schuecl

Foreign Spouse Question

24 posts in this topic

Came across another question while going through the CR-1 guide. The guide has listed that I need a copy of my marriage certificate and a proof of a bonifide marriage. Are these two not the same thing? Can I not use my marriage certificate as proof of a bonifide marriage? I ask because we have no assets with both our names on them, so I can't prove it through financial means.

A marriage certificate alone means it is a real marriage on paper, but it does not necessarily mean it is a real marriage in spirit. They want some indication that your marriage has not been entered into for the purpose of immigration fraud. It's okay that you do not have many joint financial documents (you are newlyweds relatively speaking and have not lived together since marriage). You can use "proof of relationship" things, like show how often you visit, photos of you together, etc. Also, affidavits written by people that know your relationship are specifically listed as a type of evidence.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

A marriage certificate alone means it is a real marriage on paper, but it does not necessarily mean it is a real marriage in spirit. They want some indication that your marriage has not been entered into for the purpose of immigration fraud. It's okay that you do not have many joint financial documents (you are newlyweds relatively speaking and have not lived together since marriage). You can use "proof of relationship" things, like show how often you visit, photos of you together, etc. Also, affidavits written by people that know your relationship are specifically listed as a type of evidence.

For bonafide documentation, you want to show a timeline since the time of marriage. As noted, pictures together, pictures of wedding, pictures with family members. Any travels to visit between the time you are stateside. While you were still in her country: did you rent? Copies of lease. Any joint accounts you might have had. You might have not joint assets now, but how about before? Any deposits in her account while you were in the military (if not in her country). When she was here with you: pictures of you together with your family. Assuming you did introduce her as your wife to other family members, friends, etc: affidavits from those people to that effect. If doesn't have to be a book, but you want to clearly show with no doubts that a marriage is active and effective. Since the time you are here and she is there, phone logs, e-mails, money orders.

While this might sound silly, you might be asked why didn't you file CR1 before; why didn't you adjust while she was here before, etc; and as noted in other posts, while technically possible and the legality questionable; you/her might get those sort of questions.

Several posts have been removed. It is a violation of the VJ Terms of Service to advise anybody to commit a fraudulent or illegal act, or make a fraudulent statement during the immigration process.

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

We submitted 16 pictures of us together with our family. Pictures from Thanksgiving, Christmas, graduation, etc. I know some ppl send a lot more pictures :yes: We also submitted two letters from my mother and my mother in law to prove the bonafide marriage.

Married May 2011

10/07/2011: NOA1

12/15/2011: NOA2

01/12/2012: NVC case number arrived

01/13/2012: DS-3032 emailed

01/27/2012: Barcode arrived via e-mail

03/06/2012: I-864&DS-230 sent together

03/13/2012: RFE

04/16/2012: Additional documents sent

05/02/2012: NVC case complete

05/14/2012: Medical

06/04/2012: Interview--->approved

06/05/2012: Visa arrived in mail

LAX POE Review

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from AOS to CR-1 forum as this is the path the OP needs to persue ***

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Came across another question while going through the CR-1 guide. The guide has listed that I need a copy of my marriage certificate and a proof of a bonifide marriage. Are these two not the same thing? Can I not use my marriage certificate as proof of a bonifide marriage? I ask because we have no assets with both our names on them, so I can't prove it through financial means.

I just sent a copy of my marriage certificate. Q: Are you currently in Reserves for the military? Can you be reactivated? I think there might have been a quicker way for you to bring your wife here; read the DCF sections in visa forums. It pertains to a USC, living in foreign country, ie, active military, applying for visa in THAT country, ie, Korea, and the process is expedited. A matter of months. I think other than that, 130 petition is the correct option for you. TIP: When gathering documents needed, get at least 2, 3 is better, certified copies of all documents that you will need, ie, Marr Cert, Birth Cert. Good luck, be patient...many of us in the same boat!

Honest curiosity as this was something my husband and I had looked into before we were married but I thought US embassies did not perform marriages. How were you able to get married at the US embassy in Korea? Is this something specific to being in the military?

Proof could be photos. Phone call records. Add wife to insurance. Bank account. Etc.

If you send her money to support her, then that could be proof of bonafide marriage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.