Mike K D

I find myself in AP, as a UK born, White male.

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As the topic title might suggest, I find myself having been put into AP, despite being a british born, white male, with no criminal history, and thus far a perfect case of filing. Everything went through in a timely manner, despite having to restart the process due to a silly mistake. But 14 months after beginning this process I was given my interview at the US Embassy London, having been given only a days notice! I received my interview letter on the 11th of October, to be at the Embassy for 8am on the 12th! This was very doable, as I don't live far. The interview went very smoothly and the CO took my passport, notified me that I was approved and to pay the courier, 3-5 days, etc etc...

All of this went smoothly, and a week to the day after having been approved, I called DOS only to find that I had been put into AP. I have dredged my thoughts for a a reason, and know that the issue cannot be with myself. I was employed by a british police service for the past three years, and am an entirely clean and honest beneficiary in this process. My fiancee has never been in trouble with the law, and she too has no reason to flag any of the systems. Neither of us has a middle eastern or asian sounding name, however I do have a very LONG name, with three middle names. The only issue I can see being and issue, is that my father has a historic police record for drugs related offences, and if they were to have run his name through the database following viewing of my birth certificate [They already had his full details from several previous forms...], that this might has spurred the red flags to spring.

As I say, we've been going through this process for 14 months now, and the relief at hearing we had at long last been approved was indescribable. To have that snatched away, and to be launched into the swirling purgatory of AP has knocked both of us for six, and left us feeling downcast. We were looking forward to Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas together, albeit closely missing her birthday. "But that was alright!" we thought, naively. "I'll be home soon!".

This is not the case. If anyone can shed any light on the situation, it would be greatly appreciated, as I have seen reports of AP spanning a week through 5 years. That is a timeframe thats hard to cope with. Having not found anyone on here yet in this same situation, I am stuck for answers, which I know are few and far between in the matter of AP.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Mike

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Being from the UK it is unlikely that you will be in AP for 5 years.

It may be that you have a similar name or same name as someone and they are doing additional background checks to verify. AP, although not totally common, does happen in the US, have you posted this in the regional forum?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

First off, it's only been 5 working days and others have taken 10. The words "administrative process" at DOS can mean shuffling papers, printing the visa, efc. ..just normal processing. If your dad's record is being investigated, hopefully it's all UK based so shouldn't take much time. It's when info must come from other countries that it slows down. So put your grief on hold for a week and see what happens. It might not be nearly as bad as it seems. I only know of one white Brit that went months with no clue as to what could have triggered the wait. The VJ name was Treehugger and she dropped out so we never heard how long it took or if she got her visa.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Hope it's cleared for you very quickly, and only a matter of processing. (F)

K-1
03/09/12 - NoA1
10/04/12 - NoA2 (210 days)

AoS

01/25/13 - NoA1
08/15/13 - NoA2 (199 days)

RoC
05/21/15 - NoA1

11/02/15 - NoA2 (164 days)

N-400

08/18/16 - NoA1
03/14/17 - Interview

03/16/17 - Oath Ceremony (217 days)

US citizen

Total time start to finish: 5 years, 12 days (1,838 days)

Timeline

Thank you for the replies on this one folks! It really does make a difference to know that yes, I will miss the flight we overenthusiastically booked before having visa in hand... But that in all, the chances of this becoming a serious and extended issue, are statistically minimal. For any who are interested, we called DoS again today, with no movement on the status of the visa. However, the operator assured us that Administrative Processing can genuinely sometimes be just that, and isn't always the black hole it can come across as! Holding on to faith here and putting a smile on!

It'll give me a little while longer to do my goodbyes, too!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Keep the faith, si man. It could simply be that they're checking all combinations of your names.

Your elegant British English is a pleasure to read, and you know how to turn a phrase. I'm especially struck by "launched into the swirling purgatory of AP." Such expressive literacy is refreshing to encounter on VJ, and if you're not an author, you should be, si man. :thumbs:

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

You know what? That really could have something to it. The name combination matter had never struck me, but makes perfect sense on second thought. My Fiancee also had a consultation with an immigration lawyer, who said that it may be down to the fact that we had filed before but were denied [as we didn't follow instructions properly, and sent NO evidence with the original form. That was a hell of a way to burn $360]. This could lead to duplicates on their systems, and a bit of clear up.

As for my writing, thank you! I dabble here and there with it, and would love to one day write professionally. However, for the time being, I do it for the love of the act. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

It only goes to show that our American cousins aren't racist and don't just investigate those nasty foreign colored chaps!

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Timeline

For all who care at all, our AP got cleared today after two weeks. Beyond elated! Many thanks to you all for your support and clear, objective advice. It helped more than you could know.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

For all who care at all, our AP got cleared today after two weeks. Beyond elated! Many thanks to you all for your support and clear, objective advice. It helped more than you could know.

Congrats to you, UK born, white male! :dance:

===========================

2008-08-16 Sent N-400

2008-08-18 Application Received

2008-08-19 Check Cashed

2008-09-18 Biometrics

2008-12-09 Interview

2009-01-XX Oath (Yay! I'm a citizen)

==========================

07/19 - NOA2 approval

08/20 - Case received at NVC

08/23 - emailed DS-3022

08/25 - mailed AOS

08/27 - received AOS

08/31 - AOS Accepted

09/04 - Received confirmation of DS-3022

09/05 - Received IV invoice

09/05 - Pay IV bill

09/06 - IV showed as paid

09/06 - Send DS-230 packet

09/10 - Received DS-230 packet by NVC

09/17 - DS-230 Accepted/Case Complete

09/28 - Transfer to Manila Embassy

10/02 - Medical Exam at St. Luke's

10/08- 10/10 - Sputum Test

10/09 - Received by Manila Embassy

10/12 - Result of Sputum Test (Need to repeat)

10/16-10/18 - Repeat Sputum Test (Negative)

12/13 - Sputum Final Result (Negative)

12/21 - Interview at Embassy (Approved)

12/28 - Visa Picked Up from 2GO

12/28 - CFO

12/30 - POE (LAX)

Congratulations!!

K-1
03/09/12 - NoA1
10/04/12 - NoA2 (210 days)

AoS

01/25/13 - NoA1
08/15/13 - NoA2 (199 days)

RoC
05/21/15 - NoA1

11/02/15 - NoA2 (164 days)

N-400

08/18/16 - NoA1
03/14/17 - Interview

03/16/17 - Oath Ceremony (217 days)

US citizen

Total time start to finish: 5 years, 12 days (1,838 days)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

As the topic title might suggest, I find myself having been put into AP, despite being a british born, white male, with no criminal history, and thus far a perfect case of filing. Everything went through in a timely manner, despite having to restart the process due to a silly mistake. But 14 months after beginning this process I was given my interview at the US Embassy London, having been given only a days notice! I received my interview letter on the 11th of October, to be at the Embassy for 8am on the 12th! This was very doable, as I don't live far. The interview went very smoothly and the CO took my passport, notified me that I was approved and to pay the courier, 3-5 days, etc etc...

All of this went smoothly, and a week to the day after having been approved, I called DOS only to find that I had been put into AP. I have dredged my thoughts for a a reason, and know that the issue cannot be with myself. I was employed by a british police service for the past three years, and am an entirely clean and honest beneficiary in this process. My fiancee has never been in trouble with the law, and she too has no reason to flag any of the systems. Neither of us has a middle eastern or asian sounding name, however I do have a very LONG name, with three middle names. The only issue I can see being and issue, is that my father has a historic police record for drugs related offences, and if they were to have run his name through the database following viewing of my birth certificate [They already had his full details from several previous forms...], that this might has spurred the red flags to spring.

As I say, we've been going through this process for 14 months now, and the relief at hearing we had at long last been approved was indescribable. To have that snatched away, and to be launched into the swirling purgatory of AP has knocked both of us for six, and left us feeling downcast. We were looking forward to Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas together, albeit closely missing her birthday. "But that was alright!" we thought, naively. "I'll be home soon!".

This is not the case. If anyone can shed any light on the situation, it would be greatly appreciated, as I have seen reports of AP spanning a week through 5 years. That is a timeframe thats hard to cope with. Having not found anyone on here yet in this same situation, I am stuck for answers, which I know are few and far between in the matter of AP.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Mike

Congrats! Everyone regardless of what consulate goes through AP.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

The title and topic is witten by someone who doesn't understand what AP is.

Being white as you say and a male doesn't exclude you from security checks. Security check could be made because your name may have hit up against a security. Maybe your own country have you flagged.

Timeline
The title and topic is witten by someone who doesn't understand what AP is.

Being white as you say and a male doesn't exclude you from security checks. Security check could be made because your name may have hit up against a security. Maybe your own country have you flagged.

Just to clarify; I wasn't saying that my gender, ethnicity or country of birth SHOULD have anything to do with whether or not I went into AP, but, unfortunately I know that it actually does. I was posting here in an attempt to understand or at least narrow down the possibilities as to why I would have been placed into AP. I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone with this, but it wasn't ever my intention.

As for my understanding of AP, you are correct, I didn't fully understand this part of the process, hence my posting here at VJ. I've seen just how valuable a tool this website can be, and was simply asking for help with further understanding my situation. Again, no offence, or presumption of knowledge was ever intended.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.