Chloe and Josh

Just got back from my Congressman's office

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I am currently at day 179, which I know is slightly under the 6 months I read you should wait, but I couldn't take it any more and the office is just down the street. I felt like I needed someone on my side... Unfortunately, that person is certainly not going to be in Congress. I didn't so much want someone to bump my application to the top or the like, but I wanted to hear that my wait was normal and my time was close at hand. OR, that I had done something grossly incorrect that I needed to fix. It was a government office, so I wasn't terribly shocked at the lack of kindness but it plainly set the tone for my experience.

I, with great hope, gave the immigration person my reference number and she went to work. After a short while she returned and told me that my application was with an officer and that was all she could provide... which is fine. I asked her, from her experience, what she thought was a reasonable timeline. She informed me that I had probably 2 more months before my NOA2. To which I balked because, from all my research, VSC is processing at around 6 months. She then asked if I was lecturing her on how to do her job and I politely responded in the negative but it didn't get much better from there. She asked why I was in such a hurry. "I was hoping to have my fiancee and her family over for Thanksgiving and I don't feel like displeasure with a 6-8 month wait is vastly impatient", I responded.... She laughed and said that I would be lucky if she made it over by new year and that I was indeed simply being impatient. She then began to quiz me on what I included in my I-129f packet. I passed everything except for the personal references she mentioned. She said that I should have included 3 personalized letters from my peers and because I didn't I would positively receive a RFE. Does anyone know if this is true? My packet was extremely detailed with ample proof but no letters from friends or coworkers...

Ok, I think that's it for my rant. Really just a long post asking about references but I would appreciate and thoughts on this. Thanks as always, Team.

Best,

Josh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I didn't enclose any "personalized" letters and I got no RFE. I've never heard of that but maybe someone more learned than I knows for sure.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I did not have a single reference in mine and I did not get a RFE.

November 19, 2010 - Met for the first time on first trip to JA

February 2011 - Second trip to JA

May 2011 - Third trip to JA

February 10, 2012 - Engaged on Fourth trip to JA

February 13, 2012 – I-129F Mailed: VSC

February 22, 2012 – NOA1

August 10, 2012 – NOA2

August 17, 2012 - NVC received

August 23, 2012 - Jamaican Consulate received

August 30, 2012 – emailed DS-230

August 31, 2012 - Consulate verified receipt of DS-230 by email

September 17, 2012 - Packet 4 received

October 4, 2012 - Medical Appointment

October 19, 2012 - Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am currently at day 179, which I know is slightly under the 6 months I read you should wait, but I couldn't take it any more and the office is just down the street. I felt like I needed someone on my side... Unfortunately, that person is certainly not going to be in Congress. I didn't so much want someone to bump my application to the top or the like, but I wanted to hear that my wait was normal and my time was close at hand. OR, that I had done something grossly incorrect that I needed to fix. It was a government office, so I wasn't terribly shocked at the lack of kindness but it plainly set the tone for my experience.

I, with great hope, gave the immigration person my reference number and she went to work. After a short while she returned and told me that my application was with an officer and that was all she could provide... which is fine. I asked her, from her experience, what she thought was a reasonable timeline. She informed me that I had probably 2 more months before my NOA2. To which I balked because, from all my research, VSC is processing at around 6 months. She then asked if I was lecturing her on how to do her job and I politely responded in the negative but it didn't get much better from there. She asked why I was in such a hurry. "I was hoping to have my fiancee and her family over for Thanksgiving and I don't feel like displeasure with a 6-8 month wait is vastly impatient", I responded.... She laughed and said that I would be lucky if she made it over by new year and that I was indeed simply being impatient. She then began to quiz me on what I included in my I-129f packet. I passed everything except for the personal references she mentioned. She said that I should have included 3 personalized letters from my peers and because I didn't I would positively receive a RFE. Does anyone know if this is true? My packet was extremely detailed with ample proof but no letters from friends or coworkers...

Ok, I think that's it for my rant. Really just a long post asking about references but I would appreciate and thoughts on this. Thanks as always, Team.

Best,

Josh

Based on Igors list, the last few days there have been several dates close to yours being approved. I am sure you are only a few days away rather than a few months. As far as the references go, it is not a requirement, and personally the first time I have even heard a few things.

It does not shock me about your experiance with the office, people forget that they are in office to SERVE THE CITIZENS OF THE US and we pay for them to be there. I recently reminded TSA of that in the Philly airport, and at the end, I got an appolgy for the persons actions. Best of luck!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

No, no truth to that. Personalized letters from people that know you are not a requirement for the I-129F petition.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

BOOM you hit her right on her bum bum :rofl: :rofl: woot woot

trust me you cannot rely on them..once upon a time i did ask help with my congress office..at 1st the worker seems interested working on my case...but up to now i haven't heard from her :rofl: (we are now waiting for my fiance interview on sep 18 :dance: :dance: )

anyways don't worry as soon as you received your noa2 things get smoother and faster...just believe :thumbs:

oh yah about that letter....no problem you don't need it...unless they requested it(which is very doubtful)...we never submit it not even for my fiance upcoming interview.

goodluck :thumbs:

Edited by Fight for Love

The longer it takes to happen the more you'll appreciate it when it does!

Timeline

179 days try 215 days and waiting and they told me it could be another 2 to 8 weeks again when i called. I even got up to tier 2 person and said i could not file a service request because I am still considered within the time frame. She said the stated goal is just that a stated goal and based on averages.. So the wait continues and today I say someone form CVS who was approved in 38 days.... Way to go VCS.........

Timeline

I agree, personal letters mean nothing, they would be the easiest thing to forge or have your friends write, so they mean nothing, and no one cares to see them.

I also agree you're being impatient, there are hundreds if not thousands of people in the same boat as you, and while I agree that it would be great if the processing times were better, they are what they are, and you'll have to wait your turn like everyone else :)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I didn't enclose any "personalized" letters and I got no RFE. I've never heard of that but maybe someone more learned than I knows for sure.

Same here, no letters, no rfe. :bonk:

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Best,

Josh

So to top it off you talked to someone that hasn't a clue about the process. No personal references needed, recommended and would have no bearing on a petition. EVER.

You will receive an NOA2 or an RFE when they review your case. Congress has no authority to make USCIS do anything except follow the law and there is NO LAW which specifies when petitions must be reviewed. You will NOT get an RFE for personal references and NO ONE ever has for a petition.

I suggest you now stop "watching the pot" and get about preparing for your fiancee's arrival, there is a lot to do when you relocate someone from the other side of the world.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I did not include any personalized letters from my peers and I did not get a RFE. I've never heard of that before, nor is it on the K1 guide checklist. This is actually the first time of I've heard of such a thing. My fiance's visa got approved today. So you don't even need those personalized letters for the interview...at least not at the US Embassy of Jamaica. Good luck to you and I hope you get your approval soon.

~K1 Visa~
March 10, 2012 - Mailed I-129F
March 15, 2012 - NOA1 received
July 24, 2012 – NOA2 received
July 30, 2012 - NVC Received
August 2, 2012 - NVC sent case to Embassy
August 3, 2012 - Embassy received
August 8, 2012 - Packet 3 received
August 16, 2012 – Received interview date
August 17, 2012 - Packet 4 received
August 17, 2012 - Received medical exam date
August 23, 2012 - Medical exam (PASSED)
September 7, 2012 - Interview (APPROVED)
September 21, 2012 - Visa Received
October 4, 2012 - POE (Miami)

October 19, 2012 - Applied for ssn & driver's permit

October 26, 2012 - Received restricted ssn

December 26, 2012 - Got driver's license using I-94
December 28, 2012 - Got married

~AOS~
February 19, 2013 - Mailed AOS package
February 27, 2013 - Email confirmation of AOS package received
March 7, 2013 - NOA received
March 19, 2013 - Post office returned biometrics appt letter saying it was undeliverable
April 12, 2013 - Appt at local USCIS office/Biometrics appt letter received at local office
April 12, 2013 - Biometrics Appt
April 19, 2013 - Online status says interview date was scheduled and notice was mailed out
April 22, 2013 - NOA received for Interview

May 7, 2013 - EAD & AP was approved
May 23, 2013 - AOS Interview (APPROVED)

May 29, 2013 - Received welcome notice letter

June 1, 2013 - Received greencard

June 3, 2013 - Got driver's license using GC

June 10, 2013 - Received EAD & AP

~ROC~

May 23, 2013 - Became a US Resident

February 22, 2015 - Earliest accepted filing date for ROC

May 23, 2015 - Conditional residency expires

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Your petition is not with an officer. It is in a box on a shelf. When its turn comes it willbe given to an adjudicator who will determine if it is approved in about 20 minutes, read the pinned topic at the top of this forum.

Reference letters are not required for any reason for any part of the immigration process and are particularly useless for the petition. They are one or two clicks above useless for the AOS or removal of conditions.

Your congressmans immigration representative in uniformed and/or simply lying to people and YES I would tell him so directly and with specificity. He is either unable or unwilling to do his job and you should write to your congressman directly or, better yet, attend his next public meeting and call him out on it in front of voters.

Congressmen have little affect on petitions anyway. But they should just say so and not make up BS that makes you worry needlessly

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Het there,

My fiance and I were als thinking of contacting a congresswoman. But I doubt if she really can make a difference. We didn't add the letters of friends or anybody, it also our I-129f was really detailed. We hope that that will just be fine.

I know this all is frustrating, we also contacted the USCIS and they also told us to wait at least a month. But they can't tell us more than we already know.

We're waiting for 188 days now. And we also hoped to be together for thanksgiving. But now we hope we'll be together before NYE.

Hang on and stay patience. We know how you feel.

''Nothing is strange.. Everything is different..''

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

No personal letters for us either. You stuff in in a box waiting and our congress visit was a waste of time also just like ours. Get to planning your fiancee's visit, hang in there.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.