Amanda & Simo

Minor Information! Stressseeeedddd

79 posts in this topic

I am not questioning the fact that you can marry at 17, of course you can!, my mother married at 16! the problem, for the federal government will be your ability to be held liable if your I-134 had to be enforced since, you will be signing it while a minor. If you would have to file a form I-864, that is binding and contractual, I do now you can not enter that kind of contractual obligation if you are not 18. Anyway, you can file at any age but, you risk denial. Be patient and wait a few months, meantime, keep asking questions and reading, there is a lot of very knowledgeable people here, willing to help you. Don't stress out

:yes:

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

Where are you getting married and where will you be residing in the US? In Washington State? You must be legally eligible to marry at the time you file the K-1. Since each state is different, you turn to the state laws to determine eligibility. For Washington

The bride and groom must be 18 years of age or older in order to apply for a license without parental or guardian consent. If the bride and/or groom are 17 years of age, they must have parental and/or legal guardian consent to apply for a marriage license. Parents/Legal Guardians may come in with the couple and be sworn in with them before signing the consent form on the back of the marriage application or they may sign a notarized statement of consent. All persons under the age of 17 must have parent and/or guardian consent and must present a court order obtained from Family Court and signed by a District Court judge with a court seal on it. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this rule. Emancipated juveniles are still required to obtain a court order and/or parental consent—whichever applies.

Others in this situation have sent the parental consent in with the K-1, and I have not read any stories of anyone being denied. You will have to sign the I-134 after NOA2, and you will be 18 by then, so I'm not really sure why everyone is focusing on that.

Financially, they look at your US tax returns from the previous year to be greater than 125% of the poverty line, otherwise you will need a sponsor that makes enough to cover their own family and your fiance. The income has to be in USD, so you and your mother being in Spain will not work.

Also, if you take the K-1 route, your fiance will not be able to legally work in the US for about 6 months and he will be entirely financially dependent on you and your cosponsor. I think it would be wiser and cheaper to get married first and apply for the I-130, given you are currently together in Spain, and that the Casablanca consulate is difficult to get a visa at. At least that way he can work when he enters the states. Honestly, your best chances of getting through that consulate is to get married in Spain, and stay there for 2 years, then filing I-130. I'm not saying you will be denied if you do otherwise, you just have a greater chance for success.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

With all due respect, I don't appreciate the condescending tone. My fiancé is my fiancé, not my "fiancé"

Have a nice day.

The tone is NOT condescending....it's the TRUTH. Do your homework; based on the many many many difficulties others have had with the K-1 at Casablanca, the odds are not in your favor....for all the items mentioned. Good Luck.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

With all due respect, I don't appreciate the condescending tone. My fiancé is my fiancé, not my "fiancé"

Have a nice day.

I wasn't being condescending I was speaking the truth. You are 17, a minor trying to go through one of the most difficult consulates. If you ask for advice and don't want to hear truth you shouldn't be posting here. As someone else posted you are not legally able to marry unless you have a court order from the state of Washington, no exceptions. You are a minor child and legally you cannot sign any binding contracts, including a marriage certificate, comprende? You can argue all you want, it won;t get you anywhere, the only thing it will get you is a big fat denial on interview day and then you will come back here crying, asking where you went wrong. You are dealing with people, especially people from Morocco who have been down this road. They have been denied even with long relationships and long marriages, not needed co-sponsors and who are existing residents of this country, some with more than one denial. If you choose not to listen to advice, and just wait until you are 18 to at least file, I can tell you with 100% certainty that you will be flat out denied. That is the hard truth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

There is only one way to find out if he will be approved and that is to apply for the petition. The advice given here is very accurate but when a person is in love and determined they will do as they wish. Unfortunately, being confident and having money does not guarantee anything with this process when dealing with Casa consulate. I have seen countless of married couples be denied after having met all the requirements much less a K-1 visa. For those of us that have come before you all I can say is prepare him for what he will experience and much of the preparing only comes from the shared experiences from members of this site. Don't take anything personal just extract what you will need to set him up for success. As I have told my 20 and 22 year olds, sometimes we have no clue or are aware that we don't know something.

We wish everyone here luck, take what you really need from all this advice, even if you don't know.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

There is only one way to find out if he will be approved and that is to apply for the petition. The advice given here is very accurate but when a person is in love and determined they will do as they wish. Unfortunately, being confident and having money does not guarantee anything with this process when dealing with Casa consulate. I have seen countless of married couples be denied after having met all the requirements much less a K-1 visa. For those of us that have come before you all I can say is prepare him for what he will experience and much of the preparing only comes from the shared experiences from members of this site. Don't take anything personal just extract what you will need to set him up for success. As I have told my 20 and 22 year olds, sometimes we have no clue or are aware that we don't know something.

We wish everyone here luck, take what you really need from all this advice, even if you don't know.

:thumbs:

event.png

event.png

Marriage: 7/12/10
Filed I-130: 9/10/12
NOA1: 9/17/12
Transferred to NBC: 9/19/12
Sent to local office for adjudication: 9/21/12
RFE for Beneficiary BC received 12/13/12
Mail BC in response to RFE 12/17/12
NOA2: 12/20/12
NVC case number assigned: 1/29/13
Sent DS-3032 email: 1/31/13
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 2/1/13
Pay I-864 Bill: 2/5/13
NVC Accepted DS-3032: 2/12/13
Received IV Bill: 2/13/13
Send Completed I-864: 2/16/13
NVC Received I-864 Package: 2/19/13
AOS Package accepted: 2/26/13
Pay IV Bill: 2/28/13
IV Packet Sent: 3/2/13
NVC Received IV Packet: 3/4/13
Case Completed at NVC: 3/13/13
Interview date: 4/30/13

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POE: pending

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

do some research. And well I haven't read anywhere you had to be 18 to file. it just says a U.S Citizen. And my opinion is just do research and the both of you have a very LONG talk before you begin the whole process. My fiance and I started dating In June 2010 when i was 18 and he was 21. We just recently filed and I'm 21 and he is 24. I know there is absolutely NO age limit when both of you are in love! and I don't agree with some opinions here that say go to college first. I think the most important thing is that your parents approve the relationship, just make sure you have a cosponsor available just in case your income is not sufficient. It is better to be well prepared then NOT prepared. I just filed my fiances paperwork and it took me a month to do research and fill out all the papers. Also you need evidence that you both have seen each other int eh past two years. If you have your flight ticket from the time you entered his country that is perfect as well as some pictures! I understand you wanting to be back in time to go to college here. I personally am done with my associates this year and am unemployed. We are getting a cosponsor and we will live with my parents once he comes into the US. I am staring online classes in January because I will be traveling to Mexico to stay with him for 6 months until we receive our approval. Just relax and do not take some opinions personally. read the comments and come to a conclusion on your own, do the research and maybe start preparing the paperwork. As soon as you turn 18 SEND the paperwork in. (just to be on the safe side because you don't want an RFE that will delay the process.) If you send the paperwork depending on what office they send it to you will take about 5-7 months. College Classes do not start until END of August. You will MOST likely be here by then. IF you have enough evidence and send it in once you turn 18 just to be on the safe side like I mentioned. You can probably register for classes online and be ready to start the school year here with him. if it takes you 7 months you will have approval by July. A month to get an interview so by the most he will be here by end of August, you can maybe come before and he can come meet you after the interview! If you have ANY questions please let me know. We are all HERE to help one another! :)

Edited by aguileralupita30

eJLMm6.png

K1 Visa JourneyI129F

Sent: Nov 1st,2012

NOA1: Nov 7th,2012

NOA2:May 28th, 2013

NVC CASE RECEIVE: June10, 2013

NVC CASE LEFT: June 12,2013

EMBASSY RECEIVED: June 14, 2013

Packet3:never received he asked in ciudad juarez for it.

Medical: Aug.6,2013

Interview: Aug.7, 2013 approved

visa received: August 14, 2013

poe: August 21, 2013

AOS:

Sent:February 3,2014

Received: February 7,2014

Biometrics: March 14, 2014

EAD: April 23rd (Online Status changed)

EAD Card Received: May 1st

I485: still in initial Review since Feb 11

Timeline

your parents need to be residents of the US, not Spain in order to be co-sponsors. They need to have been filing their taxes in the US. at a US address(they need to be domiciled in the US) for foreign earned income and they need proof of it. My joint sponsor is temporarily working outside the US for 3 years, he had to have proof of his US address(he had to show that he had a lease and was paying it), he had to show that he had a US bank account that he has been using the entire time he has been overseas, and he had to show his US Federal Tax returns for 3 years claiming his foreign earned income. He also needed a notarized letter from him employer stating his employment outside of the US was just temporary. This isn't as easy as having your parents pay for you while they are in Spain living and you are here going to school.

Timeline

your parents need to be residents of the US, not Spain in order to be co-sponsors. They need to have been filing their taxes in the US. at a US address(they need to be domiciled in the US) for foreign earned income and they need proof of it. My joint sponsor is temporarily working outside the US for 3 years, he had to have proof of his US address(he had to show that he had a lease and was paying it), he had to show that he had a US bank account that he has been using the entire time he has been overseas, and he had to show his US Federal Tax returns for 3 years claiming his foreign earned income. This isn;t as easy as having your parents pay for you while they are in Spain living and you are here going to school.

good advice!!! take this into consideration! so its better to look for a US citizen or resident in the United States. Any family members, or friends who are willing to help. :)

eJLMm6.png

K1 Visa JourneyI129F

AOS:

Timeline

also, think where you both will be staying once you arrive in the United States. Look for a job and then when you have everything ready start the process. There are many things you have to think of an there is no point in rushing with all the paperwork, I checked all our paperwork like a thousand times before I sent it in.lol. Be well prepared for the whole process. it does take a while :/

eJLMm6.png

K1 Visa JourneyI129F

AOS:

Timeline

do some research. And well I haven't read anywhere you had to be 18 to file. it just says a U.S Citizen. And my opinion is just do research and the both of you have a very LONG talk before you begin the whole process. My fiance and I started dating In June 2010 when i was 18 and he was 21. We just recently filed and I'm 21 and he is 24. I know there is absolutely NO age limit when both of you are in love! and I don't agree with some opinions here that say go to college first. I think the most important thing is that your parents approve the relationship, just make sure you have a cosponsor available just in case your income is not sufficient. It is better to be well prepared then NOT prepared. I just filed my fiances paperwork and it took me a month to do research and fill out all the papers. Also you need evidence that you both have been together for 2 years. If you have your flight ticket from the time you entered his country that is perfect as well as some pictures! I understand you wanting to be back in time to go to college here. I personally am done with my associates this year and am unemployed. We are getting a cosponsor and we will live with my parents once he comes into the US. I am staring online classes in January because I will be traveling to Mexico to stay with him for 6 months until we receive our approval. Just relax and do not take some opinions personally. read the comments and come to a conclusion on your own, do the research and maybe start preparing the paperwork. As soon as you turn 18 SEND the paperwork in. (just to be on the safe side because you don't want an RFE that will delay the process.) If you send the paperwork depending on what office they send it to you will take about 5-7 months. College Classes do not start until END of August. You will MOST likely be here by then. IF you have enough evidence and send it in once you turn 18 just to be on the safe side like I mentioned. You can probably register for classes online and be ready to start the school year here with him. if it takes you 7 months you will have approval by July. A month to get an interview so by the most he will be here by end of August, you can maybe come before and he can come meet you after the interview! If you have ANY questions please let me know. We are all HERE to help one another! :)

you need to read more about the details of her case. She wants her parents to co-sponsor, and her parents are residents of Spain, not the US. She said her parents will support them financially while she goes to school here, it is not that easy. She is also applying through one of THE most difficult consulates as far as denials and fraud goes, it won't be a cakewalk. Couples who have been married for years and have very strong marriages with mountains of evidence get denied, sometimes more than once. The rest of us are being realistic about her odds of being approved at this consulate with what she has to go on.

Timeline

you need to read more about the details of her case. She wants her parents to co-sponsor, and her parents are residents of Spain, not the US. She said her parents will support them financially while she goes to school here, it is not that easy. She is also applying through one of THE most difficult consulates as far as denials and fraud goes, it won't be a cakewalk. Couples who have been married for years and have very strong marriages with mountains of evidence get denied, sometimes more than once. The rest of us are being realistic about her odds of being approved at this consulate with what she has to go on.

Ok I am reading her posts and I did give her advice. I am not telling her to get into the whole process right now am I? to be on the safe side I told her to do the research and look for a place and a Cosponsor here in the United States. Did you not see that in my posts above? I am not going her way she should wait at least until she is 18 finds a cosponsor int eh United States and looks for a job. DID i ever tell her to file right now? NO. I understand she can be denied because of the consulate that is WHY I am telling her to the research and is better to be well prepared than not prepared. I think you are just being a little too rude with her and all the opinions here. I understand that people have gone thru this and are giving her advice and is her choice if she takes it or not, but I nowhere said to FILE right now. I told her to be prepared and DO RESEARCH. But o well I will not argue, I just think you are getting into this case way too much and instead of giving good advice youa re just bringing everything down. Some people here are advising the same thing but in a different way. She is the one that will decide what to do and if she does file right now and makes a mistake that will be on her for not listening to advice and doing some research. EACH case is different and unique.

Edited by aguileralupita30

eJLMm6.png

K1 Visa JourneyI129F

AOS:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

do some research. And well I haven't read anywhere you had to be 18 to file. it just says a U.S Citizen. And my opinion is just do research and the both of you have a very LONG talk before you begin the whole process. My fiance and I started dating In June 2010 when i was 18 and he was 21. We just recently filed and I'm 21 and he is 24. I know there is absolutely NO age limit when both of you are in love! and I don't agree with some opinions here that say go to college first. I think the most important thing is that your parents approve the relationship, just make sure you have a cosponsor available just in case your income is not sufficient. It is better to be well prepared then NOT prepared. I just filed my fiances paperwork and it took me a month to do research and fill out all the papers. Also you need evidence that you both have seen each other int eh past two years. If you have your flight ticket from the time you entered his country that is perfect as well as some pictures! I understand you wanting to be back in time to go to college here. I personally am done with my associates this year and am unemployed. We are getting a cosponsor and we will live with my parents once he comes into the US. I am staring online classes in January because I will be traveling to Mexico to stay with him for 6 months until we receive our approval. Just relax and do not take some opinions personally. read the comments and come to a conclusion on your own, do the research and maybe start preparing the paperwork. As soon as you turn 18 SEND the paperwork in. (just to be on the safe side because you don't want an RFE that will delay the process.) If you send the paperwork depending on what office they send it to you will take about 5-7 months. College Classes do not start until END of August. You will MOST likely be here by then. IF you have enough evidence and send it in once you turn 18 just to be on the safe side like I mentioned. You can probably register for classes online and be ready to start the school year here with him. if it takes you 7 months you will have approval by July. A month to get an interview so by the most he will be here by end of August, you can maybe come before and he can come meet you after the interview! If you have ANY questions please let me know. We are all HERE to help one another! :)

I am as helpful as the next person but the Moroccan consulate is very difficult to get an approval from and I feel it was better not to sugarcoat it and give the plain hard facts. Yes she can do all these things you are saying but she has some red flags that you don't have. Her parents live in Spain and can not co sponsor also she is a minor child living with an adult 7 years her elder. Casablanca looks at everything with a fine tooth comb and she needs to be prepared to fight a long battle!

event.png

event.png

Marriage: 7/12/10
Filed I-130: 9/10/12
NOA1: 9/17/12
Transferred to NBC: 9/19/12
Sent to local office for adjudication: 9/21/12
RFE for Beneficiary BC received 12/13/12
Mail BC in response to RFE 12/17/12
NOA2: 12/20/12
NVC case number assigned: 1/29/13
Sent DS-3032 email: 1/31/13
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 2/1/13
Pay I-864 Bill: 2/5/13
NVC Accepted DS-3032: 2/12/13
Received IV Bill: 2/13/13
Send Completed I-864: 2/16/13
NVC Received I-864 Package: 2/19/13
AOS Package accepted: 2/26/13
Pay IV Bill: 2/28/13
IV Packet Sent: 3/2/13
NVC Received IV Packet: 3/4/13
Case Completed at NVC: 3/13/13
Interview date: 4/30/13

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POE: pending

She never made it clear who lived where, aside from her Mother owns a restaurant in Spain and she has been there almost a year. From the sounds of it, her father is in Washington.

"I've been working with my father and now I'm working with my mother in our restaurant in Spain"

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.