sent I-129F Petition
[01.20.2012] NOA1
[06.13.2012] NOA2 - no RFE's
[07.09.2012] Petition received at NVC; case number assigned
[07.11.2012] Petition sent to Honduras consulate
[07.13.2012] Consulate received petition package
[08.07.2012] Received interview date & Packet 4 in email
[10.10.2012] Interview smile.png - APPROVED!
[10.18.2012] POE Houston
[10.29.2012] Marriage <3

I-485 AOS Process
[12.14.2012] Sent I-485 Package with I-765
[12.19.2012] NOA1
[12.24.2012] Biometrics letter received
[01.02.2013] RFE notice
[01.05.2013] RFE hardcopy received
[01.07.2013] Biometrics appointment
[03.04.2013] RFE sent back to USCIS
[03.19.2013] EAD approved
[03.27.2013] EAD arrived in the mail

[09.21.2013] I-485 approved

[09.26.2013] Green card sent in mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

though,i never thought of that...i was just being silly by asking that same question to my fiance once...

and he answered me.." that's why we have 90 days to get married when you get here...that means we can get to know each other for 60 days or more and then decide to get married if our relationship seems to work..."that's why a couple should have goals for the future and that both have agreed to whatever they think is good for them...but both also have trust each other..

we can never tell, but i never think that ours is not gonna work...i am always positive of everything, i believe that our relationship is genuine and what i feel for him is real...

09/29/2012 - Met Online

11/22/2012 - 11/28/2012 - Steve's 1st Visit

02/08/2013 - I129F Submitted

02/12/2013 - NOA1

02/13/2013 - 03/07/2013 - Steve's 2nd Visit

02/14/2013 - Officially Engaged

06/21/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to TSC

07/24/2013 - NOA2

08/21/2013 - File sent to NVC

08/28/2013 - MNL Case Number received through phone

08/30/2013 - Visa Fee Paid

09/04/2013 - Medical Exam at SLEC (Done in 1 day)

09/25/2013 - Interview Appointment (Under AP with 221G)

10/01/2013 - Additional Document dropped at 2GO SM Cebu

10/08/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to READY

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to AP

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status ISSUED

11/06/2013 - VISA Received

11/11/2013 - CFO Done

11/15/2013 - POE Detroit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

though,i never thought of that...i was just being silly by asking that same question to my fiance once...

and he answered me.." that's why we have 90 days to get married when you get here...that means we can get to know each other for 60 days or more and then decide to get married if our relationship seems to work..."that's why a couple should have goals for the future and that both have agreed to whatever they think is good for them...but both also have trust each other..

we can never tell, but i never think that ours is not gonna work...i am always positive of everything, i believe that our relationship is genuine and what i feel for him is real...

Actually, you might want to 'correct' your fiance on that. The 90 days isn't a 'getting to know you' option. You are expected to have already reached that point in your relationship that you know you wish to marry, and submitted statements of intent that you will marry when you get to the US. The 90 days is to allow time to plan and complete a wedding - not 'see if we get along and then decide to marry'. :no: Of course, it could be that during those 90 days the two of you decide that it isn't going to work and you break up and do not marry afterall. Relationships do go through that, but the K-1 visa is not a 'trial run'. It is expected to be the 'real thing'.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Actually, you might want to 'correct' your fiance on that. The 90 days isn't a 'getting to know you' option. You are expected to have already reached that point in your relationship that you know you wish to marry, and submitted statements of intent that you will marry when you get to the US. The 90 days is to allow time to plan and complete a wedding - not 'see if we get along and then decide to marry'. :no: Of course, it could be that during those 90 days the two of you decide that it isn't going to work and you break up and do not marry afterall. Relationships do go through that, but the K-1 visa is not a 'trial run'. It is expected to be the 'real thing'.

The question was "What happens if this doesn't work out?Referring to their "long distance relationship,after having all the paperworks done". As many people say, you can never really know somebody until you live with him /her on same roof.Though, a good couple can manage to settle things between them if something goes wrong in that 90 days or even after they got married.To marry somebody is not just about marriage.Its a lifetime commitment.

09/29/2012 - Met Online

11/22/2012 - 11/28/2012 - Steve's 1st Visit

02/08/2013 - I129F Submitted

02/12/2013 - NOA1

02/13/2013 - 03/07/2013 - Steve's 2nd Visit

02/14/2013 - Officially Engaged

06/21/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to TSC

07/24/2013 - NOA2

08/21/2013 - File sent to NVC

08/28/2013 - MNL Case Number received through phone

08/30/2013 - Visa Fee Paid

09/04/2013 - Medical Exam at SLEC (Done in 1 day)

09/25/2013 - Interview Appointment (Under AP with 221G)

10/01/2013 - Additional Document dropped at 2GO SM Cebu

10/08/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to READY

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to AP

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status ISSUED

11/06/2013 - VISA Received

11/11/2013 - CFO Done

11/15/2013 - POE Detroit

Strange thing, I don't get asked that question much. I suppose because I talk about him as much as the girls at work chat about their husbands or bf's.

Before our engagement I noticed some people referred to him as "your friend" and did not seem to think our relationship was legit because of the distance and despite the regular visits we made to each other for two years! One or two even tried to set me up on blind dates :blink: A few questioned how we could be faithful to each other :angry:

How did I deal with it? Early on I stopped trying to justify our relationship to others... what do they know, anyway. My fiance and I have faith that all will be well with us even though everyday won't be moonshine and roses. We are realistic about the difficulties we may face and we have candid discussions about how we'll deal with those challenges when they arise. We're not sweating about our future too much but we're committed to do our best to make things work.

If it does not work out (God Forbid): I'll cry, grieve, reflect, turn to family & friends for sympathy and shoulders to cry on. Then after while, I'll pick myself up, dry my tears, wipe away the snot, pull myself together, pack my bags, head back to London, return to my job and continue to travel the world.

K1 Visa - Dates in UK format

02/05/2012 I-129F Sent
07/05/2012 I-129F NOA1
02/11/2012 I-129F NOA2
14/11/2012 NVC Left
29/11/2012 Packet 3 Received
07/12/2012 Medical
12/12/2012 Packet 3 Sent
30/01/2013 Packet 4 Received
20/02/2013 Interview Date - Approved!
28/02/2013 Visa Received
03/06/2013 US Entry smile.png

22/06/2013 Marriage (Beautiful day) heart.gifrose.gif

AOS & EAD - Dates in US format

07/29/2013 Filing date

08/06/2013 NOA1

08/28/2013 Biometrics Apt

06/23/2014 Green Card

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline

One of the most common things people tell me when i explain my long distance relationship situation is "you have never spent large amounts of time with him, how do you know things are gonna work out when you finally get to live together"......does anybody else hear this from people too??....i get the whole soulmate/true love/meant to be together stuff but does anybody have the conversation of "what happens if this doesn't work out"...now before anybody starts with the "if your saying that already then somethings wrong" comments, these kinda questions are legitimate stuff to consider.....thanks for reading..please no a**holey comments..thanks..:)

I used to get those comments all the time along with worse comments like "he's having sex with other women and he's just using you!"

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

I used to get those comments all the time along with worse comments like "he's having sex with other women and he's just using you!"

NM. I just saw your other thread. I'm sorry to hear that.

Edited by spookyturtle

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

You have to understand that any such line of questioning from other people is rarely sincere, but rather just an opportunity to "invalidate" your relationship. People can pick any old thing, like age difference, cultural difference, religion, weather, language - and demand that you justify your relationship in light of these differences.

There can never be an answer to satisfy them because they have no intention of being satisfied. It is just a way to put you on the spot and make you feel inferior to them. So a more appropriate response is "I don't answer to you". Or "Who made you the judge of me".

If it is a question that you are asking of yourself or that your fiance has then of course it is reasonble to consider. An Americano can't just give his fiance from the third world the boot and say "get lost"... he has an obligation in my ever humble but infallible opinion to help her in getting her life back in order. If they are well off financially then there is less need for that kind of help but still an obligation to make it as easy on them as possilble.

How can anyone know they are not going to get hit by a bus tomorrow and die. It's a stupid rhetorical question.

Edited by rlogan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I explained to people that the 5 hours a day that we actually spent talking were way more than most couples get to do and the activities of life can distract you from really getting that much time to just talk. We definitely talk way less than that now that we live together or maybe we just know everything about each other now.

People would make some comments but it is easy to just cut them down with "I don't believe in living together before marriage really anyways." :goofy:

Oh, our relationship has been amazing since we are actually in person, more amazing than I could have ever dreamed.

Edited by Nola123

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

I tell them that because we are apart we talk way more to each other than close-distance couples and that the distance is actually good in that we are forced to take things slower. We have already had conversations on how we are going to deal with finances, what our goals are going to be as a couple, our bucket lists, etc.

Personally I feel that because we have already had all of these conversations and have our directions set out and can communicate well we have a better shot than a close-distance couple. Especially the whirlwind romance ones.