Johna

Broke up with fiancee after already submitted k1 petition

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone,

So my fiancee and I broke up a few weeks after we submitted the K1 petition packet to the USCIS.

Then, right after our break-up, I received a letter from the USCIS saying that the $340 fee was received and our packet is being sent to a different location for processing.

So I waited a couple more weeks hoping that we would get back together but now it is 100% certain that my fiancee is done with me.

What actions can I take to stop the K1 process? And I am worried that this will have an effect on me doing another K1 in the future should I decide to try going that route again.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by Johna

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Write a simple letter to USCIS stating that the petitioner wishes to withdraw the petition and that the beneficiary will not be petitioning for the K1 visa at this point. Include a copy of the NOA1 so USCIS can tie the letter to your particular case.

They should reply with a confirmation - (Canceled/Withdrawn Without Prejudice.)

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

It will have an affect if you decide to ever file an I-129F petition again.

Because if you file again, they will ask if you have ever filed for anybody in the past.

They will ask who you filed for? when you filed? and the outcome of the filing

Whether it is a negative affect....that I cannot tell you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

You shouldn't really worry too much about filing another K1 in the future. You never know where and in what circumstances you will meet your future spouse.

However, canceling a K1 is not a barrier from filing future ones.

I-129F sent July 26 201

NOA1 date July 29-2010

RFE February

Hello everyone,

So my fiancee and I broke up a few weeks after we submitted the K1 petition packet to the USCIS.

Then, right after our break-up, I received a letter from the USCIS saying that the $340 fee was received and our packet is being sent to a different location for processing.

So I waited a couple more weeks hoping that we would get back together but now it is 100% certain that my fiancee is done with me.

What actions can I take to stop the K1 process? And I am worried that this will have an effect on me doing another K1 in the future should I decide to try going that route again.

Make sure that you are really truly done. It becomes complicated to try to withdraw a withdrawal letter. It has happened many times on here in the past few months.

Cancelling will have some effect. You will have to disclose on future petitions and they may ask your Fiance about them at interviews.

There's a member on here, Bill TIllman (sp), who alleges that he has done 3 or 4 petitions successfully so you might want to search him out.

Best of luck.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Effect on any future petitions - you cancel/withdraw your current one. You won't need a vaiwer for a future petition because your current one was never approved. However, mention the cancelled petition to your potentially future fiancee. You do not want her to be surprised at her interview and having the interviewing officer think you've kept it from her. And yes - they might ask.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

I sure wish some people knew an answer for sure before they post help for someone. It could really cause legal problems with the wrong advise.

#1. You can't get in a jam or have problems for filing, withdrawing and then filing again with another respondent (foreign fiancee) ---- I personally know guys who have been through this. USCIS understands that all relationships don't work.

#2 If you break up with your fiancee you need to file a "Motion to Withdraw I129F"

Contact the National Visa Center with a request to withdraw your petition. No explanation is necessary. Be sure to reference any confirmation numbers you received in response to your original petition. Send this letter certified.

Wait until you receive confirmation that your petition has been withdrawn. Be patient, as notification of withdrawn petitions can take some time.

Edited by Mark-n-Luz

You are early on enough to not have any future issues should you go this route again. Watch my/our timeline for more as I cancelled my ex's in the 11th hour as she was going through medical. I am certain of an RFE for mine is forthcoming in the next few months. I am starting month 4 since my NOA1 so we will see. And never say never as I tossed all my documents after my break up as "I WAS NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN". Once again, time heals and never say never.

Good luck!

Shawn- AKA Big Bear

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You are early on enough to not have any future issues should you go this route again. Watch my/our timeline for more as I cancelled my ex's in the 11th hour as she was going through medical. I am certain of an RFE for mine is forthcoming in the next few months. I am starting month 4 since my NOA1 so we will see. And never say never as I tossed all my documents after my break up as "I WAS NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN". Once again, time heals and never say never.

Good luck!

Shawn- AKA Big Bear

:ot:

:ot2:. Just write a letter including copy of NOA1 stating your desire to withdraw the petition.

AOS

10/16/2012 Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131
10/19/2012 NOA1
11/09/2012 Biometrics Apt @ 3pm
12/25/2012 EAD/AP Approval
01/05/2013 Received EAD/AP in mail

06/20/2013 AOS APPROVED!!!!!

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

3/23/15 Mailed I-751

3/25/15 NOA1

3/28/15 NOA1 Received in the Mail

4/28/15 Biometrics Apt.

11/13/15 ROC Approved

11/18/15 Approval Letter Received

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

WOW motion to cancel I-129F? You don't need that. You need to send a simple letter to USCIS and ask to cancel the petition that's all. Immigration Law States if you filed two or more k1 petitions in any time in the past or previously had a k1 petition approved within two years prior to the filling of the petition the individual must apply for a waiver.

Edited by sandranj

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

WOW motion to cancel I-129F? You don't need that. You need to send a simple letter to USCIS and ask to cancel the petition that's all. Immigration Law States if you filed two or more k1 petitions in any time in the past or previously had a k1 petition approved within two years prior to the filling of the petition the individual must apply for a waiver.

:thumbs:

Indeed. Motion? No, just send a letter stating you wish to withdraw your petition. The petition is barely past the initial receiving phase, so it certainly has not reached the NVC as of yet. Send the letter to the service center your petition was sent to for processing. Including a copy of your NOA1 receipt notice is a good idea. You should receive confirmation that your petition was canceled. Do not assume it was until you get confirmation.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Hi Johna I wanted to ask what happened to the petition you cancelled last August 2012? How long before you received a confirmation that it was withdrawn already? Me and fiancé are planning to cancel the petition because we are scared to get denied because we submitted incomplete papers and then re-apply again. Hope to hear response. Thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.