Mr&MrsDavis

Not enough to prove family relationship?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hello! This is the first time I have actually browsed through this website, so for the experts, I hope that I am not bugging you with repetitive questions! I came here on a B1/B2 visa in 2007 and adjusted my status in the US to F-1 not too long after. I met my husband, who is a USC, in 2009 at a community college and we were married in 2011. I was reading over the instructions on how to file and I realized that the only proof of a family relationship we have is our joint bank account, which we do not use very often.. Reason being, we met when we were 18 and were married at 20. Since we are still going to school we are living with his parents and so my husband and I are dependents on his parents tax return. I am embarrassed to admit that I am financially dependent on them but so grateful that they have done so much for me. His mom will also fill out the affidavit of support for us.

Is there anything else I can do/send to prove family relationship? All I really have are pictures but nothing on paper except our joint bank account. Will our age and lack of documentation be a problem?

I also did a free consultation with some immigration lawyer for this and didn't get much info from her and I really felt that she really just wanted my money.. She also told me my english was "too good" and that I should dumb it down for the interview? Is that even possible? I was taught English in Korea starting a very young age which is why I am fluent in the language. I do not have an accent and thought that this was a good thing but now I am finding out that this might be bad?

Sorry this was so long... I feel like I am trying to have too many questions answered at once... Thank you so much in advance. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

in my understanding and initial experience...I did the preparations of all the documents and filling in of forms here in Thailand, of course guided by visajourney...there are samples of filled-in forms here...then, after triple checking plus the labelling of pictures and scanning/printing of other evidences, I sent him all the necessary docs and had him signed them...no lawyers needed...as long as you have visajourney...they will really ripped off your pocket!

And with the affidavit of support, friends told me based on their experiences as well, its okay to have someone who will assure that they'll will support you when you arrive in the US...The government just wanna be sure that you won't be a burden...just go on and start your journey! :)goodLuck

Edited by sammdt

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello! This is the first time I have actually browsed through this website, so for the experts, I hope that I am not bugging you with repetitive questions! I came here on a B1/B2 visa in 2007 and adjusted my status in the US to F-1 not too long after. I met my husband, who is a USC, in 2009 at a community college and we were married in 2011. I was reading over the instructions on how to file and I realized that the only proof of a family relationship we have is our joint bank account, which we do not use very often.. Reason being, we met when we were 18 and were married at 20. Since we are still going to school we are living with his parents and so my husband and I are dependents on his parents tax return. I am embarrassed to admit that I am financially dependent on them but so grateful that they have done so much for me. His mom will also fill out the affidavit of support for us.

Is there anything else I can do/send to prove family relationship? All I really have are pictures but nothing on paper except our joint bank account. Will our age and lack of documentation be a problem?

I also did a free consultation with some immigration lawyer for this and didn't get much info from her and I really felt that she really just wanted my money.. She also told me my english was "too good" and that I should dumb it down for the interview? Is that even possible? I was taught English in Korea starting a very young age which is why I am fluent in the language. I do not have an accent and thought that this was a good thing but now I am finding out that this might be bad?

Sorry this was so long... I feel like I am trying to have too many questions answered at once... Thank you so much in advance. :)

The inlaws claiming you as a dependent may be a problem for them with the tax man, but it won't be a problem per se with immigration. However, the fact that you both are listed as dependents may be a negative.

If you cannot prove that you have a bona fide marriage, then your petition will be denied. From what you are telling us, all you can prove is that you are housemates with a marriage certificate. So start working to solve the potential problem. What can you show as far as interaction with friends, mail addressed to the both of you, listing yourselves as married on any school or other documents, etc.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'm sure others will help with the documentation type stuff for the interview. Have you ever heard someone try to fake an accent? It sounds like they are trying to fake an accent.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

The inlaws claiming you as a dependent may be a problem for them with the tax man, but it won't be a problem per se with immigration. However, the fact that you both are listed as dependents may be a negative.

If you cannot prove that you have a bona fide marriage, then your petition will be denied. From what you are telling us, all you can prove is that you are housemates with a marriage certificate. So start working to solve the potential problem. What can you show as far as interaction with friends, mail addressed to the both of you, listing yourselves as married on any school or other documents, etc.

All of our family and friends can vouch for us and we list ourselves as married on everything that applies.

What I was worried about is of the items that USCIS lists to turn in with forms, I only have the bank account and I guess his parents tax returns (if that even counts).

For the "other" documentations, like pictures, wedding album, school documents, or any other things that would list us as being married, do I have to wait until the interview to show them this stuff or can I send it in with my application?

In our situation, would it be smarter to just wait until we have more documentation? I'm not in a hurry as school keeps us pretty occupied and it wouldn't change much (I am in nursing school and my husband is getting his BS in Physics).

Also does being a different race matter? I'm Asian and he's White. I was so relaxed before talking to the attorney but now I feel like she's put all these ideas into my head...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

All of our family and friends can vouch for us and we list ourselves as married on everything that applies.

What I was worried about is of the items that USCIS lists to turn in with forms, I only have the bank account and I guess his parents tax returns (if that even counts).

For the "other" documentations, like pictures, wedding album, school documents, or any other things that would list us as being married, do I have to wait until the interview to show them this stuff or can I send it in with my application?

In our situation, would it be smarter to just wait until we have more documentation? I'm not in a hurry as school keeps us pretty occupied and it wouldn't change much (I am in nursing school and my husband is getting his BS in Physics).

Also does being a different race matter? I'm Asian and he's White. I was so relaxed before talking to the attorney but now I feel like she's put all these ideas into my head...

A start would be for your spouse to file taxes. As married. If you're looking to gather more evidence, I'd personally recommend to do it before starting the AOS process rather than only showing 1-2 months worth of being married(on paper). Mostly, USCIS is looking at the paper trail of comingling your lives. But they also know that newlyweds don't have as much as if you had been married for 2-4-6 years.

Does your spouse has a car? Adding you to the title, the insurance. No phone bill in your name that you can add each other to? Comitted memberships anywhere?

Affidavits from his parents(as the landlords) attesting you live as a married couple in their house and has been since xx date/year. This is normally secondary evidence supporting the primary because it's not from a 3rd party agency who has no interest in your personal life.

Race doesn't matter.

Speaking English fluenty won't count against you. You've been in the US since 2007, it would be odd if your English hadn't improved over 5 years.

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from AOS from Family visa to AOS from Student Visa ****

The joint bank account may be the only financial document you have, but surely you have other items:

- hotel receipt with both your names

- letters/ wedding cards addressed to both of you

- Drtivers licenses with your address being the same

- Joint bills such as cell phone, netflix etc, or at least separate bills going to the same address

- Being listed as next of kin in emergency contact documents for the college etc

Speaking English well is a good thing, no issues there.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

USCIS understands that newlyweds don't have a lot of evidence. Especially if they are young. If you get a lawyer, definitely get a new one because that one is full of it. You should always be yourself - no gimmicks. Your accent will make no bearing on the case whatsoever.

I would file now and figure out your evidence later. Worst case, they will ask you questions about your life and you will answer, and that will be that.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.