16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My wife had her i-485 interview today at 8:45 AM on 8/31. We had everything prepared and the case rep told us that we had insufficient evidence so we had to go back and get more stuff and get it to her office by 2 PM.

Initially, we brought our joint savings account, photos, my life insurance with her as the primary beneficiary, joint car insurance. The case rep said she needed more and requested us to bring our separate checking accounts for 6 months, more photos, and anything else. So we gathered more photos, my past 6 months checking account that I have had for 10+ years with my parent's address and my wife's checking account with our current address, our LA Fitness membership printouts with our current addresses. Any bills such as car payments, water and power, and etc with my name on it but paid out of my wife's account. Our case rep said that she would get an answer to us within a week.

Our issue is my wife is scheduled to go to Korea next Tuesday, 9/4. She does have her advanced parole card so we want to know if she is ok to leave and go to Korea before a decision is made regarding her interview. Now, if she is out of the country and she has been denied, will she able to come back into the US? How likely is it she will approved? Our thought is she will be approved so she can leave next Tuesday and hopefully be approved while she is out of the US. Can anyone give us their opinions? Thank you.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My opinion would be that if she has her I-131 card (advanced parole), she is approved for re-entry into the US so she should be okay.

I would recommend she bring as much evidence pertaining to your marriage, her domicile in the US, anything work related, etc in case she is questioned at the port of entry when she returns back home. Like you've said, the issue is that she is leaving the country so soon after being married? Hopefully she isn't in Korea for too long. Another piece of evidence for her to bring would be the reason for her visiting Korea right now to explain why she is leaving the country (US) so soon.

Best of luck...

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

My wife had her i-485 interview today at 8:45 AM on 8/31. We had everything prepared and the case rep told us that we had insufficient evidence so we had to go back and get more stuff and get it to her office by 2 PM.

Initially, we brought our joint savings account, photos, my life insurance with her as the primary beneficiary, joint car insurance. The case rep said she needed more and requested us to bring our separate checking accounts for 6 months, more photos, and anything else. So we gathered more photos, my past 6 months checking account that I have had for 10+ years with my parent's address and my wife's checking account with our current address, our LA Fitness membership printouts with our current addresses. Any bills such as car payments, water and power, and etc with my name on it but paid out of my wife's account. Our case rep said that she would get an answer to us within a week.

Our issue is my wife is scheduled to go to Korea next Tuesday, 9/4. She does have her advanced parole card so we want to know if she is ok to leave and go to Korea before a decision is made regarding her interview. Now, if she is out of the country and she has been denied, will she able to come back into the US? How likely is it she will approved? Our thought is she will be approved so she can leave next Tuesday and hopefully be approved while she is out of the US. Can anyone give us their opinions? Thank you.

I agree you bring eveidence with her whiles travelling, honestly i think your rep was really stiff and mean coz with what u said and the rest you added were enough unless she saw something fishy whiles going through thats why she needed more evidence or possible she made the two of you go get the rest of document and maybe you guys were followed to see if truely you will get the documents together at the same house as stated. You just never know immigration officers.

Mine went great had mine tday and it was done and over within 5 mins i got a section 216 notice stating have to take off conditional i have and expect card in 4 to 6 weeks. All we had was pictures, statements and that was it.

If her AOS is denied while she is out of the country, then no, she won't be allowed back in. The AP she has is based off of the I-485, and if the I-485 is denied, the AP and EAD are cancelled.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

If her AOS is denied while she is out of the country, then no, she won't be allowed back in. The AP she has is based off of the I-485, and if the I-485 is denied, the AP and EAD are cancelled.

Harpa,

If her AOS is denied while she is in Korea, what are her options of coming back in? I was told by the USCIS rep on the phone to call the US Consular in Korea? Any suggestions just in case of the worst scenario?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I can't believe your interviewer asked for MORE evidence! Did anything go wrong during the interview that made your interviewer to ask for more evidences?

Unbelievable!

01/22/2011 - Met my now husband

06/09/2012 - Married the Best man in the world!

07/14/2012 - Mailed I-130 and I-485 packages

07/23/2012 - USCIS cashed our checks

07/25/2012 - Received Notice of Action letters for I-130, I-485 and I-765.

07/25/2012 - Received ASC Appointment Notice for biometrics. Biometrics scheduled for 08/14/2012 in Norfolk, VA.

08/07/2012 - Successful Walk-in Early Biometrics taken at a different ASC location (Alexandria, VA).

08/13/2012 - Called the FBI to ask about biometrics. USCIS have them!

08/27/2012 - Received Interview letter, Interview scheduled on Sept. 28th.

09/21/2012 - EAD card under production

09/28/2012 - Interview in Norfolk - No decision yet :(

09/29/2012 - EAD card received in the mail.

10/01/2012 - Case status updated - Approved! YAY!!!!

10/03/1012 - Card Production!!!!! YAAAAAAY!!!

10/10/2012 - Green Card received in the mail! It's beautiful!!!

ROC

7/7/14 - Package sent to Vermont Service Center

7/14/14 - USCIS received Package, USCIS sent first NOA

7/22/14 - ASC Appointment Notice Letter

8/15/14 - Biometrics done

...waiting and waiting and waiting...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Do not leave the country without the AP no matter what. If you do you will start all over again and would never forgive yourself for doing this.

Cancel the ticket ... whatever it takes.. Do not leave the contry. Trust me.

I cannot state this anymore... If you get denied... NO AP.. Your EAD.. everything you worked hard for will get flushed down the drain.

Edited by Dr Mirage

ROC Filing date : 10-20-2010

NOA date for I-751 : 10-21-2010

I-751 Biometrics Appt Date: 12-01-2010

I-751 Approval : 02-08-2011

Green Card Received Date : 02-15-2011

AOS Filing date : 06-12-2008

NOA date for I-485 : 06-19-2008

I-485 Biometrics Appt Date : 07-17-2008

Interview Date : 12-05-2008

Approval Date : 12-05-2008

Green Card Received Date : 12-17-2008

EAD Filed Date : 06-12-2008

EAD NOA Date : 06-29-2008

EAD Biometrics Appointment Date : 07-17-2008

EAD Approved Date : 08-18-2008

EAD Card Received : 08-29-2008

AP Filed Date : 07-31-2008

AP NOA Date : 08-04-2008

AP Approved Date : 09-16-2008

AP Date Received : 09-22-2008

K1 I-129F Sent : 08-22-2007

I-129F NOA1 : 10-03-2007

Touch (RFE Trick) : 02-01-2008

I-129F NOA2 : 02-01-2008

Touch : 02-03-2008

NVC Received : 02-11-2008

NVC Left : 02-19-2008

Consulate Received : 02-25-2008

Interview Date : 04-22-2008

Visa Received : 04-26-2008

US Entry : 05-02-2008

Marriage : 05-16-2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you everyone for all the help! My wife and I just checked our updated status online and she was approved! Her card will be produced and sent to her in 30 days! Therefore, she will be able to go to Korea without any problems! We are so happy!

First of all.. Congrats!

You said your wife was going to Korea this Tues though. She will not have her green card by then. Technically the AP is no longer valid once the green card is approved. I do not know if CBP would let her back in with the AP without problems. I have read about cases where the green card is approved while the person is already out of the country and are allowed to use the AP to re-enter, but your wife got her approval before she is scheduled to leave. You may want to push back the date of the trip until she has her green card. It usually only takes 7-10 days to receive it instead of the 30. You could also make an infopass appointment to get a temporary stamp in her passport since she was approved and needs to travel. However, it is a holiday tomorrow and she is supposed to leave Tues. Again, you might want to push back her departure date by a week or 2 if possible.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

First of all.. Congrats!

You said your wife was going to Korea this Tues though. She will not have her green card by then. Technically the AP is no longer valid once the green card is approved. I do not know if CBP would let her back in with the AP without problems. I have read about cases where the green card is approved while the person is already out of the country and are allowed to use the AP to re-enter, but your wife got her approval before she is scheduled to leave. You may want to push back the date of the trip until she has her green card. It usually only takes 7-10 days to receive it instead of the 30. You could also make an infopass appointment to get a temporary stamp in her passport since she was approved and needs to travel. However, it is a holiday tomorrow and she is supposed to leave Tues. Again, you might want to push back her departure date by a week or 2 if possible.

Jay,

Couldn't I just mail her green card to her parent's place in Korea when I receive it here in America? Would that be an option?

There is some dispute on legality of mailing a green card - not entirely sure if is legal. Also, if it gets lost - big problem. When on the 4th does she leave? I would make an Infopass or just show up if you can't get one that morning and ask for an I-551 stamp.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Get an I-551 stamp and have peace of mind. I would NEVER EVER leave the country without green card in hands or I-551 stamp in my passport! Seriously!

01/22/2011 - Met my now husband

06/09/2012 - Married the Best man in the world!

07/14/2012 - Mailed I-130 and I-485 packages

07/23/2012 - USCIS cashed our checks

07/25/2012 - Received Notice of Action letters for I-130, I-485 and I-765.

07/25/2012 - Received ASC Appointment Notice for biometrics. Biometrics scheduled for 08/14/2012 in Norfolk, VA.

08/07/2012 - Successful Walk-in Early Biometrics taken at a different ASC location (Alexandria, VA).

08/13/2012 - Called the FBI to ask about biometrics. USCIS have them!

08/27/2012 - Received Interview letter, Interview scheduled on Sept. 28th.

09/21/2012 - EAD card under production

09/28/2012 - Interview in Norfolk - No decision yet :(

09/29/2012 - EAD card received in the mail.

10/01/2012 - Case status updated - Approved! YAY!!!!

10/03/1012 - Card Production!!!!! YAAAAAAY!!!

10/10/2012 - Green Card received in the mail! It's beautiful!!!

ROC

7/7/14 - Package sent to Vermont Service Center

7/14/14 - USCIS received Package, USCIS sent first NOA

7/22/14 - ASC Appointment Notice Letter

8/15/14 - Biometrics done

...waiting and waiting and waiting...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Get an I-551 stamp and have peace of mind. I would NEVER EVER leave the country without green card in hands or I-551 stamp in my passport! Seriously!

Agree 100 %

And do you think its' worth taking risk when its' just wait for 1 or 2 weeks most?

I won't :star:

Get Fit > Learn > Work Harder >> Earn your Happiness !

May GOD bless All !

2007 - Entered, Start work in USA on H1B

2010 - Met my now wife :-)

2012 - Got married -> I Do !

July, 2012 - Preparing AOS package

Which is cheaper, changing the air travel date or filing for a spousal visa? Let's say you send her her GC to Korea and it gets lost or delayed and she has to enter the US before receiving the GC. How is she going to do that? Now she is outside the US with no document that allows her to re-enter. I suppose you could file for a replacement GC and wait for it to arrive and then hand deliver it to her since sending it to her caused problems the first time. $250 to reschedule the travel date is cheaper than the $450 for a replacement GC. If all that does not work out than you are stuck filing for a spousal visa and waiting with your wife in Korea.

I would make certain you either have the GC in hand or get an I-551 stamp in the passport BEFORE leaving the US. It took 2 days to receive the GC after approval for us. Our interview was on Thursday and the GC arrived on Saturday. Since they use Priority Mail, the GC may make it by the 4th, but I would bet on the 5th or 6th. I would still change my departure date if possible. Life is full of choices: choose wisely as this will have consquences that may last for a long time.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Which is cheaper, changing the air travel date or filing for a spousal visa? Let's say you send her her GC to Korea and it gets lost or delayed and she has to enter the US before receiving the GC. How is she going to do that? Now she is outside the US with no document that allows her to re-enter. I suppose you could file for a replacement GC and wait for it to arrive and then hand deliver it to her since sending it to her caused problems the first time. $250 to reschedule the travel date is cheaper than the $450 for a replacement GC. If all that does not work out than you are stuck filing for a spousal visa and waiting with your wife in Korea.

I would make certain you either have the GC in hand or get an I-551 stamp in the passport BEFORE leaving the US. It took 2 days to receive the GC after approval for us. Our interview was on Thursday and the GC arrived on Saturday. Since they use Priority Mail, the GC may make it by the 4th, but I would bet on the 5th or 6th. I would still change my departure date if possible. Life is full of choices: choose wisely as this will have consquences that may last for a long time.

Good luck,

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.