lilsweetie

Building credit rating?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

How do you build credit once you are a Permanent Resident?

I know you can't carry your credit over from another country, so how do you begin building credit when you have none and places don't give credit when you don't have a rating to begin with?

So frustrating

CR1 / CR2 Visa:

(Day 1) 12/16/11: I-130 Application sent

(Day 283) 09/24/12: Interview at US Consulate – Approved!

(Day 287) 09/28/12: Visa Received & Immediately entered US using Visa

(Day 290) 10/01/12: Social Security Card sent automatically

Removal of Conditions CR1 / CR2
(Day 1) 07/28/14: Application sent.
(Day 135) 12/10/14: ROC Approved!
(Day 143) 12/18/14: 10 year GC received (IR1 / IR2)

Naturalization:
(Day 1) 06/30/15: Application sent.
(Day 210) 01/26/16: Interview and Oath Ceremony. DONE!

***Son and I became US Citizens 01/26/16***

(Day 1) 01/27/16: Applied for my U.S. Passport
(Day 14) 02/10/16: Passport Book & Cert of Naturalization received

(Day 1) 03/16/16: Applied for U.S. Passport for son

(Day 22) 04/07/16: Passport book and original docs received...(Card rec'd 04/16/16)

N-600 for child age 9
(Day 1) 01/27/16: Application sent

(Day 12) 02/08/16: NOA received

(Day 23) 02/19/16: Case received at local office

(Day 88) 04/23/16: In line for oath scheduling *Called USCIS to inquire about why there is an oath required for a child under 14. They sent a service request to the field office.

(Day 95) 04/30/16: Received letter from field office to say no oath necessary and that they would mail the certificate.
(Day 106) 05/11/16: Cert of Citizenship received by registered mail (they never sent tracking. case status was never updated either)

You can have your husband/wife add you to their credit card, open a new one together or co-sign a loan for you (for a car for example),

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Some people, like me, have husbands/spouses who don't believe in credit cards so there was no "piggy backing" for me.

I started with a secured card with Capital One. Cost me $49 for a $200 limit. After a couple of months my score was up in the low 700's. A year later i'm about to close it (because of the annual fee) because I now have an unsecured card with Wells Fargo, and my score is in the high 700's (even after that hit).

You need several "lines" of credit to do real well so I'm planning (in a couple of months after the hit from getting the new card goes up again) about talking to my bank about getting a "line of credit" through them. If that doesn't work I'm going to get a small loan and pay that back.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This seems like a blessing for me... I came into a bad situation a few years ago losing my job that caused me to get behind on bills and get a car repoed... My credit is pretty crappy... I'm guessing my husbands will be like a clean slate :devil:

Dept store credit cards are the easiest to get so they are most recommended for starting credit.

Edited by KDubovik

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

My husband has had a great credit score but I wanted to build my credit score on my own, without his help. I applied for a credit card with Capital One. They offer a credit card for those new to the US: Capital One Cash Rewards for Newcomers Credit Card. It is an unsecured credit card. I was approved and given $500 limit. A couple months later I received an offer for a credit card from the bank that my husband does business with (my name wasn't on his credit card though), applied and was approved and given $500 limit. After a few months of paying my bills on time my credit score was in low 700's and Capital One raised my credit limit to $750. I know the idea of building a credit score from the bottom seems frustrating but it was very easy for me and I suggest you try Capital One like I did.

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Timeline

My husband has had a great credit score but I wanted to build my credit score on my own, without his help. I applied for a credit card with Capital One. They offer a credit card for those new to the US: Capital One Cash Rewards for Newcomers Credit Card. It is an unsecured credit card. I was approved and given $500 limit. A couple months later I received an offer for a credit card from the bank that my husband does business with (my name wasn't on his credit card though), applied and was approved and given $500 limit. After a few months of paying my bills on time my credit score was in low 700's and Capital One raised my credit limit to $750. I know the idea of building a credit score from the bottom seems frustrating but it was very easy for me and I suggest you try Capital One like I did.

You had to have already had some sort of credit (history) to get the unsecured card. I know people who have been denied the SECURED card and they have no credit either. :S Did you check your history before applying? I had "nothing could be found" reports.

Timeline

Dept store credit cards are the easiest to get so they are most recommended for starting credit.

Really? I haven't read this anywhere. In fact some store cards are extremely hard to get. There are some cards they recommend in addition to your credit card (Walmart etc) but Kohl's card are pretty hard to get with 0 credit history.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Yep, I checked it and there was absolutely nothing on my credit report. No credit history. I was surprised that they gave me $500 limit but the card is intended for newcomers with no credit history so it makes sense, I guess. My friend who had no credit history either applied for a CC with Capital One also and was given $300 limit unsecured card (but she applied for a different card).

Edited by missicy

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I added my wife as a joint owner in my credit card instead of an authorized user.

My husband applied for a new credit card and was approved without a problem since his score is good. He said he put me as an authorized user and the CC company is sending me a card as well.

Now I have one question. My husband didn't provide the CC company with my social security number or any identification. Can my credit score still be build in this situation? Sorry, but I have no idea.

Married May 2011

10/07/2011: NOA1

12/15/2011: NOA2

01/12/2012: NVC case number arrived

01/13/2012: DS-3032 emailed

01/27/2012: Barcode arrived via e-mail

03/06/2012: I-864&DS-230 sent together

03/13/2012: RFE

04/16/2012: Additional documents sent

05/02/2012: NVC case complete

05/14/2012: Medical

06/04/2012: Interview--->approved

06/05/2012: Visa arrived in mail

LAX POE Review

Timeline

Really? I haven't read this anywhere. In fact some store cards are extremely hard to get. There are some cards they recommend in addition to your credit card (Walmart etc) but Kohl's card are pretty hard to get with 0 credit history.

I've had a kohls card since I was like 19.

Of course they sort of took it away when I couldn't pay it anymore :whistle:

That one seems to be the card that just won't freaking pay off :angry:

I can remember the first credit card I had, I didn't even remember applying for.

But given I was 18 and wanted something to build credit with, I kept it and paid it off regularly.

It was a capital one card for $500. Had fruit loops on it too... I think that made it the best CC I ever had

oldlady.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

My husband applied for a new credit card and was approved without a problem since his score is good. He said he put me as an authorized user and the CC company is sending me a card as well.

Now I have one question. My husband didn't provide the CC company with my social security number or any identification. Can my credit score still be build in this situation? Sorry, but I have no idea.

It's a possible to build your credit as an authorized user, but you will need to get a credit report to confirm this. I added my wife as a joint owner just to be sure she benefitted from my excellent credit history.

Timeline

An authorized user will not build credit, only a joint owner will.

I had this situation when I was 19 and found my mother's 8k dollar CC on my credit report.

We had to call that and they explained they accidentally added me as a join owner instead of a user.

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.