Nadeshda

Help! Im german and I would like to go along with my bovfriend to the US.

25 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, my friend gave me a hint that you guys can help me out with my problem.

So first of all I'd like to introduce myself I m Nadja 25 years old and live in Germany since 19 years, I was born in Kazakhstan. I work at Aldi as a management assistant since 5 years. And I m dating a military guys over 2 years we re all in love with each other.

So problem is that both of his extensions got declined to stay longer in Germany and we just found out where he has to go to, because we had one more option to get a remote but no. He has to leave the latest by December this year and he would like to take me with him, but we both don't know any rules, laws or if its actually possible for me to go there. Maybe some of you can help us out what to do, what visa to get or if I could work on base there!?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

What exactly do you want to do?

If you have become a German citizen since you've been living there so long, you can visit your boyfriend in the USA on the visa waiver program for up to 90 days- you cannot work. If you are a citizen of Kazakhstan, you'd need to apply for a B2 tourist visa, pay the fee, and go to an interview at the US embassy in Frankfurt- whole process takes a few weeks. You'd need to show ties to Germany and why you will return. On the tourist visa, you can stay for up to 6 months but again, cannot work.

If you need/ want to work and stay long term in the USA, you could get married to your sweetheart now, then he can apply for a CR-1 spousal visa for you directly via the US embassy, and it may be done by the end of December. On this visa, when you enter the USA you get a grenecard and can work and travel immediately.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Please correct me if I am wrong but since her man is in the U.S. military and they get married overseas can't they file with the embassy for an expedited CR-1?

BF

What exactly do you want to do?

If you have become a German citizen since you've been living there so long, you can visit your boyfriend in the USA on the visa waiver program for up to 90 days- you cannot work. If you are a citizen of Kazakhstan, you'd need to apply for a B2 tourist visa, pay the fee, and go to an interview at the US embassy in Frankfurt- whole process takes a few weeks. You'd need to show ties to Germany and why you will return. On the tourist visa, you can stay for up to 6 months but again, cannot work.

If you need/ want to work and stay long term in the USA, you could get married to your sweetheart now, then he can apply for a CR-1 spousal visa for you directly via the US embassy, and it may be done by the end of December. On this visa, when you enter the USA you get a grenecard and can work and travel immediately.

Thanks for the replies. I m German. Well my plan was to go there and get a job so I can be with him. We don't want to get married just because of this, it will be just a piece of paper. I have read all the information about to get a work visa but my chance is like 0. And its hard for me to understand all the laws. We thought about that he could go first there and get me a job on base we don't know if this will work but the information I have read so far weren't really helpful. I also thought about to try out the lottery to get a green card but after I saw all the prices, I changed my mind about it. Are you guys have some other ideas?

Thanks

Nadja

There is not much else available except work visas. There are no partner visas. If you do not have a degree it is unlikely to get any work visas. Maybe Aldi can transfer you to the US? Do you have a bachelor's degree?

You can't just come and look for work, because you will need a visa anyway, and the company has to pay a lot of money for the visa. It's unlikely to happen on a 3 month timescale and if you overstay you can't get a work visa at all.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

well there is no Aldi around and I m pretty sure they wont get me a work visa. I have avocational baccalaureate diploma and a completed vocational training and that is not gonna work with this I guess.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

well there is no Aldi around and I m pretty sure they wont get me a work visa. I have avocational baccalaureate diploma and a completed vocational training and that is not gonna work with this I guess.

Unfortunately, nothing can occur in three months that would result in a visa allowing you to work in the US.

If you have a willing and able employer, it would still take over a year for a work visa.

Your only realistic option of coming to live in the US with your boyfriend is marriage.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

?????

If she wants to move to the US then there is only one realistic option.

Or you can spend for ever going in circles and coming back to the obvious.

If he is not interested in marriage, end of story.

?????

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Please correct me if I am wrong but since her man is in the U.S. military and they get married overseas can't they file with the embassy for an expedited CR-1?

Yes, that is why I said "directly via the US embassy".

A job on base in a shop or similar is not going to get you a work visa. Not sure what you mean on prices for the lottery- entering the greencard lottery is free, though there are visa fees to pay if you win, as there would be for any other visa you apply for.

*** unhelpful post and those quoting same removed ***

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

?????

?????

No need to get rude. She just started looking into it and exploring her options. It's not like this is going on forever and ever and ever and she doesn't understand it. Like I said she is just weighting her options plus she isn't familiar with VJ or the discussions that we have on here. She's new!!!

A job on base in a shop or similar is not going to get you a work visa. Not sure what you mean on prices for the lottery- entering the greencard lottery is free, though there are visa fees to pay if you win, as there would be for any other visa you apply for.

US citizenship is required anyways if you wanna take a job on base as a civilian.

well thank you guys for the help I knew there were no chances to come with him without marry him. I just couldn't figure this out by myself. ;-)

No need to get rude. She just started looking into it and exploring her options. It's not like this is going on forever and ever and ever and she doesn't understand it. Like I said she is just weighting her options plus she isn't familiar with VJ or the discussions that we have on here. She's new!!!

US citizenship is required anyways if you wanna take a job on base as a civilian.

Thanks for having my back that's excactly what I am trying to do ;-)

If you're not ready for marriage yet, I would just visit a few times and let some time pass. See how you feel later. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Queen Penguin,

Thanks, I missed that information in your original reply to OP. Sorry :blush:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.