nprmass

Complicated K-1 situation

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm so sorry to hear that so many men and women are going through similar sadness and deception as I am.....I know how I feel and it isnt easy t all......So guys/girls hang in there...................... I figured I would post my situation to let people know they are not alone going through this. Here's my story ------ My fiancee (from Brazil) entered country in August2011, we got married in September 19th 2011.....As you know an adjustment status with USCIS and wedding registration with her country's consulate befor its official...green card...bla bla.........Mind you there had been a lot of huddles to even get her here.....Well, soon after wedding....she told me she wanted us both to go to Brazil .....which I really couldnt afford.....plus....legally he couldn leave US yet....but...She really wanted to go because supposedly her mom had gotten very sick.....So I managed to get her a ticket and was left with the promise we would soon make things right and she would return....She left mid November2011.......Well...It was moms illness, then Christmas, then NewYears...then someones birthday....time going by....and I ran out of things to say.....so one day in April she says...she enrolled in college for a semester....which I criticized a lot because I was misarable without her.....So then Mid June2012 she tells me she got diagnosed with a medical problem that required surgery .....so after getting prices from her mother over phone....I sold a vehicle, picked up a second job........and saved the required money.....When I then contacted her in Late August2012....with pride and love......"I got it"...."together we will get through this"....she tells me needed some time.....to decide what to do with her life........Officially we are married in US.....However, to brazil standards....I have been told it needed to be registered before she left..........Also....we never filed for her I-485 so she isnt legal to return.......So Im not sure what to do.....I loved her with all my heart and really didnt see this coming....Im surprised and very heartbroken.......but above all...Im confused as how someone will say.....Loveyou cant wait to come back....to....Want live my life here.....So after this long post.........I hope some of you feel some comfort in knowing there's others out here going through similar things........Pain is unberable....But there's always hope for a better tomorrow..........With that said....If anyone out there, reads my story and has any advice about what to do.....please let me know.

It really sounds like you are going through a very difficult time. I am trying to make sense of your post as it is hard to understand because of the way you typed it out. It sounds like your wife does not want to come back to the US? You have to have a conversation with her to find out why this is happening and what she wants out of this. Hopefully she will be honest with you and explain her feelings. You may or may not like to answers you receive from her.

Continue from there, because you may not be legally married in Brazil BUT you are in the US. Contact a lawyer to discuss your options.

Good luck to you and hope this works out for the best.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hold up a second. You're paying for her expenses while she is living in her home country?

The situation is not complecated. She can't go back to the US. HOwever, if the left within 90 days of her arrival(before i94 ecpired) she won't have an overstay. You can file the I130 which is the spousal route but only if she wants to reside in the US, she has to go through the process in her home country. But please hold yer horses and figure out if she's interested in reuniting or if the bank account is what matters more to her. I don't want to sound harsh and I'm not trying to beat you when you're already down. I am truly sorry about your situation. However, you also have to look at it from the perspective of being a married couple and having been in pain for about a year since she left.

Another thing though - if you have the marriage certificate, then the marriage is as legal as it gets. USCIS accepts the document as proof of being married so she was eligible for a greencard but you are already married and it's already official.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

Its pretty straight foward, she came here and hated it and went back home. Good for her. However, you continue to support her and fall for all these stories I mean come on man! If your wife has medical condition that require you selling your vehicle and getting a second job it sounds serious enough to me for you to be by her side??? Not to criticize you dude but plz wake up sooner rather than later.

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Agree with the others. Not sure what advice you want, but immigration wise - you'd have to start the entire process over by getting a spousal visa if she ever wants to return. Doesn't sound likely though.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm really sorry for what you are going through. I am not sure what advice or support you are trying to gain but it seems that your wife didn't like it in the US, has no desire to be in the US with you and is using you for financial support :(

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It sounds like she very quickly found out that life in the US was not the bed of roses she expected it to be, so she hightailed it back home... she may have intended it just to be a short trip, but one thing leads to another... I'm sorry it didn't work out, but I don't think she intended to defraud you - most people who do that string you along until they get their greencard and she didn't even wait to adjust status. You obviously love her, so have you ever been down there to see her in person and try to talk things out? It may be America that didn't work out - or maybe real married life wasn't the fantasy she was hoping for.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

File for a divorce and move on. Don't waste any more time thinking about this.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

I'm so sorry to hear that so many men and women are going through similar sadness and deception as I am.....I know how I feel and it isnt easy t all......So guys/girls hang in there...................... I figured I would post my situation to let people know they are not alone going through this. Here's my story ------ My fiancee (from Brazil) entered country in August2011, we got married in September 19th 2011.....As you know an adjustment status with USCIS and wedding registration with her country's consulate befor its official...green card...bla bla.........Mind you there had been a lot of huddles to even get her here.....Well, soon after wedding....she told me she wanted us both to go to Brazil .....which I really couldnt afford.....plus....legally he couldn leave US yet....but...She really wanted to go because supposedly her mom had gotten very sick.....So I managed to get her a ticket and was left with the promise we would soon make things right and she would return....She left mid November2011.......Well...It was moms illness, then Christmas, then NewYears...then someones birthday....time going by....and I ran out of things to say.....so one day in April she says...she enrolled in college for a semester....which I criticized a lot because I was misarable without her.....So then Mid June2012 she tells me she got diagnosed with a medical problem that required surgery .....so after getting prices from her mother over phone....I sold a vehicle, picked up a second job........and saved the required money.....When I then contacted her in Late August2012....with pride and love......"I got it"...."together we will get through this"....she tells me needed some time.....to decide what to do with her life........Officially we are married in US.....However, to brazil standards....I have been told it needed to be registered before she left..........Also....we never filed for her I-485 so she isnt legal to return.......So Im not sure what to do.....I loved her with all my heart and really didnt see this coming....Im surprised and very heartbroken.......but above all...Im confused as how someone will say.....Loveyou cant wait to come back....to....Want live my life here.....So after this long post.........I hope some of you feel some comfort in knowing there's others out here going through similar things........Pain is unberable....But there's always hope for a better tomorrow..........With that said....If anyone out there, reads my story and has any advice about what to do.....please let me know.

I'm sorry that this happened to you, here is my opinion:

You need to look at getting a divorce from this woman. I hate to be the one to say it but the ones claiming fraud are on the money. It looks like you are having doubts about her intentions, let me break it down for you;

1. She really wanted to go because supposedly her mom had gotten very sick.....So I managed to get her a ticket and was left with the promise we would soon make things right and she would return This statement tells me you didn't really believe her Mom got sick, but you went with it because you want to trust her, not saying that people don't get sick, but I got the feeling that your gut was telling you otherwise.

2. She left mid November2011then Christmas, then NewYears...then someones birthday....time going by....and I ran out of things to say.....so one day in April she says...she enrolled in college for a semester It's been almost a year, and your wife has come up with too many excuses to stay in her country, you get married to be together, not stay apart. Plus she enrolled in school without even talking to you about it first, total lack of respect.

3. So then Mid June2012 she tells me she got diagnosed with a medical problem that required surgery .....so after getting prices from her mother over phone....I sold a vehicle, picked up a second job........and saved the required money Something tells me you didn't see an offical doctor's note, and after the Mom was sick I would have been uneasy on this one. I would give my heart to save my wife in any case, but there were too many red flags before this happened. You did what you thought was right, so no one can fault you on that one.

In closing, if she wanted to live at home she could have married a local, instead she married you in a different country. I know you invested alot in this marriage, but if I were you, I'd cut my losses, stop all contact and get divorced ASAP. There is nothing left to talk about, and if you keep trying to save it, she will keep using you. Hate to sound harsh, but you deserve better than that.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm sorry that this happened to you, here is my opinion:

You need to look at getting a divorce from this woman. I hate to be the one to say it but the ones claiming fraud are on the money. It looks like you are having doubts about her intentions, let me break it down for you;

1. She really wanted to go because supposedly her mom had gotten very sick.....So I managed to get her a ticket and was left with the promise we would soon make things right and she would return This statement tells me you didn't really believe her Mom got sick, but you went with it because you want to trust her, not saying that people don't get sick, but I got the feeling that your gut was telling you otherwise.

2. She left mid November2011then Christmas, then NewYears...then someones birthday....time going by....and I ran out of things to say.....so one day in April she says...she enrolled in college for a semester It's been almost a year, and your wife has come up with too many excuses to stay in her country, you get married to be together, not stay apart. Plus she enrolled in school without even talking to you about it first, total lack of respect.

3. So then Mid June2012 she tells me she got diagnosed with a medical problem that required surgery .....so after getting prices from her mother over phone....I sold a vehicle, picked up a second job........and saved the required money Something tells me you didn't see an offical doctor's note, and after the Mom was sick I would have been uneasy on this one. I would give my heart to save my wife in any case, but there were too many red flags before this happened. You did what you thought was right, so no one can fault you on that one.

In closing, if she wanted to live at home she could have married a local, instead she married you in a different country. I know you invested alot in this marriage, but if I were you, I'd cut my losses, stop all contact and get divorced ASAP. There is nothing left to talk about, and if you keep trying to save it, she will keep using you. Hate to sound harsh, but you deserve better than that.

I'd say the 3 points above pretty much sums it up from the information provided.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

She could of came here realized you may not be the one for her and wanted to go home without hurting your feelings, so made up a story to go home. She may just not know how to be straight forward and tell you, after a year of excuses she may have thought you would take a hint.

She could of came here realized you may not be the one for her and wanted to go home without hurting your feelings, so made up a story to go home. She may just not know how to be straight forward and tell you, after a year of excuses she may have thought you would take a hint.

Possible, but not plausible. Reason being, she is still asking for money. Plus once she got over to her country, she could have easily dissapeared if she wanted to get out of the marriage, since by her account, it's not registred in Brazil. She could have broken it down for him over the phone and there would be nothing he could do but accept it and move on, yet he is paying her medical bill, and she is telling him she still loves him. By doing it this way, she keeps him in a constant state of confusion/anticipation, he wants to hold on, but her actions say otherwise, so she says she still wants to be with him so the love/money keeps flowing.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.