J&P!

Updating SSN card after EAD is approved

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

Once the EAD is approved do I have to go to scial security office and get a new card? I got my SSN soon after I came to USA and it says valid for work only with DHA authorization?.

The SSN office is really far from the city and I dont drive, just wanted to make sure I can work with EAD and my SSN.

I hope some one will be able to help.

Thanks

The EAD will not take away the wording "only valid with." You can save that trip for when you get the GC.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

One thing to consider is that as long as you remain a LPR you can only work with authorization of the DHS.

However, your green card is your authorization from the DHS, which affords you the privilege of working and residing in the US. So in essence, the verbiage on your SSN does not restrict you from working nor does it limit your ability to be employed or considered for employment.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you for the answers, I appreciate your help.

Just to be sure I dont have to go to the SSN office until I get my green card then? Good news saves me allot of time :)

Thank you once again.

best

px

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

If you are not the one changing name in your couple, no need to go to the SS office. I did get there when I got my EAD, but it was to update my card to my married name. The "valid for work only with DHS authorization" is still there on my new card. I believe having the Green card will remove that annotation (I'm planning to go there today to do it!).

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Timeline

This link is helpful: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html#a0=2

"We issue three types of Social Security cards. All cards show your name and Social Security number.

-The first type of card shows your name and Social Security number and lets you work without restriction. We issue it to:

U.S. citizens; and

People lawfully admitted to the United States on a permanent basis.

-The second type of card shows your name and number and notes, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION.” We issue this type of card to people lawfully admitted to the United States on a temporary basis who have DHS authorization to work.

[...]"

EAD is a temporary work authorization so the annotation will still be on the card. When you become a permanent resident, the annotation disappears (so you need to go back to the SS office to let them know your change of status, see here: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html#a0=6).

Edited by didopage

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

ROC Timeline

N-400 Timeline

- Now waiting...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yep, cannot get the annotation removed until you have your green card.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

You can call me Dido, I prefer. :P

ROC Timeline

N-400 Timeline

- Now waiting...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic has been moved from AOS forum to SSN Sub-forum as a more appropriate location for this discussion

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Thank you so much for the detail information @ Dildopage!

This forum has made my life so much easy :)

Once again thank you so very much everyone.

x

:blush::wacko::blink:

You can call me Dido, I prefer. :P

I just fell out of my chair really..ROFLMAO....Moderators...where are you??? Arrest this OP!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::P :P

Sorry for the double post. I was trying to post when the dreaded 0600EST site updaty thingy started.

Edited by Scott & Annie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.