The Mean Lady

The Interview Process

36 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just out of curiosity, how bad is it if when they ask 'why do you want to come to the US' my husband answers 'I don't'?

Because honestly he doesn't. But he finally realized it's only fair to give the states a chance because that's what we had agreed upon before getting married. I left behind a LOT of family and it's difficult for me to work remotely from the computer all of the time so I think he just finally caved and literally said to me 'it's only fair.'

I know you're not supposed to lie soooooo... just wondering if I should help him come up with a slightly more appealing answer lmao

Or maybe they want to hear that because then they know he isn't coming just for citizenship? lol!

oldlady.gif

why say he doesn't want to come to the u.s.? why not reframe (in a sense) the question with the answer " i want to be with my wife".

i know that's the only reason orfee is here - because i'm here. i have a son from my previous marriage and even though i want nothing more than to get the hell out of this crazy place - we're stuck in the u.s. for the time being. i don't believe they ask that question to see if you're enthusiastic about the united states, they want to see if you're vested in the relationship..

Timeline

why say he doesn't want to come to the u.s.? why not reframe (in a sense) the question with the answer " i want to be with my wife".

i know that's the only reason orfee is here - because i'm here. i have a son from my previous marriage and even though i want nothing more than to get the hell out of this crazy place - we're stuck in the u.s. for the time being. i don't believe they ask that question to see if you're enthusiastic about the united states, they want to see if you're vested in the relationship..

Well that's what I was asking, if we should work on his response a little bit.

My husband is VERY straight forward and tells it like it is, so I feel like his immediate response to 'why do you want to come here' would instantly be 'i don't' ...He's not really a people person...

oldlady.gif

Timeline

He wants to come to the US to be with his wife. I'm hoping that is why he caved, and really why he is coming...

No I think his elaborate response would be more like 'my wife has been bugging me and complaining for 2 years that I don't want to be here and I was tired of listening to her cry so I finally decided to just go'

oldlady.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My husband is VERY straight forward and tells it like it is, so I feel like his immediate response to 'why do you want to come here' would instantly be 'i don't' ...He's not really a people person...

Here's hoping that he's a smart person and can understand what the purpose of the interview is: to obtain the visa, not be a wise cracker.

Perhaps you should explain to him what this means to you. This isn't a game and has real world ramifications.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Just out of curiosity, how bad is it if when they ask 'why do you want to come to the US' my husband answers 'I don't'?

Because honestly he doesn't. But he finally realized it's only fair to give the states a chance because that's what we had agreed upon before getting married. I left behind a LOT of family and it's difficult for me to work remotely from the computer all of the time so I think he just finally caved and literally said to me 'it's only fair.'

I know you're not supposed to lie soooooo... just wondering if I should help him come up with a slightly more appealing answer lmao

Or maybe they want to hear that because then they know he isn't coming just for citizenship? lol!

How bad would it be if they took your husband by his word and then honored it?

Edited by Teddy B

How bad would it be if they took your husband by his word and then honored it?

Be careful what you wish for...

Diplomacy is best in this situation in my opinion.

Terri

Fiance visa

04/28/2011 - I-129F - DENIED

02/18/2012 - I-129F petition filed
02/24/2012 - NOA1
09/04/2012 - NOA2, 193 days

Interview:10/22/2012
POE: 10/26/2012 (245 days)

Removal of Conditions

Filed for ROC - 06/09/2015

NOA1 for ROC - 06/12/2015

Biometrics appointment - 07/17/2015

Approval for ROC - 04/20/2016 (316 days)

Naturalization Process

N-400 Filed 06/10/2016

N-400 NOA1 06/14/2016

N-400 biometrics 06/20/16

N-400 interview 01/23/2017

N-400 Oath ceremony 02/10/2017

Immigration Process took 2116 days.

maybe i don't understand your question, this really isn't difficult. he can say "i don't" just add eight little words "but i want to be with my wife". i don't see how clarifying the "i don't" detracts from being straight forward. unless his reason is more to shut you up then to live with you... if that's the case - yeah, he should keep that to himself.

Timeline

maybe i don't understand your question, this really isn't difficult. he can say "i don't" just add eight little words "but i want to be with my wife". i don't see how clarifying the "i don't" detracts from being straight forward. unless his reason is more to shut you up then to live with you... if that's the case - yeah, he should keep that to himself.

lol thanks.

oldlady.gif

Do I get to be there during his interview? Or no? I think I read that he can come to mine...

uh i dont know what process you're involved in but, normally only the beneficiary has an interview. and yes you can attend..

Timeline

uh i dont know what process you're involved in but, normally only the beneficiary has an interview. and yes you can attend..

The beneficiary meaning the sponsor?

They never interview him?! I'm confused now lol.

Edited by KDubovik

oldlady.gif

Timeline

The beneficiary meaning the sponsor?

They never interview him?! I'm confused now lol.

The Canadian is the one that will be interviewed......The American will NOT be. The American may goto the Consulate and be with the Canadian, but may or may not be allowed to go into the small room where the interview takes place. In Canada the American does NOT have to attend......In other countries with high fraud rates, the American is strongly recommended to attend...Not thew case in Canada

Edited by Flames9_RN

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.