Osita1900

Immigration officers visit

112 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

You got it right it is disgusting, emabarrasing, humiliating, they made me open my kids underwear drawer, closet and I felt so horrible I was so glad they were at school when all this happened, my husband ended up showing them my kids underwear anyhow I will keep you posted as of what happens next

Definitely keep me posted...it is actually so sad too and such a shame...this is the reflection they give: beautiful United States of America that welcomes all people across the world basically stumps into future immigrants house and checks every corner in their house like as if they were committing a crime and hiding a dead body somewhere....it is very upsetting and I wish there was a higher authority who would check this and say, "you guys gotta know where the break is and USE IT". I am very sorry to hear that you went through this...I really do. It is such a shame from their side, and so awful and humiliating for you guys. Terrible! Very terrible! I'll be crossing my fingers for you and your husband too! I want to hear from you saying finally you're approved! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hmmmm. . . curious. I'd be terribly offended. I'm also curious that it seemed your husband could see something like this coming, and that he warned you not not let people come in without him. Was he expecting something? Did they have credentials? I'm shocked they could come to your house and do that!

Sorry it happened, and hope it can be resoved--what an invasion of privacy. . . .

Based on what you've written hear, your story sounds suspicious. I can understand why they are investigating you. It also sounds as if they know something else about you or your husband, that's why they asked your husband to come clean. There must be more to this story.

How old are your 2 kids? Did they travel with you to the states?

I'm not accusing you, just giving my thoughts as you asked.

I agree.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

so after the first interview and waiting for 5 mos without hearing anything you didn't make a follow up on your case: Did u call customer service? info pass?? or service request???

Adjusting from B2,married to my U.S army husband:-)

March 17-married in Las Vegas
June 11-AOS sent
June 13-touched
June 15-NOA1
June 26-Notice for Biometric
June 29-RFE notice(2011 tax)
July 09-Biometric 1:00 pm at Buena Park,CA
July 11-RFE sent
July 12-Notice I-30 transferred from CSC to NBC
July 16-Response Review
July 20-email saying I-30 transferred to USCIS office
Aug 07-recieved email for interview (Sept 10,2012)
Au9 09-interview letter in the mail at Santa Ana@10:30am
Aug 15-EAD card production
Aug 23-EAD card in hand
Sept 10-Interview Day-APPROVED ON THE SPOT..thank You God:-)
Nov 6-After info pass and Service request finally it updated to DECISION.....
Nov 9-Card Production
Nov 15-Green card in hand:-)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Goodness, that's scary!! We just got approved 2 weeks ago and my husband got a job in Florida (with his uncles help) and we got him a flight out the next day. If immigration came to our door, they wouldn't see anything because not much of his stuff is left here, but of course they would also see boxes of stuff packed up. I have also put in my 30 days notice at work and have bought my one way auto train ticket to Florida for December 8th. I just couldn't pack up and leave due to my job, so I am staying behind to finalize things. But that is still a scary thought nonetheless!!

October 10, 2011 - We met in Turks and Caicos Islands
May 26, 2012 - We eloped - Ocean City, MD

Adjustment of Status

August 3, 2012 - Mailed AOS packet to Chicago Lockbox
August 6, 2012 - AOS Packet delivered & signed for at 1:22pm
August 17, 2012 - Received Email/Text Notifications for NOA1 at 12:52am EST
August 24, 2012 - Biometric appt noticed received. Scheduled date 09/10/12 at 3pm in Alexandria, VA
August 27, 2012 - Received Hard Copies NOA1/receipts by mail

August 31, 2012 - Successful early walk in for Biometric Appt in Alexandria, VA
September 13, 2012 - Text notice received for Interview

September 15, 2012 - Received Hard Copy Interview Notice
October 6, 2012 - Text notice EAD Card in Production

October 12, 2012 - Text notice EAD Card mailed
October 15, 2012 - Received EAD/AP Combo by mail
October 16, 2012 - 11am Interview in Baltimore, MD

October 22, 2012 - AOS Approval!!
October 26, 2012 - Green Card mailed
October 30, 2012 - Green Card received!

Removal of Conditions
August 8, 2014 - I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service Center.
August 11, 2014 - Packet delivered and signed for at 2:50pm
August 16, 2014 - NOA1 Received

September 9, 1014 - Biometric Appointment - 2pm - Fort Myers, FL
February 5, 2015 - Case transferred to California Service Center due to move to Texas.
March 30, 2015 - Card Production notice received.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hmmmm. . . curious. I'd be terribly offended. I'm also curious that it seemed your husband could see something like this coming, and that he warned you not not let people come in without him. Was he expecting something? Did they have credentials? I'm shocked they could come to your house and do that!

It does seem odd your husband had a feeling something like this could happen. Seriously - call me first and don't let them in if they show? That's an immediate huger red flag before they even enter.

When they do a home visit of that type they are looking for proof of you living together. You said clothes in the wrong size were there... he had not slept there at least the night before, you didn't file for 3 years, and so on. There are enough odd things you have given us here to see why they would want to see proof with their own eyes. When they got there you have to admit it still did not all look normal. Especially when you wouldn't let them right in.

As for going through underwear - yes I would think is a bit overboard :wacko:

It does seem odd your husband had a feeling something like this could happen. Seriously - call me first and don't let them in if they show? That's an immediate huger red flag before they even enter.

When they do a home visit of that type they are looking for proof of you living together. You said clothes in the wrong size were there... he had not slept there at least the night before, you didn't file for 3 years, and so on. There are enough odd things you have given us here to see why they would want to see proof with their own eyes. When they got there you have to admit it still did not all look normal. Especially when you wouldn't let them right in.

As for going through underwear - yes I would think is a bit overboard :wacko:

You might be right what seems normal to us might have not looked normal to them, when my husband warn me about not letting anybody in at our home, he never refer as to immigration officers (to be honest with you we never had the slightest idea of them showing up at our home)he refer to anybody that could show up that I haven't met before, we were not in a hurry to file documents as he could take care of us financially, and due to his health condition we needed to wait without thinking that along the way his mom would be very ill. I didn't let them in right away I call my husband in front of the officers I had nothing to hide and I told my husband that the officers were standing in front of me and wanted to do a home visit, then one of the officers almost with force took away the phone from my hands and started asking him questions in the porch while I was waiting for them to tell me what to do next, finally they gave me my phone back and my husband told me to let them in and that was all. I also had a lot of boxes aroound the bedroom and closet as I was reorganizing lately one of those projects that you start and never finish so they saw a little bit of chaos around but that was my luck I guess. To be honest with you I feel that no matter what they will always find the odds.

But you are right, most of the couples file their documents right away so it's a pattern I guess and if they see you waited that long Immigration might think people does it for a special reason and they see it as something odd because it's outside of what they are use to see, my husband always told me that he has rights as an American and that nobody can step on them and not to be afraid but as you can see they did whatever they wanted with their home inspection.

Clothes on the wrong size yes, but if they would have wanted to see some of our pictures as my husband offer from years past they could match those clothes easily to the pictures taken while he was slim. I also had clothes in my closet size 18W while I am only a size 10 but they didn't care to ask about them. Anyhow I just hope that my experience helps other ones to be ready in case you get a home visit like the one I got not all the officers are well educated or polite, they are rude and disrespectful.

so after the first interview and waiting for 5 mos without hearing anything you didn't make a follow up on your case: Did u call customer service? info pass?? or service request???

No, we didn't,my husband was reading different blogs online and htey say that you have to wait at least 6 months so we were waiting for it before we started inquiring, can you show me how to check online.

We hired a lawyer since the home visit but all he tells us is that we have to wait, he sent them a lot of evidence, also asked them 4 weeks ago and according to him they don't care to reply, he is waiting for a 6 week mark before he asks again.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

No, we didn't,my husband was reading different blogs online and htey say that you have to wait at least 6 months so we were waiting for it before we started inquiring, can you show me how to check online.

We hired a lawyer since the home visit but all he tells us is that we have to wait, he sent them a lot of evidence, also asked them 4 weeks ago and according to him they don't care to reply, he is waiting for a 6 week mark before he asks again.

Here's the link you can sign up for updates of your case..

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/Dashboard/CaseStatus.do

what happened to us is we had interview last Sept 10 we got approval on the spot IO handed me approval letter then from then I haven't hear anything..so I made info pass then last week I made Service request and yesterday I got status update that my GC is approved...Even in the approval letter stated that we have to wait 90 days before any inquiry i made called them in 30 days and close to 60 days....me and my husband had previous marriages too....

Adjusting from B2,married to my U.S army husband:-)

March 17-married in Las Vegas
June 11-AOS sent
June 13-touched
June 15-NOA1
June 26-Notice for Biometric
June 29-RFE notice(2011 tax)
July 09-Biometric 1:00 pm at Buena Park,CA
July 11-RFE sent
July 12-Notice I-30 transferred from CSC to NBC
July 16-Response Review
July 20-email saying I-30 transferred to USCIS office
Aug 07-recieved email for interview (Sept 10,2012)
Au9 09-interview letter in the mail at Santa Ana@10:30am
Aug 15-EAD card production
Aug 23-EAD card in hand
Sept 10-Interview Day-APPROVED ON THE SPOT..thank You God:-)
Nov 6-After info pass and Service request finally it updated to DECISION.....
Nov 9-Card Production
Nov 15-Green card in hand:-)

First interview went very smooth (together my husband and myself), second one was a nightmare for my husband who was interviewed for 4 hours and then me for probably 30 min.

When they arrived home I didn't let them in as my husband told me if somebody ever shows up at home to call him first,

I believe your answer lies here. What was the context of your husband's 4 hour interview? Most husbands I know do not specifically tell their wives "if someone ever shows up at home, don't let them in until you call me first". Everyone knows not to let strangers in their house. It sounds as if your husband was expecting unwanted company.

Also, why did you have size 18W clothing in your closet when you are a size 10?

Although all of these circumstantial things you have written may seem normal to you, they certainly don't to me as an outsider looking in.

Four hours, is an EXTREMELY long time for an interview.

If one question and one answer take one minute, that makes me think 240 questions and answers would be close. Being an auditor myself, I cannot comprehend any single case calling for such measures. Something is not adding up to me....

Met Tita 2004-10-31

I-129F Sent 2006-03-22 - Tita Arrives 2007-03-14 (360 days total)

Civil Marriage 2007-03-23

Catholic Ceremony in Philippines January 2011

Applied for Citizenship May 02, 2012

Citizenship Oath Election Day November 6, 2012

Hoping to retire in Philippines 2022

Glory to God in all things for his Timeline is always perfect

I believe your answer lies here. What was the context of your husband's 4 hour interview? Most husbands I know do not specifically tell their wives "if someone ever shows up at home, don't let them in until you call me first". Everyone knows not to let strangers in their house. It sounds as if your husband was expecting unwanted company.

Also, why did you have size 18W clothing in your closet when you are a size 10?

Although all of these circumstantial things you have written may seem normal to you, they certainly don't to me as an outsider looking in.

When my husband told me about not to let anybody in he was referring to collections people as he had some outstanding debts that he had since before I met him. Size 18w because of my mom I bought beautiful dresses for her and they are hanging in my closet but the IO'S never asked about them neither pay attention to them. You are right about things that might not look normal to an outsider like you, also about that 4 hour interview for my husband so that tells me that they might have not liked what they found on his profile I guess, he is an honest person, no problems with the law at all, he is a very lay back person, his major problems are his past debts and I am aware of that and becasue of pride he didn't want to file bankruptcy and have a new start but other than that he is like every american I guess.

I have to agree with you 4 hours it's a lot the waiting room was full when we arrived and by the time the officer finish interviewing my husband I was the only person left on the waiting room and when he interviewed me he took no more htan 30 min.

Thanks for your time

Four hours, is an EXTREMELY long time for an interview.

If one question and one answer take one minute, that makes me think 240 questions and answers would be close. Being an auditor myself, I cannot comprehend any single case calling for such measures. Something is not adding up to me....

The officer didn't have keyboarding skills, he would only type with 2 fingers and after he was done entering every asnwer he would read it to my husband.

When my husband told me about not to let anybody in he was referring to collections people as he had some outstanding debts that he had since before I met him. Size 18w because of my mom I bought beautiful dresses for her and they are hanging in my closet but the IO'S never asked about them neither pay attention to them. You are right about things that might not look normal to an outsider like you, also about that 4 hour interview for my husband so that tells me that they might have not liked what they found on his profile I guess, he is an honest person, no problems with the law at all, he is a very lay back person, his major problems are his past debts and I am aware of that and becasue of pride he didn't want to file bankruptcy and have a new start but other than that he is like every american I guess.

I have to agree with you 4 hours it's a lot the waiting room was full when we arrived and by the time the officer finish interviewing my husband I was the only person left on the waiting room and when he interviewed me he took no more htan 30 min.

Thanks for your time

I don't know of any legitimate bill collectors that make house calls, everything is done by mail or internet. Who does your husband have all of this debt with?

Dresses were for your Mom, so she is in the states also?

4 hours for an interview with an officer with no fingers is a long time, let alone one that types with two. I type with two fingers, so I know how that goes, I'm fairly quick.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.