ClearBlu

Applying for US Visa with criminal record in Jamaica

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Met a sincere wonderful man during my visit in jamaica back in july and we have been communicating everyday since my return to the US (79 days and counting)....we agreed it was love at first site, as well as fate....we wouldn't have even met if our original tour driver didn't need for my love to take his place that day which he agreed to do...anywayz not to bore u all but here's the question..he wants to come to the states..but he has a criminal record and served 6 years for robbery and only been out a year...i know some of you would tell me not to waste my time, but before you judge his past, you should know his present, and can predict his future.Is there even a chance?? will he be stuck in jamaica forever? who should he talk to? how long does your criminal conviction stay on your record in jamaica?

You should try to gather any records regarding the conviction and talk to a US immigration lawyer who deals with waivers of criminal inadmissibility. All 3 linked in my signature are excellent lawyers who handle these kinds of cases. Unfortunately, it's an uphill battle. He'll need to file an I-601 waiver because I'm fairly confident that robbery served for 6 years is a Crime Involving Moral Turpitude. So he'll need to prove rehabilitation, plus you'll need to prove extreme and unusual hardship if he is not allowed to enter the US. An attorney can give you an idea of what your chances are and how difficult it will be. Laura and Lizz (both linked in my signature) offer free consultations, and I suggest talking to both before you proceed.

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter

4MLHm5.pngCzLqp9.png

You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

Met a sincere wonderful man during my visit in jamaica back in july and we have been communicating everyday since my return to the US (79 days and counting)....we agreed it was love at first site, as well as fate....we wouldn't have even met if our original tour driver didn't need for my love to take his place that day which he agreed to do...anywayz not to bore u all but here's the question..he wants to come to the states..but he has a criminal record and served 6 years for robbery and only been out a year...i know some of you would tell me not to waste my time, but before you judge his past, you should know his present, and can predict his future.Is there even a chance?? will he be stuck in jamaica forever? who should he talk to? how long does your criminal conviction stay on your record in jamaica?

He would have to file a wavier, his chances is almost a 99.9% that he would be denied a visa. The information on his crimimmal record in Jamamica stays on a life time. Trying is up to you.

If you are so inlove, move there to be with him. His chance of getting a visa is very very slim. I have known people with charges for stealing and every single visa application was denied( student, visitor, work). That particular person is very educated and just made a stupid mistake, but it will follow him forever. The US embassy in Jamaica is very strict when giving visas so I wouldn't even waste my time and money on getting a lawyer.

Goodluck

Edited by Newbie608

AOS from F-1(Married to USC
06.08.12 - AOS mailed
09.18.12 - Interview.....Approved!!

ROC- Divorce Waiver
05/09/14- I-751 packet mailed to CSC
05/12/14- NOA1 Receipt date
07/01/14- Biometrics Appt

08/11/14- RFE received

09/08/14- RFE response received by USCIS

09/22/14- 10yrs GC Approved!!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I would suggest educating yourself on US immigration laws pertaining to criminal history, also read threads on VJ pertaining to waivers. It has been my experience from talking to others that it will be denied, or it will be seen as a relationship intended for immigration.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

...i know some of you would tell me not to waste my time, but before you judge his past, you should know his present, and can predict his future.Is there even a chance?? will he be stuck in jamaica forever? who should he talk to? how long does your criminal conviction stay on your record in jamaica?

1)There is a 0.000000000001% he might go to the US in the distant future.

2) Your husband may be able leave Jamaica but most likely the USA, UK, Australia, Canada and countries of the like are out. But he can still try.

3) You should be the one talking to the professionals since this is someone wanting to immigrate to the US. All he can do is read a research.

4) FOREVER unless he was wrongfully convicted.

The reason why your husband may not get a visa is that there is somewhere on immigration documents that says you are ineligible for a visa and so inadmissible to the US if the person being petitioned has:

-committed a crime of moral turpitude.

-served a prison sentence of more than 5 years

-and he may not even get a waiver considering that he recently enough got released and enough time has not passed where it could be proven or assumed that your boyfriend turned his life around.

Anyway if it's something you really want you should go ahead and still try.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

IF and that is a big if he is ever going to get a visa you are looking at a long slow road, it will take years and tens of thousands of dollars to get him here. The US does not look lightly on people that have not shown good decision making in following their local laws. There is another site immigrate2us.net that specializes in problem petitions. I would recommend you wander by there as you will find more people with difficult journeys.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits to Waivers forum; OP's significant other will likely require a waiver before being granted a visa.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

If I'm not mistaken you can only file the I-601 waiver if you are married since you would have to show extreme hardship and a fiance' can't do that is that correct?

But 6 tears robbery is a violation of moral turpitude code so hard road. yes. Good you ask before leaping. God bless you both.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Fiances actually are qualifying relatives for an I-601, but the argument can be made that the ability to prove extreme hardship is a LOT more of a challenge when the beneficiary and petitioner are not yet married, don't have kids, the beneficiary is not in some kind of financial support or medical support role to the US citizen, and then on top of that, when there's a recent criminal issue to overcome. I know quite a few fiances who had I-601s approved, but in their cases, the waivers were for "simple" unlawful presence in the US and no criminal issues.

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter

4MLHm5.pngCzLqp9.png

You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

Timeline

Fiances actually are qualifying relatives for an I-601, but the argument can be made that the ability to prove extreme hardship is a LOT more of a challenge when the beneficiary and petitioner are not yet married, don't have kids, the beneficiary is not in some kind of financial support or medical support role to the US citizen, and then on top of that, when there's a recent criminal issue to overcome. I know quite a few fiances who had I-601s approved, but in their cases, the waivers were for "simple" unlawful presence in the US and no criminal issues.

Thank you for the correction. Good to know. Much appreciated.good.gif

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.