28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

These days, mortgage payments can be less than rent for the same size home. However, renters don't pay property taxes, homeowners insurance, flood insurance (depends on where you live), earthquake insurance (depends on where you live), maintenance, homeowners association dues, etc. Renters often don't even pay for some or all of the utilities, especially water and trash collection.

My husband and I are lucky. our mortgage is less than we would pay renting. the mortgage includes an escrow account that pays property tax and homeowners insurance. We have 2 dogs and the pet deposit (if they let you have dogs at all) in some places is ridiculous. Yes we pay maintenance and have to mow and all that but honestly it's a far better financial situation.

This is my situation:

I've been married to my USC husband since 2008. I have a 10 yr GC. Two years ago we moved here in TExas because I found a better job as an RN and besides i have not adjusted to the cold weather in Illinois. When my husband followed me here, he didn't work for the next 9 mths...it was fine with me. Then last year, i ask him if he could help me with the finances and if he could find a job and he did. Since May last yr he has been working part time (24 hrs or less/wk) at a retail store. Two months ago, i was able to get a house. So naturally, our expenses are a little more. I asked him if he could find a full time job and this is where our problem is. He is so reluctant. He was offered a job last week but that requires him to drive some 40 miles and he said "i will never drive that far"! I explained to him that this is just temporary until he is able to find something nearer but for the meantime we need whatever little money he can contribute. I am paying for everything (mortgage, car, car insurance, house bills, med insurance, food, cellphone, house repairs, gas...everything!). This is really getting difficult for me. (He gets like 200$ every 2 wks for his part time job). I have a son from a previous marriage and sometimes i feel that i fall short to provide for him...

I don't know what to do...i'm so depressed, i feel that he is making me "pay" for letting him move here in Texas. It's not that he is alone here, he has a sister who lives within a mile from us and a brother too while I don't have a family here.

I'm so tired...i'm almost at the point of giving up :(

I've driven 90 miles per day round trip to work for the last 12 years. Tell your husband to grow up and be a man for a change. Whatever you do, don't spend any of your hard earned money on his lazy butt and I'd have him doing the laundry, cleaning, cooking etc. also.

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is my situation:

I've been married to my USC husband since 2008. I have a 10 yr GC. Two years ago we moved here in TExas because I found a better job as an RN and besides i have not adjusted to the cold weather in Illinois. When my husband followed me here, he didn't work for the next 9 mths...it was fine with me. Then last year, i ask him if he could help me with the finances and if he could find a job and he did. Since May last yr he has been working part time (24 hrs or less/wk) at a retail store. Two months ago, i was able to get a house. So naturally, our expenses are a little more. I asked him if he could find a full time job and this is where our problem is. He is so reluctant. He was offered a job last week but that requires him to drive some 40 miles and he said "i will never drive that far"! I explained to him that this is just temporary until he is able to find something nearer but for the meantime we need whatever little money he can contribute. I am paying for everything (mortgage, car, car insurance, house bills, med insurance, food, cellphone, house repairs, gas...everything!). This is really getting difficult for me. (He gets like 200$ every 2 wks for his part time job). I have a son from a previous marriage and sometimes i feel that i fall short to provide for him...

I don't know what to do...i'm so depressed, i feel that he is making me "pay" for letting him move here in Texas. It's not that he is alone here, he has a sister who lives within a mile from us and a brother too while I don't have a family here.

I'm so tired...i'm almost at the point of giving up :(

Just take a step back and pray. Appreciate all you have and things will work out for the better.

hugs**

Feb 3, 2012 - I129F sent
Feb 6, 2012 - NoA1 Received
August 22, 2012 - NoA2 ( 198 days!!!!!)
Sept 6, 2012 - NVC Received Case
Sept 10, 2012 - London Received Case
Sept 15, 2012 - Packet 3 Received
Sept 20, 2012 - Medical
Oct 5, 2012 - All forms sent to the embassy
Nov 5, 2012 - Interview
Nov 5, 2012 - Administrative Processing crying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifranting33va.gifcray5ol.gif

Love conquers all.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

How does the immigration forum relate to relationship advise?

Just like anyplace, we all has opinions on how to help your situation, but they're based on generalities..

My suggestion is two fold;

First, dont look to the internet for relationship advise..

Secondly, find friends, family, pastor or priest, or counseling..

THere is no way anyone should consider this website or any other internet resource as a place to even remotely solve any relationship problem..

for Immigration issues, this is an excellent resource, but all we can offer is general advise on your relationship..

Please tell me what you expect to get our of this thread..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

How does the immigration forum relate to relationship advise?

Just like anyplace, we all has opinions on how to help your situation, but they're based on generalities..

My suggestion is two fold;

First, dont look to the internet for relationship advise..

Secondly, find friends, family, pastor or priest, or counseling..

THere is no way anyone should consider this website or any other internet resource as a place to even remotely solve any relationship problem..

for Immigration issues, this is an excellent resource, but all we can offer is general advise on your relationship..

Please tell me what you expect to get our of this thread..

Lots of people come here for advice similar to what the OP asking.

Most people here are married or about to be so they can understand and attempt to help the OP.

Similarly, often it's easier to ask anonymously on an internet forum then to talk to friends or family.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Timeline

Lots of people come here for advice similar to what the OP asking.

Most people here are married or about to be so they can understand and attempt to help the OP.

Similarly, often it's easier to ask anonymously on an internet forum then to talk to friends or family.

Hey Xanax, I get that, But there are lots of forums where participants are married, it simply doesnt make sense to go to a website specializing in Immigration support to solve marital problems. The reason is, we can't possible know both sides and really, relationships are complex, so providing a few sentences doesnt give anyone the abilty to provide informed feedback..

You know, there is 3 sides to every story.. Your side, their side, and the truth.. so, it's sad to expose personal issue thinking their is something to be gained from it.. It would be sad if someone actually listened to advise given here,and It's irresponsible to act on relationship advise from a website as the consequences could be extremely damaging to a relationship..

I beleive strongly people, who are strugling in relationships are vulnerable.. And often look to the wrong place for guidance..

We cant solve the OP's problems.. This is a Immigration Website..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hey Xanax, I get that, But there are lots of forums where participants are married, it simply doesnt make sense to go to a website specializing in Immigration support to solve marital problems. The reason is, we can't possible know both sides and really, relationships are complex, so providing a few sentences doesnt give anyone the abilty to provide informed feedback..

You know, there is 3 sides to every story.. Your side, their side, and the truth.. so, it's sad to expose personal issue thinking their is something to be gained from it.. It would be sad if someone actually listened to advise given here,and It's irresponsible to act on relationship advise from a website as the consequences could be extremely damaging to a relationship..

I beleive strongly people, who are strugling in relationships are vulnerable.. And often look to the wrong place for guidance..

While I agree that there are many forums specializing in relationship stuff and advise, I do think that it's justified asking on VJ sinde some people can't relate to how it is originally being from overseas. I'd be frustrated, sad and p*ssed if I had to pay all bills without the prospect of seeing my Danish relatives once in a while because spouse decided not to contribute when the reason is "I don't want to".

Being frustrated only feeds the homesickness, IMO.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Timeline

While I agree that there are many forums specializing in relationship stuff and advise, I do think that it's justified asking on VJ sinde some people can't relate to how it is originally being from overseas. I'd be frustrated, sad and p*ssed if I had to pay all bills without the prospect of seeing my Danish relatives once in a while because spouse decided not to contribute when the reason is "I don't want to".

Being frustrated only feeds the homesickness, IMO.

sure, I could see that... Not sure I would do it, but can see your point...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

rpt - what's it look like, to hold off getting naked, until he comes back with a 5000/month job ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I think a lot of the VJ community just feel comfortable here asking or are asking about other immigration related stuff and see that this is a common trend (international relationships and marital problems) and they ask here.

I really see no harm, if someone wants to ask here and others are willing to try to help or give advice, why not? :blush:

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: Timeline

My husband and I are lucky. our mortgage is less than we would pay renting. the mortgage includes an escrow account that pays property tax and homeowners insurance. We have 2 dogs and the pet deposit (if they let you have dogs at all) in some places is ridiculous. Yes we pay maintenance and have to mow and all that but honestly it's a far better financial situation.

And it's very easy to do but most people think they deserve a McMansion and overbuy.

I've driven 90 miles per day round trip to work for the last 12 years. Tell your husband to grow up and be a man for a change. Whatever you do, don't spend any of your hard earned money on his lazy butt and I'd have him doing the laundry, cleaning, cooking etc. also.

My regular commute is 5 miles each way but occassionally drive 35 miles each way on some days. You do what you have to do to keep your family afloat and the account in the green.

rpt - what's it look like, to hold off getting naked, until he comes back with a 5000/month job ?

A fantasy that won't work. Unless of course a divorce from adultery is the aim.

I think a lot of the VJ community just feel comfortable here asking or are asking about other immigration related stuff and see that this is a common trend (international relationships and marital problems) and they ask here.

I really see no harm, if someone wants to ask here and others are willing to try to help or give advice, why not? :blush:

This is actually the best forum to ask on. We have a unique blend of shared common stuuf like immigration, government stuff, etc I still have coworkers that ask why my Fiancee is not here yet, they have no clue about what we have to go through to get someone here legally. Of course as Americans they get to travel to most places with no visa so the idea of asking permission to enter a country is foreign (pun) to most.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

great drift, but you do realize that the OP has already taken the plunge, and has secured a mortgage and a house, irrespective of your comments .

Her main concern, from what I can read here, is to engage her husband to get out and get a higher paying job and contribute to the 'family finances'.

I'm sorry, 200 every two weeks is less than what comes in on SSA disability, and he needs to be somewhere over 1000/week on a job.

Cable TV Installers, for example, earn at least 1000/week.

Can you guys focus, instead, on encouraging her with other job-related stuff for her husband?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.