Sahs

Proof or Relationship & Meeting - Validity of GR Divorce Decree

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

1) After reviewing a thread on the subject quite a bit, I have to admit I'm a little concerned about receiving an RFE due to the lack of evidence supporting our relationship over the past two years and the proof of us meeting face to face within the time we met; lived together and the two weeks that we spent in the Philippines together to meet her family. All our utility bills, lease agreements and etc were all under my name alone.We have tons of pictures together, but it's 2012 and none have the date stamped on the pics as this option is not so readily available on digital cameras anymore (I actually posted something on that last one a few days ago)...

One thing we did do, prior submitting our I-129F, was to take a photograph together holding up a magazine with a date clearly seen on the photograph in the house we lived it in Europe. This was advise we received from our Lawyer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be irrefutable evidence of us meeting within the last three years (The smoking gun)??? Furthermore, we submitted the invoice of our flights to and from the Philippines, the receipt from the Hotel whilst in the Philippine, a receipt for a watch that I bought her for Christmas, copies of our passport stamps showing that we traveled together on the same dates, and affidavits from a have dozen friends (including one from an American that has been dating her cousin for ten years who was in the Philippines when we were there).

2) I also have a divorce decree that was issued in the Greek language, but I had it officially translated and apostilled before sending to the USCIS... I imagine that should enough to prove the validity of the divorce?

We are praying that the above will be enough for us to get an approval as we're in time timeframe now to start hoping for an answer.

We appreciate any experienced advise on the matters above... :help:

One thing we did do, prior submitting our I-129F, was to take a photograph together holding up a magazine with a date clearly seen on the photograph in the house we lived it in Europe. This was advise we received from our Lawyer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be irrefutable evidence of us meeting within the last three years (The smoking gun)??? Furthermore, we submitted the invoice of our flights to and from the Philippines, the receipt from the Hotel whilst in the Philippine, a receipt for a watch that I bought her for Christmas, copies of our passport stamps showing that we traveled together on the same dates, and affidavits from a have dozen friends (including one from an American that has been dating her cousin for ten years who was in the Philippines when we were there).

The magazine is by no means "irrefutable" evidence but the other types of evidence you included are sufficient. Passport stamps, flight invoices, receipts, etc ... that's what they want to see. Photos are secondary, but even if they don't have the date on them, I'd include them anyway. My photos had no dates but I simply wrote them on the back.

The translated divorce decree is enough, yes.

Edited by Evylin

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

1) After reviewing a thread on the subject quite a bit, I have to admit I'm a little concerned about receiving an RFE due to the lack of evidence supporting our relationship over the past two years and the proof of us meeting face to face within the time we met; lived together and the two weeks that we spent in the Philippines together to meet her family. All our utility bills, lease agreements and etc were all under my name alone.We have tons of pictures together, but it's 2012 and none have the date stamped on the pics as this option is not so readily available on digital cameras anymore (I actually posted something on that last one a few days ago)...

2) I also have a divorce decree that was issued in the Greek language, but I had it officially translated and apostilled before sending to the USCIS... I imagine that should enough to prove the validity of the divorce?

We are praying that the above will be enough for us to get an approval as we're in time timeframe now to start hoping for an answer.

We appreciate any experienced advise on the matters above... :help:

You have to provide evidence of meeting face to face between July 2010- July 2012. It is meeting within the past two years which is the requirement. This is different than when you met and began to establish a relationship. If you did not provide information on question #18, then it is possible to receive an RFE.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

The magazine is certainly irrefutable evidence that they have met in person within the past two years.

The other things mentioned can go towards proving a bona fide relationship, but the magazine will solely qualify the meeting in person requirement.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

The magazine is by no means "irrefutable" evidence but the other types of evidence you included are sufficient. Passport stamps, flight invoices, receipts, etc ... that's what they want to see. Photos are secondary, but even if they don't have the date on them, I'd include them anyway. My photos had no dates but I simply wrote them on the back.

The translated divorce decree is enough, yes.

Thanks for that, Evylin! I hope to have some good news sometime soon for you all.

Timeline

You have to provide evidence of meeting face to face between July 2010- July 2012. It is meeting within the past two years which is the requirement. This is different than when you met and began to establish a relationship. If you did not provide information on question #18, then it is possible to receive an RFE.

Hi Pinkrlion,

Can you elaborate on providing information on question #18, please?

We met in March 2011, dated for six months then lived together until we filed the petition. In March 2012 we went to the Philippines together for two weeks and this month I'll be joining her there for another two weeks.

Thanks for your input. :thumbs:

Rgds,

Sahs

Timeline

The magazine is certainly irrefutable evidence that they have met in person within the past two years.

The other things mentioned can go towards proving a bona fide relationship, but the magazine will solely qualify the meeting in person requirement.

Thank you Hypnos,

During the first stage of the 1-129F reviewal by the USCIS, isn't that all they need to establish; that the two have met in person within the last two years?

Rgds

Sahs

Perhaps. I have read of people enclosing nothing but the I-129F and getting approved (although rarely) and people enclosing large amounts of documentation and still being RFE'd. It just seems to be whatever IO you get on a particular day and how professional they are.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

No it won't. A photo is considered secondary evidence (date or not). They want to see passport stamps, ticket stubs etc which are primary evidence, and which the OP included which is great.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

The bolded stuff is more than sufficient. The magazine, not so much, it's still just a photo, but the other stuff, great.

Yep should be fine.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Timeline

No worries guys, I pray that we receive our NOA2 instead of a RFE and that we receive it this month. I know it's a dream at this stage, but it would be so very nice to have her and our little man here for Christmas this year. I'll keep you all posted and GOD speed with your efforts as well.

:thumbs:

I can order any magazine from anywhere, any month, and then take a picture with it ?????? USCIS IMO will think the same thing....

Timeline

I can order any magazine from anywhere, any month, and then take a picture with it ?????? USCIS IMO will think the same thing....

You can also make up a fake cover, fake dates, doctor photos (green screen anyone?) etc etc. That's what it's secondary evidence, the passport stamps alone are enough. The magazine is useless, honestly. Had they sent just that alone I'm pretty confident they would get an RFE For it.

I had an RFE for the same reason. They specifically stated in the RFE that photographs are secondary supportive evidence only and without primary evidence, such as passport stamps or dated boarding passes, we would get denied.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.