caldridge4

Am I an ILLEGAL alien?!

68 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband (a US citizen) and I were married in the US on March 22, 2010. I returned to Canada shortly after we were married.

I came back to the US June 8, 2010. I have been here ever since. I flew here and was inspected by a US Border Patrol officer. He granted me admissible, and did not give me any travel document. He also did not stamp my passport.

I have been here for just over 2 years now.

AOS Timeline

3/22/2010 - Married!!

6/8/2010 - Re-entered US

6/9/2012 - Mailed I485, I130, I765

6/15/2012 - NOA1, accepted!

7/10/2012 - Biometrics appointment

TRYING to be patient...

Now I could be wrong here, but I do not believe you are illegal, you are out of status, this is down to the fact you came in to the country legally and overstayed. I believe "illegal" is when you are an undocumented visitor to the US, you have entered through channels other than manned border crossings etc. Why haven't you filed AOS yet?

Edited by BethandBilly

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was granted ADMISSABLE.

We had a very sick child who took up literally 24-hours a day. I have now applied. I just got my biometrics appointment letter today, for July 10.

AOS Timeline

3/22/2010 - Married!!

6/8/2010 - Re-entered US

6/9/2012 - Mailed I485, I130, I765

6/15/2012 - NOA1, accepted!

7/10/2012 - Biometrics appointment

TRYING to be patient...

I was granted ADMISSABLE.

We had a very sick child who took up literally 24-hours a day. I have now applied. I just got my biometrics appointment letter today, for July 10.

Sorry to hear about your child, I hope all is going well now.

No to put it bluntly you are not illegal, so don't stress :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from AOS from Family visa to AOS from Tourist ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I actually think that if it came to it, you're not even out of status, as Canadians are typically granted entry to the US under different provisions than nationals of other countries. There's some policy memo on this but it's not something to get worked up over. Just get that AOS finished and get your permanent residency!

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter

4MLHm5.pngCzLqp9.png

You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

I actually think that if it came to it, you're not even out of status, as Canadians are typically granted entry to the US under different provisions than nationals of other countries. There's some policy memo on this but it's not something to get worked up over. Just get that AOS finished and get your permanent residency!

Canadians are only supposed to stay a maximum of 6 months. She is out of status.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Canadians are only supposed to stay a maximum of 6 months. She is out of status.

Canadians are special. ;)

There is some memo or something - I've read it on this website before. It basically says that unless a Canadian is ordered out by a judge or border patrol, they're ok. I'd have to go looking for it, but I'm sure that's what Carlos and Amy is referring to.

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

Timeline

Ok, I went looking and I can't find it. As I recall it had something to do with not accumulating unlawful presence until after you're ordered out. But you're still only supposed to stay 6 months. So I wouldn't go treading into Arizona or anything. :devil:

AOS

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

My husband (a US citizen) and I were married in the US on March 22, 2010. I returned to Canada shortly after we were married.

I came back to the US June 8, 2010. I have been here ever since. I flew here and was inspected by a US Border Patrol officer. He granted me admissible, and did not give me any travel document. He also did not stamp my passport.

I have been here for just over 2 years now.

Your timeline indicates you are in the process of AOS. In that manner you are not here illegally, unless I missed something.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Yes, of course you are an illegal alien. You know full well you came on a tourist visa and you do not have permission to live in the US. You have overstayed your allotted time and are now accumulating days of illegal presence. Luckily, that will be irrelevant/forgiven once your Greencard is approved.

Canadians don't get tourist visas.

If there's an issue, I would think it would be what was said to the agent at the border. But even then it was so long ago, will it matter now?

AOS

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.