Joe & Mari

AOS after K-1 - Advanced Parole

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I hope I posted this question in the right section of the forum! I am currently filling out the forms for the AOS after the K-1 visa since I recently got married to my now husband. I was wondering if I need to file the form I-131 for an advanced parole if I don"t intend to travel outside of the US any time soon? Do I need it in general or is it just that I can travel outside of the US if I need to before I have my green card (my info is that when I have the green card I may leave and enter the country whenever I want).

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

You don't need to, but I would advise you to do it. Because it's free when you do it with AOS (like EAD), and because you never know if you would need to travel back to your country temporally (family emergency, ...). It may take close to a year before you get your green card. :)

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You certainly are not required to file AP. Just know that if you don't file it and AOS takes awhile for you to get your green card that you will not be able to leave the country should you want to. We applied for it just in case we should need to leave the country. It is fairly simple paperwork to fill out and does not cost anything to add on. Hope that helps. :)

Sent I-129F: June 25th, 2011

NOA1: June 28th, 2011

Case "Touched": July 1st, 2011

NOA2: November 14th, 2011

NVC sent to Dublin Embassy: November 23rd, 2011

Dublin Embassy Received: November 28th, 2011

Medical: December 7th, 2011

Packet 3 Received: December 12, 2011

Packet 3 Sent: December 13, 2011

Packet 4 Received: January 5th, 2012

Interview: January 19th, 2012.......We're APPROVED!!!!!....

Flying to U.S.: February 15th, 2012

Married on: March 10th, 2012 :)))))) & today I will marry my best friend

NOA2 after 139 days

Filed AOS ( I-485, I-765, I-131): March 14th, 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Good advise above, no one can see the future and god forbid many things can happen in an instant. Better to have it and not need it, than needing it and not having it. It is free with the AOS and simple to fill out :thumbs:

Timeline

Thanks so much for all the replies! So in part 3 they are asking for a certain date when I want to leave the country, should I just leave that part out then?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tanzania
Timeline

Thanks so much for all the replies! So in part 3 they are asking for a certain date when I want to leave the country, should I just leave that part out then?

For my husband, we left blank the date for leaving the country and indicated no current plans to travel. He got his advance parole card. I'm happy for that, because AOS seems to be taking long...

NOA1: May 16, 2011

NOA2: November 16, 2011

Interview: February 1, 2012 - APPROVED

Visa in Hand: February 9, 2012

POE: February 21, 2012

Married: February 27, 2012

Timeline

Write "Unknown" and "Unknown" for when and how long. In your explanation sheet, you can just write a sentence explaining you want the AP in case of emergency.

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

ROC Timeline

N-400 Timeline

- Now waiting...

We put "as soon as possible" and "1 to 3 weeks" for length of trip. We never used the AP card, but GCs were being approved in under 90 days last year.

Dave

Timeline

Alright! I will just write unknown and explain it in the explanation sheet! Thanks for all your help! This forum has helped me so much through this process! Thanks a lot!!

Does one need to attach an explanation sheet giving reason for requesting AP. I though that since AP is being filed with I-485 it's not needed. Please can someone confirm as we are about to file my wife's AOS package next week. Thank You.

You do not need an explanation sheet, no.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

You do not need an explanation sheet, no.

Are you sure? Because on Part 7, it explicitly says "On a separate sheet of paper, explain ...".

Atlanta Desi Guy, I would do one. Plus it doesn't take much effort to explain in 1 sentence that you want it in case of emergency.

Edited by didopage

ROC Timeline

N-400 Timeline

- Now waiting...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Are you sure? Because on Part 7, it explicitly says "On a separate sheet of paper, explain ...".

Atlanta Desi Guy, I would do one. Plus it doesn't take much effort to explain in 1 sentence that you want it in case of emergency.

No, it is not needed when filing your I-131 with a pending I-485. Page 4> C. Advance Parole Document> b. and c. of the I-131 instructions. Notice the word or after b. You only need c., which is your pending I-485. If you file it after your I-485, then you would only need to include your NOA from the I-485.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.