spookyturtle

12 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' screening in Aurora, Colorado

144 posts in this topic

Twelve people were killed and at least 50 others wounded early Friday when a gunman wearing a bullet-proof vest opened fire during a midnight screening of the latest Batman movie near Denver, authorities and witnesses said.

Many victims being treated in at least six hospitals were under 40, including a 6-year-old taken to Children's Hospital Colorado. The youngest person treated was a 4-month-old baby, who has been released. The oldest reported patient is 45.

Authorities said the gunman had appeared at the front of the theater during the film and released a canister of tear gas. Witnesses told reporters that the gunfire erupted during a shootout scene in "The Dark Knight Rises".

"It was mass chaos," witness Jennifer Seeger told TODAY. The gunman shot the ceiling and then "he threw in the gas can, and then I knew it was real."

"I told my friend, 'We've got to get out of here,' but then he shot people trying to go out the exits," she recalled. She said the shooter made his way up the aisle, shooting as he went, saying nothing.

Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates initially told journalists that 14 people had been killed but the figure was later lowered to 12.

A suspect was apprehended in the shopping center's parking lot, Oates said. He was named as 24-year-old James Holmes, two federal officials from different agencies told NBC News.

The incident occurred in the Century 16 Movie Theaters at the Aurora Town Center, police told NBC News. Aurora is a suburb less than 10 miles east of downtown Denver.

NBC station KUSA-Denver cited a witness as seeing a black-clad 6-foot-tall man wearing a riot helmet, goggles and bullet-proof vest.

However, many people attended the film dressed in Batman-related costumes.

Witnesses said the gunman entered the theater through an emergency exit door.

The suspect was found in possession of a gas mask, Oates said. Ammunition was found in the suspect's car, police said.

The shooter had three weapons -- an assault-type rifle and two handguns, officials told NBC News. Holmes' car has Tennessee plates but authorities said he lived locally.

Police name alleged gunman in Colorado theater shooting

Police said there was no evidence of additional suspects.

"We're pretty confident he acted alone," officer Frank Fania told TODAY.

Holmes' apartment building in north Aurora was evacuated after he made a statement to police about possible explosives at his home, Oates said. Local and federal authorities later entered the apartment.

An FBI official told NBC News that the agency was working with local authorities on the investigation, but that there was no early indication of a link to terrorism. Holmes was not on any federal law-enforcement watch lists, authorities told NBC News.

In a statement, President Barack Obama said he was saddened by the "horrific and tragic shooting."

'Get us some damn gas masks'

Police raiding the theater in the hunt for the suspect had to ask for gas masks.

"Get us some damn gas masks for theater 9, we can't get in it," one officer radioed back to emergency dispatch during the operation, according to an excerpt aired on KUSA.

Brenda Stuart, of 850 KOA radio, told Sky News that bullets had passed from one theater into an adjoining one.

Moviegoers described scenes of chaos and terror inside the movie theater.

Seeger told TODAY there were "a lot of children" in the theater.

Continue here:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/20/12850048-12-shot-dead-at-dark-knight-rises-screening-in-aurora-colorado?lite&__utma=14933801.527863305.1342437672.1342788448.1342794421.19&__utmb=14933801.1.10.1342794421&__utmc=14933801&__utmx=-&__utmz=14933801.1342437672.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)|utmcct=/&__utmv=14933801.|8=Earned%20By=msnbc%7Ccover=1^12=Landing%20Content=Mixed=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=www.nbcnews.com=1^30=Visit%20Type%20to%20Content=Earned%20to%20Mixed=1&__utmk=83603734

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I was at that theater with my cousin just yesterday afternoon. We were shopping at the Aurora Town Centre mall with a friend. It's a popular hang out for teens. The death toll is up to 14.

Edited by Sofiyya

I was at that theater with my cousin just yesterday afternoon. We were shopping at the Aurora Town Centre mall with a friend. It's a popular hang out for teens. The death toll is up to 14.

It must have been frightening when you heard the news. To think that with a bit of different timing you could have been in the area or at the theater. Wow.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

It must have been frightening when you heard the news. To think that with a bit of different timing you could have been in the area or at the theater. Wow.

I'm up there all the time. I live 10 minutes from a south suburban mall, but this mall is near where I lived in Cherry Creek for 10 years, so, my credit union, my hair stylist, and lot of my shopping favorites are concentrated in this area. There's a huge police station a block from the mall to control gang activity, but, no one's expecting a med student to commit mass murder at a movie theater.

Another sad and shameful day in America.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Timeline

When the dust settles, I would love to read an interview on the actor by a Phsycologist.

My interest is in finding out why they pick on innocent parties, in this case movie goers. I mean, why didn't he just go off himself in the woods somewhere?

Edited by Gowon

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

When the dust settles, I would love to read an interview on the actor by a Phsycologist.

My interest is in finding out why they pick on innocent parties, in this case movie goers. I mean, why didn't he just go off himself in the woods somewhere?

My initial thought was that the act was tied to the movie and perhaps it was some motivating factor, but then when I thought about it more - a dark, cramped movie theater full of people would be an easy place for anyone wanting to just mow dozens of people down. People were frantically trying to escape, but he slowly walked up the aisle firing off tens of rounds in a matter of seconds. There was no place to hide or barricade oneself from the gunfire.

My initial thought was that the act was tied to the movie and perhaps it was some motivating factor, but then when I thought about it more - a dark, cramped movie theater full of people would be an easy place for anyone wanting to just mow dozens of people down. People were frantically trying to escape, but he slowly walked up the aisle firing off tens of rounds in a matter of seconds. There was no place to hide or barricade oneself from the gunfire.

It is scary smart how well he planned it. I am glad the cops didn't just go busting into his apartment and finish what he had planned.