seanoneone

I-94 form?

26 posts in this topic

Jay-Kay, I can't provide a link to my own personal experience. I do think that it is wise to allow someone's actual experience to carry a little more weight than just to be labeled as 'lots of misinformation'.

Tracy TN, there was absolutely no mention or question of which country did I come from during the entire process I went through in order to confirm that I did not need the actual I-94, but that the stamp I and my K2 received in our passports was sufficient.

SS were satisfied with the stamp, and I applied for my SSN within 1 week of arriving.

The CBP staff at Peace bridge, where I had originally been told to apply for the I-94 by a an answer on my post here on VJ, using the same link you provided to the OP, told me I didn't need one the stamp was it.

The fellow on the counter at the info pass counter at Buffalo said I wouldn't need the form, the stamp was it. When I insisted on hearing that from someone other than himself his supervisor said I had the stamp and that was sufficient.

Our congressman's office liaison confirmed that we would not need the form, the stamp was sufficient. She also confirmed that the supervisor I had spoken to had worked within USCIS for 20 years and was a very reliable source of information and as she had confirmed I would not need the I-94, just the stamp I let it rest at that.

So having spent a numbers of hours in phone calls and an entire day in Buffalo NY, trying to get a straight answer, I accepted that - I didn't need the actual piece of paper, the stamp was sufficient, and not once was I asked what country I was from, whether it was a VWP Country or not.

There is not always one way of doing things with this process, so be careful to label other people as misinformed when they are talking from their own experience.

AOS Timeline
Filed 15th June, 2012
NOA date 18th June
Bio appt 20th July
Transferred to CSC 21st July, 2012
EAD/AP approved 27th August.
Received Green Card 6th October. No Interview. Amazing!
Thanks for all the help, see you again in June 2014

ROC Timeline

Mailed Package 30th June 2014

I-797 received 5th July, 2014

Biometrics Appointment 07/30/2014.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am glad everything worked out for you and your situation. The fact of the matter is that the I-94 white paper form is still being given out and still asked for at the SSA and by USCIS for filing AOS. There has not been a new policy/procedure put in place. If there had been, then they would announce those changes to let everyone know. As it stands, those entering with a K-1 visa fill out an I-94 and the bottom portion of that form is stamped and placed into their passport by CBP. The update notice posted on Sept 17th says they are looking into the idea of making the I-94 electronic as well, so perhaps sometime soon everyone will not have to worry about getting that little rectangle bottom portion of the form placed in their passport. For now though, that procedure is still in place and it is still a requirement.

Sharing your experience could help the OP if they check with deferred inspection and are told just the stamp in their passport will work as well. At this point I just do not think it is wise for one person's experience to trump what CBP, DoS and the USCIS state is the ongoing procedure.

When I stated there was a lot of misinformation in the thread, there was. I was mainly speaking about all the misinformation kiwi lass posted, but I think the OP needed to be told they should have received one and to check with CBP deferred inspection first and foremost.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I am glad everything worked out for you and your situation. The fact of the matter is that the I-94 white paper form is still being given out and still asked for at the SSA and by USCIS for filing AOS. There has not been a new policy/procedure put in place. If there had been, then they would announce those changes to let everyone know. As it stands, those entering with a K-1 visa fill out an I-94 and the bottom portion of that form is stamped and placed into their passport by CBP. The update notice posted on Sept 17th says they are looking into the idea of making the I-94 electronic as well, so perhaps sometime soon everyone will not have to worry about getting that little rectangle bottom portion of the form placed in their passport. For now though, that procedure is still in place and it is still a requirement.

Sharing your experience could help the OP if they check with deferred inspection and are told just the stamp in their passport will work as well. At this point I just do not think it is wise for one person's experience to trump what CBP, DoS and the USCIS state is the ongoing procedure.

When I stated there was a lot of misinformation in the thread, there was. I was mainly speaking about all the misinformation kiwi lass posted, but I think the OP needed to be told they should have received one and to check with CBP deferred inspection first and foremost.

Well said. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Can somebody please help me, I’m so confused. 

I got my K1 on July 5th but didn’t enter the states until September 27th and we were married Oct 29th. My K1 expired on Dec 1st, we were able to get my SSN in my maiden name and then have it changed to my married name before Dec 1st. We haven’t yet applied for the AOS due to cost and plan to do this in January. After reading this post I feel like I am illegal now, even though we’ve only been married just over a month! I was NOT given an i94. I came from the UK. All I have is an expired K1. What do I do??? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Julia80 said:

I got my K1 on July 5th but didn’t enter the states until September 27th and we were married Oct 29th. My K1 expired on Dec 1st, we were able to get my SSN in my maiden name and then have it changed to my married name before Dec 1st. We haven’t yet applied for the AOS due to cost and plan to do this in January. After reading this post I feel like I am illegal now, even though we’ve only been married just over a month! I was NOT given an i94. I came from the UK. All I have is an expired K1. What do I do??? 

This is an old thread and the I94 can be obtained electronically now, and you'll need it to file the AOS paperwork. You can find yours here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/

Click on 'Get most recent I-94'

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

5 hours ago, Julia80 said:

Listen to the above as you MUST have an I-94 record. You literally cannot be issued an SSN without it.

You get an I-94 record on entry - this gets entered into the SAVE-ASVI system and from there you can get a state drivers license, SSN, etc... Without that record you wouldn't have what you have.

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/12/2017 at 6:56 PM, Peot said:

Listen to the above as you MUST have an I-94 record. You literally cannot be issued an SSN without it.

You get an I-94 record on entry - this gets entered into the SAVE-ASVI system and from there you can get a state drivers license, SSN, etc... Without that record you wouldn't have what you have.

That’s valid, but surely the i94 is valid for 90 days from entry into the USA? Dec 1st was only 63 days from when I entered. 

And i I wasn’t given an i94, no tangible i94. It may be on the system but that doesn’t help me as I can’t see it

Edited by Julia80

On 04/12/2017 at 6:56 PM, Peot said:

And I can’t get a drivers licence. They won’t give me one until I have an EAD or GC. We are in Indiana. I can’t even get a bank account. This whole thing is hellish. 

40 minutes ago, Julia80 said:

That’s valid, but surely the i94 is valid for 90 days from entry into the USA? Dec 1st was only 63 days from when I entered. 

And i I wasn’t given an i94, no tangible i94. It may be on the system but that doesn’t help me as I can’t see it

38 minutes ago, Julia80 said:

And I can’t get a drivers licence. They won’t give me one until I have an EAD or GC. We are in Indiana. I can’t even get a bank account. This whole thing is hellish. 

The i94 record is valid always. You can print it off online at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/ It simply shows that you legally entered the US on your visa. In every case, the entry record is stamped to your visa as well and is usually the only "tangible" part. Your visa must have been given an entry stamp.

You usually can't get a bank account without an SSN. You can get an SSN at any time using your passport with visa included. Once I had an SSN in hand, I got a bank account the next day.

You'll need that SSN for the BMV as well. For Indiana it shouldn't be a problem to get your license as long as you have one from the UK. Along with your UK driver's license you will need to show documentation proving your identity, lawful status, Social Security number, and Indiana residency.

Basically you need your birth certificate, your passport (with visa), and some mail with your new address on it in Indiana such as a credit card statement, a bill from a service like electric or water, etc..

37 minutes ago, Peot said:

Basically you need your birth certificate, your passport (with visa), and some mail with your new address on it in Indiana such as a credit card statement, a bill from a service like electric or water, etc..

I should probably point out here that it makes a lot more sense to wait until you get your EAD or green card before getting your driver's license unless you absolutely need to have it for ID purposes. If you get your driver's license before the 90 days are up on your K1, you will only be valid for up to the end of those 90 days.

For example, I got mine in October and it expired in December. I will now have to wait until my EAD comes in or GC, and then apply again, paying the fee twice. However, having the driver's license has made it extremely easy to get things I needed like car insurance, over the counter medicine, and alcohol at restaurants. Thankfully I have a valid driver's license from Canada, so I'm fine with driving on that.

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.